Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My project

Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Cyruss

Question My project

Hi,

As I said in my presentation, I have a 2006 V6 for the moment, but I will buy a V8 as soon as the V6 is sold.

I will modified the GT right away, here are my choice :

- KN CAI
- BBK TB 62mm
- Borla headers LT (because it's the only brand with a complete front-end kit)
- Borla X-pipe
- Borla agressive exhaust
- tune

- Ford Racing handling pack
- short shifter

I have a couple of question : (maybe stupid )

- for this kind of modification, which are the best diameter for the headers : 1 5/8' or 1 3/4' (there are the choice for the AMR headers for example)

- I read that Kooks or AMR made some best headers. If I take AMR headers and X pipe, what kind of catback will you recommended ?

- I found a lot of computer to tune the car. With this configuration, do you know if there are some computer which match perfectly or I will have to make a custom tune on a dyno ?

- Is there any difference between the Ford racing handling pack and the ROUSH handling pack?

Thanks.

PS : Big brake kit will be the next step .......

PS2 : sorry for my english ... I'm not american
Old 10-13-2008, 12:57 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cyruss
Hi,

As I said in my presentation, I have a 2006 V6 for the moment, but I will buy a V8 as soon as the V6 is sold.

I will modified the GT right away, here are my choice :

- JLT2 or C&L
- Stock Throttle Body
- Borla headers LT (because it's the only brand with a complete front-end kit)
- Borla X-pipe
- Borla agressive exhaust
- tune

- Put together your own suspension package it will be better.
- short shifter: Billet Hurst

I have a couple of question : (maybe stupid )

- for this kind of modification, which are the best diameter for the headers : 1 5/8'

- I read that Kooks or AMR made some best headers. If I take AMR headers and X pipe, what kind of catback will you recommended ? To many options.

- XCAL 3 w/ tune from Brenspeed/Bama or custom dyno tune

- Is there any difference between the Ford racing handling pack and the ROUSH handling pack? I would put together my own package.

Thanks.

PS : Big brake kit will be the next step .......

PS2 : sorry for my english ... I'm not american
Thats my little editing.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:08 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a good setup, like cobra said; brenspeed or bama are good tunes you can get emailed to you or ship if you order there combo's(intake/tuner). I know brenspeed does upgrades w/ your tune when you purchase other mods for your car from him. I'm also under the impression that doug from BAMA also upgrades your tunes for free no matter where you purchased ur next modds.

for basic bolt ons, I would keep w/ email tunes to save $$$ If you go to like cams, heads, or FI then I think a dyno would be worth it.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Cyruss

Thanks for your reply,

You advice me to keep the stock TB, can I ask why ?

So, after a few search :
- C&L Racer Intake : bigger mass air housing and cheaper than the "C&L Street"
- The Borla LT headers are 1 3/4', so I will go with a AMR 1 5/8' + X-pipe.
- catback ... I will try to find some sound clip on youtube
- ok for the email tune with Brenspeed. Do you have a website for BAMA ?

Concerning the handling package, I'll go on track (there is 3 track around here, less than 1h of driving). They are very twisty track.
I think I need at least the Lowering Springs, Strut Tower and shocks. I don't know if the Sway bar are so bad than I think

I have something like 4500$ budget for the modifications.

Last edited by Cyruss; 10-13-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 10-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Cyruss

another question, with that exhaust system without cats, would I have some check engine light because of the 02 sensors ?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Cyruss

One more, the X pipe from AMR is 2,5inch (if I correctly understood the website), so I'll have to find a 2,5inch catback system.

What do you think about the 2,5 to 3inch cat back system ? Is it usefull in NA engine (I don't think so but I'm not a pro).
Old 10-13-2008, 03:35 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

For the suspension, and even the engine performance, Steeda is hard to beat. They have been making mustangs go through the twisties for awhile now.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:40 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

Even though the 4.0 isnt as strong as the gt, the v-6 is better balanced form a handling point of view. With heads, cams, and good bolt-ons in addition to suspension and gears, the 4.0 would be strong on a twisty road course.

just my opinion
Old 10-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Cyruss

You may be right, but - as all my friend says - US car must have a v8

Why did you said that the V6 is better balanced ? because of a less weight ? there isn't a huge difference (50kg ?).
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Cyruss

These two things could be interrested :
- Steeda Handling Pak - Stage 2 : http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_...ak_stage_2.php
- Steeda Heavy Duty Upper Strut Mounts : http://www.steeda.com/products/heavy...nts_street.php

I have setup some upper strut mounts on one friend cars (japonese car sorry ), he also have a complete modified shocks, springs, Strut Tower Brace ... the difference was huge !

all of that it's more than my budget, but maybe in a few month €/$ will be more interrested !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My project