Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post

You will never convince me that a Champion plug 'knows' it is in a Ford and won't run right or that a Bosch 'knows' it is in a Chevy and will miss-fire. Spark plugs just aren't that smart.
PZero is right. It is NOT urban legend/myth/wives tale. His rundown of the brands to use in certain cars is spot on. I own a shop and learned from experience not to use Champions in a Ford. I always thought, a plug is a plug. And yeah, how does it know its in a Ford? Couldnt tell ya any type of logical or reasonably sane answer. I just know I had too many returns when using Champions in a Ford. And being a shop owner, its sucks to have someone come back later and say "Its doing it again". That just lends credence to all those that think too many shops are just out to get money, or worse yet, incompetent. I dont want to have to do something again. It just plain looks bad.
Not everyone will have problems with using Champions in Fords. Just like not all of us have the fuel fill-up issue, or water leak into the passenger compartment, or any other sort of common issue with S197's. Its nice to know that Champion designed their new plug as a one piece. Helps eliminate one issue. I have said it before, and I will not change my mind about it. I will not install these Champions into my Mustang, or anyone elses (unless they request them), until time has proven these plugs will not cause problems 3mo later. When people pay for work to be done, its expected to be done correctly. You not only pay for parts and labor, but the knowledge and experience of HOW to do it correctly. Using certain brands falls in to the 'how' category.

Tomorrow, I have an 05 Saturn Vue V6 scheduled for a tune-up. Can ANYONE guess which plugs I will be using?...

Nope, guess again....

NGK, FTW.. Why? because the V6 used in the Vue is a Honda 3.5L.
Knowledge, baby, knowledge!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
3"MagnaFlow Exhaust
BBK Headers
SSB Brake lines

Last edited by SCCAGT; 09-25-2008 at 05:41 PM.
SCCAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: '05 vert

I suggest leaving the plugs alone, you have very little mileage on them. If you're real ****, then pull, clean and replace with some antiseize on them. I'm willing to bet they'll look like new when you pull them.

If you want to replace them then get the OEM or the HT0's but, in N/A car, I see no reason to choose the HT0 over the HT1.

Personally I'm sticking with my HT0's until something comes out that's proven to be better and will last longer in a S/C car.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Champion Plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCAGT View Post
PZero is right. It is NOT urban legend/myth/wives tale. His rundown of the brands to use in certain cars is spot on. I own a shop and learned from experience not to use Champions in a Ford. I always thought, a plug is a plug. And yeah, how does it know its in a Ford? Couldnt tell ya any type of logical or reasonably sane answer. I just know I had too many returns when using Champions in a Ford. And being a shop owner, its sucks to have someone come back later and say "Its doing it again". That just lends credence to all those that think too many shops are just out to get money, or worse yet, incompetent. I dont want to have to do something again. It just plain looks bad.
Not everyone will have problems with using Champions in Fords. Just like not all of us have the fuel fill-up issue, or water leak into the passenger compartment, or any other sort of common issue with S197's. Its nice to know that Champion designed their new plug as a one piece. Helps eliminate one issue. I have said it before, and I will not change my mind about it. I will not install these Champions into my Mustang, or anyone elses (unless they request them), until time has proven these plugs will not cause problems 3mo later. When people pay for work to be done, its expected to be done correctly. You not only pay for parts and labor, but the knowledge and experience of HOW to do it correctly. Using certain brands falls in to the 'how' category.

Tomorrow, I have an 05 Saturn Vue V6 scheduled for a tune-up. Can ANYONE guess which plugs I will be using?...

Nope, guess again....

NGK, FTW.. Why? because the V6 used in the Vue is a Honda 3.5L.
Knowledge, baby, knowledge!
Not looking for a pissing contest, but I have 5 mos. and 7,000 miles on my Champions and my car has never run any better. I have never regretted my choice. Maybe I'm lucky, but I think a lot of it is the installer.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 PM   #14
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 Mustang GT

Some people believe in urban legends and I'm okay with that. I don't.

BTW, Elvis and Jim Morrison really are dead.
GT Appearance Pkg w/ Interior Upgrade Pkg
18" Polished Fan Blade Wheels
Airaid CAI w/ FRPP Tune
Roush Lowering Springs
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT

Is the spark plug problem a big issue? I know the plugs are an unconventional design but I haven't heard of them causing major problems. Whats the deal? ThANKs
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #16
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaGT View Post
Is the spark plug problem a big issue? I know the plugs are an unconventional design but I haven't heard of them causing major problems. Whats the deal? ThANKs
The problem with the plugs, is that the lower portion has a tendancy to break off due to carbon build-up around it "cementing" it in the head. This problem is normally reserved for higher mileage 4.6l and 5.4l 3 valve engines, however, some with lower mileage have had problems with it breaking off as well. The preventative measure is to take them out early (following the TSB guideline), clean them off or replace them, and use nickel anti-sieze on the lower portion of the plug to prevent them from bonding to the head.

The idea of which brand to use is a different issue, and that choice is at your discretion.

My choice is Autolites. As a shop owner, its not in my best interest to do work on someones car knowing a part/brand may cause problems. I already said, not everyone has a problem with it, but I cant risk that. I have to take all precautions to make sure its done right the first time. Myth or not, I know what I've seen happen, and not happen since I followed the 'mythical' guidelines of brand usage.
3"MagnaFlow Exhaust
BBK Headers
SSB Brake lines

Last edited by SCCAGT; 09-26-2008 at 10:33 AM.
SCCAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 06 GT

Cool thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #18
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Mustang GT
shamekh rshamekh rshamekh

Anyone tried the Brisk spark plugs with FI?
Are they better than the HT0's?

On brenspeed's website it says that it's 2 heat
ranges colder than stock, while the HT0's are
only 1 heat range colder!
I'm new to this, so I'd like your input please.
  • 3.5" Dynotech Aluminum Driveshaft
  • ProKit, D-Specs, BMR & Steeda Rear Suspension
  • CT-R Wheels (18x9F 255/45, 18x10R 295/45)
Next:
  • FRPP 3.73 Gears (M-4209-F373N)
rshamekh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:55 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1966, 46, 50, 7989, champion, cobra, motorcraft, mustang, na, nonresistor, plugs, resistor, spark, sparks, work