Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Belt drive for the Whipple

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 AM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

wow that is high!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:10 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Yeah I thought it would be high but not that high!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

This setup is not recommended for stock engines. It hits the engine hard. Use on stock engines is at your own risk. This is for serious racers with built engines that want rock solid reliability and zero slip. You think you don't have belt slip with the stock setup, but you do.

Its hard to describe, but when you listen to these cars on the dyno when you hammer the throttle it sounds like it picks up instantly, until you hear a car with our setup. With our belt drive set up on tip in the car is a totally different car. You hear the difference in response right through the exhaust. It sounds like the car explodes with power on tip in. You have to hear it to really appreciate the difference. Of course you can tell the difference when you drive the car as well. The car feels much more responsive due to the instantaneous response with no slip.

Also, a major cost of the kit is the different snout from Whipple. Try to price one from them and you will see what I mean. It was necessary to make a dedicated drive and it ads significant cost to the kit, but its worth it if you want absolutely no slip or belt throwing under any condition.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I didn't know you had to change the snout. I guess an 8 rib setup is more than enough for my needs, but factoring in the cost of a thumprrr tensioner would put it close to your belt drive.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

what about pulley options for those seeking higher boost. Or is 13 psi only thing available?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by nem
what about pulley options for those seeking higher boost. Or is 13 psi only thing available?
Hopefully they have up to 20+ psi! When I get forged I will buy this...I wonder if you had a different crank pulley (10% O.D.) if it would mate well with this belt drive? Do they make different pulleys for the belt drive?

Originally Posted by moosestang
I didn't know you had to change the snout. I guess an 8 rib setup is more than enough for my needs, but factoring in the cost of a thumprrr tensioner would put it close to your belt drive.
I tallied that as well and IMO it will be about the same price as mentioned above and your guaranteed 13 psi and no belt slip and if you recall what SteedaGus wrote is that it pulls like no other!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:04 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Ah..... Unless you already own a thumprr

I will most likely go 8 rib as 13-14psi will be the most i would want to run.

If I was going for 20psi that would be a no brainer.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:12 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

I just called Steeda and was told only the 13 LB pulley will be available.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nem
I just called Steeda and was told only the 13 LB pulley will be available.

You definitely didnt talk to me.

We are working on something, but my guys have not been told what since it has not been finalized..... Pulleys for bigger boost are in the works......

Gus
Old 01-19-2009, 07:50 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
You definitely didnt talk to me.

We are working on something, but my guys have not been told what since it has not been finalized..... Pulleys for bigger boost are in the works......

Gus

i didnt ask for a name. that is what i was told. I would think with the release of the belt drive and the pulley it comes with there would be different combos at the intial release.

Quick Reply: New Belt drive for the Whipple