Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thinking about a tuner for my lease 09 GT...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
dfacto

Default Thinking about a tuner for my lease 09 GT...

I've had a leased 2009 GT for a month or so and it just doesn't seem as much fun as it used to be. I was wondering about buying a used tuner for the time I have the lease and then selling it when the lease is up. My buddy tells me that it has to be unlocked if your buying it used though, how do I know its unlocked and how do I unlock it again after I use it?

Are the SCT's with preloaded tunes my only option for the 09? And they have the ability to set your tune back to stock after your done with it right?

Also, whats the difference between a preloaded tune and a "custom" tune?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Not sure how to unlock it, but a preloaded tune is when a company uses a test car and makes a tune off their car. they then use that same tune for all other cars with the same mods. A custom tune means your car will be on a dyno and they adjust certain variables to give it the best possible numbers. Since not all engines and cars are created equal, a custom tune will give you better results over a preloaded or "can" tune.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:10 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

i think unlock means that the guy that last used it had to reset his car to stock before selling it to you, thus unlocking it.. haha you've had it for a month and you're saying its not as fast as it used to be like you've had if for a long time.. i'm not sure about the other questions but i think a custom tune is better.. and it doesn't mean its on a dyno.. thats called a dyno tune.. you can order a custom tune from bamachips or brenspeed.. depending on what kinda gas you use, 87, 89, 91, 93.. and what kinda tune you want, performance, torque, or race.. most ppl get 91 or 93 race.. i got 93 torque and i love it.. just call one of those places and ask them about the tunes and they'll be great help.. thats how i decided on the tq tune

Last edited by EMichael; 09-28-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
xtremesaleen
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMichael
i think unlock means that the guy that last used it had to reset his car to stock before selling it to you, thus unlocking it.. haha you've had it for a month and you're saying its not as fast as it used to be like you've had if for a long time.. i'm not sure about the other questions but i think a custom tune is better.. and it doesn't mean its on a dyno.. thats called a dyno tune.. you can order a custom tune from bamachips or brenspeed.. depending on what kinda gas you use, 87, 89, 91, 93.. and what kinda tune you want, performance, torque, or race.. most ppl get 91 or 93 race.. i got 93 torque and i love it.. just call one of those places and ask them about the tunes and they'll be great help.. thats how i decided on the tq tune
+1 Each tuner (SCT at least) can only be used on up to 5 Vin #'s so thats another factor you will have to consider when buying a used tuner.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

I aquired a used tuner. I reset the car it was mated to back to stock thus unlocking it and then I downloaded the new tunes to the tuner and uploaded the tunes to the car. There is still three unlocks left on the tuner. I leased my car as well. I installed mufflers, cai and a tune and I will reset it all back to stock before I turn it in.