Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Default Cold Air Intake

Sorry, I'm sure this topic has come up numerous times before, but when I try to search for CAI, BBK, JLT, C&L, etc... the search says those terms are too short to search for.

Lol, anyways, I've been thinking about getting a CAI, and would like to get some opinions on what to get. Does anybody have any opinions on the different name brands? BBK, JLT, C&L, K&N, etc....

I've been looking at BBK and K&N due to their claims that re-tunes are not required. I know that tunes make a lot of difference, but I don't really have the money to get a CAI kit and a tuner right now, so I would like to get the CAI and then get a tuner later. Does anybody have any opinions on this? Should I get the tuner first instead of the CAI? Should I wait and get a JLT, C&L, or Steeda?

AmericanMuscle has the BBK kit on sale now, so that is really what got me thinking about this, lol.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:01 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

I would say wait and get both. I got the C&L street and tuner from BRENSPEED. love it.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:07 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Just be like me and wait. I know you want the intake, but it's pretty much useless without the tune. Plus, most of the intakes require a tune anyways. I'd say go JLT/SCT. Be patient, it will be worth it.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Countersniper
1st Gear Member

I'd get the STEEDA CAI w/ high flow elbow and Brenspeed tunes!!! Don't wait get it NOW......it makes all the difference.. do it, just do it!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

I have an Airaid CAI and couldn't be happier with it. It runs great without a tune, does not throw any codes or create a lean condition, sounds awesome, looks great and it fits as though it was made by Ford just for the Mustang. You can remove the MVI (Modular Venturi Tube) and get a racing tune if you prefer. All the tuners have custom tunes for them.

Airaid has fantastic customer service and you can talk directly to a tech if you want.

Here is how it looks in my Mustang GT:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...ey=YGXvz00pcLU

Last edited by cavediver; 11-01-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The CAI's that don't require a tune:
  1. Typically provide less airflow than those that do
  2. May still throw a Check Engine Light (CEL)
  3. When combined with a tune, don't perform as well as those CAI's that DO require a tune (see #1)
Majority opinion is to save your $$ and get the combo. Check the forum members sigs to see what they're running. All the CAI's that require a tune are equivalent in performance so let your wallet and eyes decide.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

my $0.02.

I have the C&L racer CAI. Performance wise, it's great. No complaints. After installing it me and other people who drove the car before and after noticed a large difference.

That being said the heat shield is pretty cheap.

I was originally going to get the Steeda CAI, and If my wife would let me buy another one and sell the C&L I'd do it. They make just about the same HP & Tq numbers but the Steeda one is nicer looking, at least to me.

Save your money, wait, and get a package with a tune. The C&L Racer & JTL with Xcal and tunes can be found for around $600. It will be worth the wait.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:19 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Looks to me like the only diff between C&L's two CAI's is the size of the tube from the engine to the filter. Heat shield looks the same in pictures.

Best "looking" CAI I've seen is the FRPP one for 2005-2007. Don't know why they have a different one for 2008+.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Get the combo....you won't regret it...

Oh yeah....and I am a pro-JLT girl all the way.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. But, so do you think even though the BBK intake is on sale at American Muscle, plus the discount forum members recieve, that I should still wait until I am ready to put down the money for intake and tuner?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake