Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Serious problem with aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

I have an SCT tuner, got the tuner and the 93 octane pref. tune from Dallas Mustangs.

I do NOT have a CAI. I just have the tune. I do plan on getting a CAI soon though.

I have 3.73 gears, upgraded from the stock 3.31 I believe. Thats all i've changed. Oh...that, and the exhaust. LT headers, O/R Prochamber (no cats) and Boomtubes.

I do have 18" rims, but they came with the car. Maybe the stock computer would be thinking 17...Not sure if it matters, but thats "EVERY SINGLE ONE"

Can I still pull up the codes on the SCT?
Old 09-16-2008, 03:33 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

So I just got the car back from the dealership. The Electronic Throttle Control is still on, but the car seems to drive well. No other codes at the moment. I'm really really hoping that when I disconnect the battery, install the stock O2 sensors with the extenders, and then connect the battery back up...that the Electronic Throttle Control will be gone.

If not...well ****, that means there are problems with the electronic computers or wiring somewhere right? That'd suck
Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

Buuuuump. Really looking for any help or advice here
Old 09-17-2008, 09:38 AM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

I say get the computer reset, and replace the o2 parts as needed. If there is still a problem, then you may have an electrical issue and someplace like Autozone or Pepboys should be able to diagnose that.

Remember, our PCM's are constantly changing the way the car runs to optimize performance. If you correct an issue, then it needs to be cleared, or the car mightnot realize the problem has been fixxed. If there is a customized tune or calibration installed, then that might confuse the computer even more.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

If it were my problem I would replace the wires that were damaged, disconnect the battery, return to stock calibration and try again. If it runs properly then reinstall the tune. I'm pretty sure the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is fused so it shouldn't have taken a direct hit.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:20 PM
MuchToLearn
2nd Gear Member

For all of you saying I should disc. the battery, return to stock calibration, and get the computer reset....

Yes, I've done all that.

Yes, I also plan on changing the O2 sensors when the extenders come in.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Why did you connect o2 sensors to a catless exhaust? Most people disconnect them and disable the sensors with the tune. If it's running fine why are you still asking for advice?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
If it's running fine why are you still asking for advice?
He's doing it to torment you!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Mishri LT's only have two sensor inputs, driver/passenger, not four. Therefore he HAD to attach them otherwise the car woudl not run at all. What happens is the front O2 sensors (that would be before the cats) get moved down the line, thus the extenders. The rear two are gone completely since there is no place to put them in.

When the wires fused it probably jacked the PCM which is why it went into limp mode. Dealership probably just reset teh computer which means the aftermarket tune is gone. He'll have to have his tuner unlocked and reload the tune into the car.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

my exhaust still has 4 O2 sensors, and i have LT's and o/r x pipe. all 4 of my sensors are in, but the rear ones are turned off, runs great.

OP: if you reset the CEL and its running fine i wouldnt worry about it. you could dyno it again to check, but if you reset it and it comes on again then something's wrong.

Quick Reply: Serious problem with aftermarket exhaust