Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

oil change on the whipple

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I recently had the intake and throttle body off of my car while doing the 10-rib swap and there was no visible oil on the throttle body blades or in the housing of the Whipple. Before I installed the separator, there was always a visible oil film in both of those locations. I get about a tablespoon of oil in the Moroso after every trip to the drag strip. I'm satisfied with its performance.

P.S. Thanks for the recognition. I do all of my own wrenching and try to pass on any information I find to be significant.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Stock Car Mafia

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I recently had the intake and throttle body off of my car while doing the 10-rib swap and there was no visible oil on the throttle body blades or in the housing of the Whipple. Before I installed the separator, there was always a visible oil film in both of those locations. I get about a tablespoon of oil in the Moroso after every trip to the drag strip. I'm satisfied with its performance.

P.S. Thanks for the recognition. I do all of my own wrenching and try to pass on any information I find to be significant.
You guys have been a great help. Reading through the forum for every install I have done has more than likely saved me hours of scratching my head. I too like the self gratification of doing the work myself. I can't imagine my anxiety levels if I let someone else work on the car without me peering over their shoulder.

I will be putting the JLT separator on because it is better than nothing. However if I don't feel it is doing the trick after a couple thousand miles I will be switching.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stock Car Mafia
I will be putting the JLT separator on because it is better than nothing. However if I don't feel it is doing the trick after a couple thousand miles I will be switching.
I can't speak for the JLT personally because I've never used it, but many members here are happy with it. Back when I installed my catch can, there were no "kits" on the market as the only people doing this mod were the racers pushing big boost. Back then, we were all piecing together our own kits using either the Stef's or Moroso cans and various AN fittings. I kind of miss the challenge of piecing things together, but it is nice to be able to click and pay for things like that. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I've been using the moroso catch can for years. It has a really thick sponge like filter inside, which traps 99% of the oil. The oily air actually comes into the can at the bottom and the vacuum is pulled from the top. Some of these catch cans are just straight through and don't do a good job of seperating.

I made up the 99%, but i'm sure it's close.