Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help on H pipe A.S.A.P.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
2007_Stang
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Need help on H pipe A.S.A.P.

Hello all... I've recently purchased my 2007 GT/CS about a month ago and have since put on the Pypes Mid Mufflers. I also purchased a Pypes O/R H-pipe and have recently heard that it will void any of my factory drivetrain warranty and turn on a check engine light once I install it.

What I would like to know is if this is true or not about the warranty and also about the check engine light. I don't want to be without a check engine light incase something does go wrong and I would also like to know what triggers it to go off as well.

I don't want to hear from all the people second hand, but rather from the people who have experience with this kind of stuff or the people who have installed this setup or similar with the O/R H-pipe on their cars. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but I don't want to take a chance of harming my new car.

P.S. I also don't have a tune or anything to modify it which is what I have heard people of doing, but I may be able to grab a tuner from one of my buddies so I can run my pipes. Please let me know a.s.a.p. if possible since I'm looking at installing the O/R H-pipe tommorow or friday morning/ afternoon.

Thanks,
~Tyler~
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM
emptypockets8125

Well I can tell you that your engine will come on after about 30 miles of driving. I just put on a bassani o/r x and axle back bassani mufflers. I just got my car about a month ago so I know what you mean. The only way is to put high flow converters on and that will give you a little more sound and hp but your engine light will not come on!!!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

Ok your warranty can not be voided just by putting on a performance part. Now if you come on there with something exhaust related and they can proof your h pipe caused the failier they can deny it. The h pipe without cats will set of a cell i think you would need a tune to turn off or recalibrate the corresponding O2 sensors.

I had an SRT-4 before the mustang and it was moded and never had a problem with warranty repair if the part did not cause the problem.

Last edited by Sp3kter; 10-16-2008 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:15 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

I have the H pipe and can tell you that ONE you're CEL light will almost definitely come on (there have been cases of it not) and TWO ford can't just void you're warranty. First off the you would have to have some kind of engine problem and Second they would have to directly link that problem to the H pipe to not cover it. I go into the dealer with full bolt on's and gears and they still service the car no-problem and this dealer is far from hot-rod friendly!

I will however tell you the dealer will most likely not work on your vehicle b/c of the O/R set-up. You will probably have to switch back to the stock pipe and bring it in like that. This also solves your worry of the H voiding your warranty. BTW this is just going on how things are done around here, I'm in NJ and they are strict about exhaust set-ups. Hope this helps
- Scott
Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I guess since I haven't voided my warranty or had a CEL due to deleting my cats that I'm unqualified to answer your question. Too bad. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently, too. Dang...
Old 10-16-2008, 10:07 AM
2007_Stang
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by VistaGT
I have the H pipe and can tell you that ONE you're CEL light will almost definitely come on (there have been cases of it not) and TWO ford can't just void you're warranty. First off the you would have to have some kind of engine problem and Second they would have to directly link that problem to the H pipe to not cover it. I go into the dealer with full bolt on's and gears and they still service the car no-problem and this dealer is far from hot-rod friendly!

I will however tell you the dealer will most likely not work on your vehicle b/c of the O/R set-up. You will probably have to switch back to the stock pipe and bring it in like that. This also solves your worry of the H voiding your warranty. BTW this is just going on how things are done around here, I'm in NJ and they are strict about exhaust set-ups. Hope this helps
- Scott
Thanks for the information Scott. I think I'm going to go ahead and put the pipe on today and see how it goes for a while. My father who is also really into my mustang and believing that I shouldn't put it on because of the light; says if it does come on the H-pipe is comming off which I agree with somewhat because then I won't have a true CEL to know if something else is wrong with the motor.

Thanks again to they guys who helped, and Nuke I would say you seem to be lucky with no lights comming on if you don't have a tune.

~Tyler~
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I still have my cats...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I agree with all the above, cant void your warranty, and you will get a CEL.

It is just coming up to say you have a defective cat since the 02 sensor is seeing "uncleaned" air, which it should since the cat is gone

What you should really do is call up Brenspeed and get a CAI and tuner. Tell them about the O/R pipe and they will turn off you rear O2's. Problem solved no light.

Plus you will get 20-30 more hp and fix that horrible drive by wire throttle. It is a must.

Congrats and the car and good luck.

And just FYI alot of people on here dont have every mod done to their car but they still might be very knowledgable (like Nuke). Better to get all opinions and filter from there. It is the internet after all so you have to expect to filter through tons of crap for the good stuff.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:17 PM
2007_Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
I agree with all the above, cant void your warranty, and you will get a CEL.

It is just coming up to say you have a defective cat since the 02 sensor is seeing "uncleaned" air, which it should since the cat is gone

What you should really do is call up Brenspeed and get a CAI and tuner. Tell them about the O/R pipe and they will turn off you rear O2's. Problem solved no light.

Plus you will get 20-30 more hp and fix that horrible drive by wire throttle. It is a must.

Congrats and the car and good luck.

And just FYI alot of people on here dont have every mod done to their car but they still might be very knowledgable (like Nuke). Better to get all opinions and filter from there. It is the internet after all so you have to expect to filter through tons of crap for the good stuff.

Hey no harm meant by not wanting other people's opinions, but what I really wanted to know is if anyone running the off road H without the tune has had any problems.

I have discussed my situation with brenspeed and they do know that I purchased the H-pipe because I got it from them, but I just don't have the extra $600 to fork out right now to get a tuner and intake. I would like to find some MIL eleminators or something for the time being because the next mod i will do is going to be the intake and tune.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:57 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

In that case I would just recommend that you hold off on the H pipe install till you get the tuner and CAI.

I dont know the cost of the MIL's of the top of my head but they will be wasted mod $$ when you do get the tuner since they can just turn off the rear O2;s in the tune.

Hard to wait I know but it is the best solution.

Hope it all works out, and enjoy the car.

Quick Reply: Need help on H pipe A.S.A.P.