Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GT 500 TB???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:35 AM
allmotor03si
1st Gear Member

Default GT 500 TB???

hey guys im thinking about upgrading my throttle body here soon, has anyone put a gt 500 tb on a 05 and up gt? and is there anything id need to do besides bolt it on and have my tune redone? (like is the tps the same or does it need switched out and the drive by wire is that the same?) basically is it a direct bolt on?

thanks
adam
Old 11-10-2008, 06:42 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

For your setup you will see no gains at all. I would save the 400 and put it elsewhere. You need the "spacer" since the holes do not line up, but other than that you can hook it up with no other modifications. Your current tune should be fine, a new tune would be recommended but wont get you any more gains
Old 11-10-2008, 06:49 AM
allmotor03si
1st Gear Member

well i plan on doing kooks long tube headers and off road x pipe,steeda udp,frpp hot rod cams, ignition here soon. so my setup is going to be different in the next few months (winter project) lol. do u think id see any gains if i had this setup and then added the tb?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

With those mods it wouldnt hurt, the cams need airflow. I wouldnt put any numbers on the TB gains, but it will work with the other mods to squeak out a couple more HP here and there I am sure
Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 AM
allmotor03si
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

sweet thanks man. every little bit counts
Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

For an S197 it is pointless to put on a any throttle body while N/A on the stock motor. You "MIGHT" see "SLIGHT" gains, but there is no restriction what so ever on the stock throttle body. Now, if money is no option, then go right ahead and spend the 400 bucks on a new throttle body that will do nothing for you until you are up in the 500+ range, well, even further than that! Even with adding LT's and cams, you still won't see significant gains with the TB, nor will it do much.

I also noticed you were doing cams, and something with the ignition. Again, for the amount of money you are spending on cams, it is also pointless to throw some on there just to gain a little power and some lope, just my opinion though. Of course, if you are wanting the sound, go right for it! I also don't see why you are messing with the ignition, there is no reason to. Why do you want to swap out the coil packs, or what ever else your wanting to do to the ignition?
Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I agree. Little to no gain unless you're aspirated and/or HEAVILY modded where more air is NEEDED. Put that $$ towards an aluminum DS or some suspension upgrades.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by allmotor03si
well i plan on doing kooks long tube headers and off road x pipe,steeda udp,frpp hot rod cams, ignition here soon. so my setup is going to be different in the next few months (winter project) lol. do u think id see any gains if i had this setup and then added the tb?
I think you'll see 1-5 hp gain. Even with 12-13 psi from a turbo my builder didn't want to put a GT500 TB on because he hadn't seen gains with them.

My vote is to hold onto the money and save it toward one of the new intake manifolds C&L or FAST is coming out with. They are supposed to be around $800. The gains they are supposed to yield are yet to be seen, but I can't see these companies investing years of R&D for a product that only nets 10 hp.

I would take a "wait and see" approach and not touch the throttle body until after the intake comes out and someone has tested it.

Or use the $400 for nitrous which is my vote.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:00 PM
allmotor03si
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

thanks for the input guys, honestly im new to the mustangs and big fuel injected v8's, been into street rods for years and hondas a bit so if i come across asd unimformed im sorry lol. im just trying to figure out what to do next for my car im an allmotor junkie and ive put tb's on all my previous hondas and my buddys srt-4 with great results figured it might carry over to the stang. so i guess ill start with some underdrive pulleys, and 4.10's and go from there. thanks guys
adam
Old 11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

I would only do it with a roots or TS supercharger. Like every one said it is a wast of money unless you are HEAVILY moddified. The reason it is on the GT500 in the first place is because the GT500 is a 5.4 and it is supercharged. Its supercharger, and others like it, need as little of a restriction as possible before the supercharger. The reason Simon1's builder didn't think it would help is because he is pushing the air in, not trying to suck the air in.

Quick Reply: GT 500 TB???