Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dyno tuning vs. Flash programming ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 03:03 PM
nitrojunkee
1st Gear Member

Default Dyno tuning vs. Flash programming ?

Any thoughts on which might be better ?
Old 05-24-2005, 03:26 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dyno tuning vs. Flash programming ?

Well, the dyno is used in conjunction with a flash tune. The dyno helps you to verify that the flash tune is good and accurate.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:00 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Exactly... It seems that there a lot of people that are in a state of confusion concerning the flashing or tuning of the car. Some think that you can go for a "custom" tune and the guys hook up some sort of reader to load a tune on for you, but that is not the case. A tuner is always required when making any modifications or tweaks to your on board computer. The flash tuners (Diablo and SCT) will mate to your specific car, or whichever car you load a tune onto. Until you remove the custom tune and load the stcok values back into your car, the unit cannot be unlocked to be used on another vehicle.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:39 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

From what I understand, the Diablo Predator can be used multiple times on the same car, right?

Let's say I bought one along with a CAI. I install the CAI and them hit it with the Pred. Then, a few weeks later, I install 4.10 rear gears. Can I just pull out the Predator and reflash it to cover both the CAI and the gears? And then a month later, I install a new cat-back exhaust, and head down to the dyno shop. Could they use the same Predator to tweak the whole set-up? Then ultimately, I get the supercharger installed. Once again.. dyno and same Predator?

I just want to confirm that the tuner can evolve along with the engine mods. Am I correct?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

From what I gather, the Predator stores at least 3 (maybe 5) tunes besides the stock baseline. Mine is showing up on Thursday, I'll know for sure then.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:52 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: don_w

From what I understand, the Diablo Predator can be used multiple times on the same car, right?

Let's say I bought one along with a CAI. I install the CAI and them hit it with the Pred. Then, a few weeks later, I install 4.10 rear gears. Can I just pull out the Predator and reflash it to cover both the CAI and the gears? And then a month later, I install a new cat-back exhaust, and head down to the dyno shop. Could they use the same Predator to tweak the whole set-up? Then ultimately, I get the supercharger installed. Once again.. dyno and same Predator?

I just want to confirm that the tuner can evolve along with the engine mods. Am I correct?
Yes... Both on the Diablo and the SCT you can us multiple times on a single car.. just not two cars at once. Lets sayu you load a tune on your 05'. Your friend just bought one and does not want to buy tuner. You go to flash his.. but it will not work. You will need to flash yours back to the stock tune (Stored on the tuner) then unlock your tuner (SCT through software) and then flash his car.

You can flash and re-flash the specific car as much as you like, changing the parameters, adding to the tune or not.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:53 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: delurker

From what I gather, the Predator stores at least 3 (maybe 5) tunes besides the stock baseline. Mine is showing up on Thursday, I'll know for sure then.
Sorry missed that one. Yes the Diablo store 5 tunes and the stock tune as well. The SCT stores 3 tunes and the stock tune.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I'm not sure if "storing" tunes is what I'm trying to find out. Once I do a mod, I don't care about the previous tune (except the baseline stock tune). Is there some sort of limit on how many times it can be used?

Old 05-24-2005, 07:58 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Looks like nbk13nw slipped in an answer while I was typing... thanks!!