Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brenspeed Vortech V3 Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Just remember the definition of a "fast" car has changed. I can go buy a $35,000 Infiniti G37 and hit 60mph in 5 seconds flat. Once again, no matter what you do to a Mustang, 0-60 in 5 seconds is impressive. IMHO, buy the blower to put a smile on YOUR face, screw everyone else, lol.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
07gtdallas
1st Gear Member

It sounds like this kits is for me !!!!!!......and i am not entirely convinced you couldn't take a c6 but if i can beat a c5 and a gto then i am happy ...i can do that now but it is to close for comfort .....i have driven the new z06 it is amazing ....as far as the c6 i have a good friend that has one it is about a car length race ....now that is completely stock ....and i was more talking about the 400hp c6 not the new and improved ....i feel like the c6 is kinda disappointing stock (for the money)...but when just tuned can be a mean car .....i ride in his c6 every weekend its nice...and good looking ....but i think you would be suprized when you get gears in your car i think you well be able (if not now ) to show him your rear plate !!!!!!......not to many c6's will race so it's not a huge concern but is a goal of mine.....gto's are my arch nemisis (gt and gto were my two car choices, gto just didn't have the looks)...so those along with the evos, sti, trans ams , and cameros, chargers, challenger(ran one there not as fast as i thought but it was a new car so driver my not have been acclimated yet)...
Old 02-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Regarding the gears - seems a bit controversial. Some people say to go with the 4:10 even if you have over 400rwhp. Others say 3:73 once you get around there or above.

So really? A 400rwhp s197 can't keep up with a C6 vette? I've seen magazine reviews where a stock GT hit 60 in 5.1. All that extra power over stock and you can't even knock .6 seconds off 60?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:21 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

Very true, well put, MudFlap.

And again yes you are right, putting a smile on my face is number one...
...but on a frown on the other guy's is number two! HAHA
Old 02-20-2009, 05:30 PM
07gtdallas
1st Gear Member

that's what i am saying...I want to be tactful, because I like the c6 corvettes. Right now if they are stock ...i am right on there rear tire..... ...i dont think your giving yourself enough credit mud.....and as far as comparing it to a g37....been there done that they get a slight jump and then its pretty much over i just real them in .....i have accualy run 2 of them......(i live in a wealthy part of town and these cars are common with the highschool crowd)....there is a twin turbo g35 running around here ...i dont have enough ***** for him yet............now the g37s were both auto ( I don't know if they make manual) but my ex gf's best friend had one of the first g 37s around my area i drove it, it is a solid car. But not faster than the gt.... so i dunno .....i am also very use to the snap and pull of my 4:10......and the cobra......i don't want to come across as a know it all because that is cle4arly not the case....however i have had the pleasure of hooking it up with several different types of cars ......so these are just my experiences and my differ from the norm ..i don't know...
Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

I completely know what you mean; the "rice" contingent in my area is pretty big too. I love reminding them where HP got its start, although I did get absolutley ruined by a STi the other night. I think this kit would give me the edge to put me above and beyond, plus that extra confidence that comes with 400rwhp.

But most importantly, like MudFlap keeps reminding us: the kit made his car far more fun. Which is why I got the car to begin with, fun. I'm 28 in two months and figured this would be the last time I could buy a car just for me, with purely selfish reasoning. It sounds like the V3 kit can rekindle the excitement in even the most mundane of drives....
Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DLZ314
If the Mustang wasn't my daily driver, I'd have 4.10s in a heartbeat!

Does anyone have any data about S/Cs over a long drive? As in; how do they behave on a roadtrip? I like to drive from Vegas to S.F. about once a year (600miles-ish) and worry about heat soak and engine wear from the FI
Guys,
Don't fear the 4.10's and this kit. I have both on my daily driver. Mudflap and I have chatted on gears....And while I MIGHT have stayed with 3.73's had I known I was going FI, I cannot say for sure I would....My car is my daily driver, I had the kit dyno tuned as opposed to the Brenspeed tune, and I am making 418 / 387. It is a killer setup for a daily driver.
The question of the power band....The best way to describe it is very linear....It's like someone pulled the 4.6 out of the Mustang, and transplanted a 6.4 into it. It just builds very smoothly as you go. I will tell you, that I run 295 x 20's on the *** end, I have have had them spin at 5K in first gear....Yeah, it has power when you want it, but can be very civilized when you want it to be........

Do it.......

Mike

Last edited by mlcrycc; 02-20-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
So really? A 400rwhp s197 can't keep up with a C6 vette? I've seen magazine reviews where a stock GT hit 60 in 5.1. All that extra power over stock and you can't even knock .6 seconds off 60?
Don't know for sure, this is all bench racing. The C6 I drove was pretty damned fast. As I said, I think it would be a close race. He was asking about "smoking" a vette. My answer to that is no, I don't think I could smoke one. I might be able to beat one in a straight line, but to me smoking someone is leaving them embarrassingly behind. The C6 is just too fast to expect that IMHO. Smoking someone to me is having like 4+ car lengths by 100mph, not a nose, a hood or one or two... My car is pretty fast, but I don't think I'd leave a C6 THAT far behind. I used to have a 2000 Z28 with a 6-speed that had nothing but a whisper lid and a catback, and that SOB could throw the tail out going into 3rd gear. Chevy makes a good engine...

As far as the gears go, I'm not 100% decided, but so far I've been thinking 3.73s. I'll get them put in as soon as I can take another day off (I just took a week off last week). I'm a little worried the 4.10s will be more than I want. Wheel spin = lost power, and if I'm just going to be a smoke show all over the place, to me thats a bit of a waste. Its tough to say how it'll be. Regardless, either option will blow away my crap 3.31s.

Last edited by Mudflap; 02-20-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 PM
07gtdallas
1st Gear Member

i agree with your last post ....i forgot i said smoke
Old 02-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

hehe, well I was just trying to give you an accurate answer. I suspect you'd be pretty happy with the kit and those 4.10s. You could always add the aftercooler later on as well. I'm thinking about putting a spydershaft in at the same time as the gears, but they are pricey. I'd never really know how much it helped if I do it at the same time, but taking the car to the shop is a PITA so I need to minimize trips...

Quick Reply: Brenspeed Vortech V3 Kit