Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Belt drive for the Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 05:49 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I got mine from NAPA auto parts for $42. It's part # K061247 and if they give you problems tell them it's in their Kentucky distribution plant or have them call Laura at gates...

Originally Posted by moosestang
I ordered one from whipple for $89. I called them directly. they sent me a gates belt which I have had on the car since then, the stock belt is in the trunk.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:05 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nicely done blue! this is excellent.

i believe moose bought his over a year ago and
back then, whipple was the only known source,
or at least the only guaranteed way to get a
hold of one, in a timely manner...
Old 12-08-2008, 06:21 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

most places wont even check. when i was having belt/pulley issues most places just told me "we dont carry that size, i'll call and check the distrubutor and get back to you." i had to call this one shop 3 or 4 times untill i got pissed off at the sales guy then he finally found it at their distributor but after all that going on for 2 days, i told him never mind and i went to the 8 rib.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:43 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I made my mind up that I wasn't going to polish this turd by throwing more money at it. Belt slippage is a thing of the past now because I went with the more economical version.. I have the $100 steeda weld job tensioner and a $42 gates belt after calling several local Napa's and going into one.. The lady at the counter broke out their vendor's book and we went to town calling distributers. After my 15 minute conversation with gates (several reps) I was able to run down the belt with the aid of Glenda at my local Napa... This all was done on my luch break... I was not paying $600 for a great but IMO $100 part. I will sell my whipple if I have to bolt anything else on it to make it operate as advertized.... But I will be a turbo owner soon anyways...

Originally Posted by onederful100
most places wont even check. when i was having belt/pulley issues most places just told me "we dont carry that size, i'll call and check the distrubutor and get back to you." i had to call this one shop 3 or 4 times untill i got pissed off at the sales guy then he finally found it at their distributor but after all that going on for 2 days, i told him never mind and i went to the 8 rib.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:24 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
But I will be a turbo owner soon anyways...
You must be going for 10's with the 8psi twin turbo from team performance.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:43 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

I'm just gonna make it a 10 sec car.. Moose I'm just a turbo guy the whipple was the best bang for the buck.

You must be going for 10's with the 8psi twin turbo from team performance.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blueherd02gt
I'm just gonna make it a 10 sec car.. Moose I'm just a turbo guy the whipple was the best bang for the buck.
I think the best bang for the buck is the paxton kit from brenspeed, but that's neither here nor there. The whipple was the most reliable and easiest to install imo and has been for me. To many centris have failed prematurely in the past for me to go that route.

This new belt drive for the whipple is great for those wanting to make big power and run lots of boost, but it will probably be out of my price range and really unnecessary at this stage in my cars life.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Well the reality of our dillema is we want to have that feeling of accomplishment for all the time and effort we put in our cars and money.. I'm not sure I want to cage this car, and take the necessary steps needed to make it quicker than a 10 sec car.. Look at the guys that tried, they have almost all given up. One's car is for sale here... And why? Because it simply wasn't worth it

This new belt drive for the whipple is great for those wanting to make big power and run lots of boost, but it will probably be out of my price range and really unnecessary at this stage in my cars life.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:53 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Moose I think for some people that have belt slip at 10+psi it would be a worthy investment as I cannot see ever decreasing boost on this unit (2.3L) and forging the motor is definitely in the mix in the not so distant future.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Someone who is more motivated than me should set up a gate belt group buy. I will take 2.

Moose,

I dont know what I was thinking when I posted a 3.2" pulley, I am running a 3.375 now.

Like I said I had 0 issues with my belt, but I decided to drop the money on a thumprr tensioner becuase I didnt want it to become an issue, and it hasnt.

If/when I forge and up the boost I would probably run the belt drive set-up. I like that it runs a standard belt so in an emergency you can remove the SC belt and baby it home. Plus finding belts is easier.

Hell if I am dropping money down for a new motor, clutch, probably trans, I will drop the $500+ on a nice belt drive.

Quick Reply: New Belt drive for the Whipple