Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Didn't expect for it to happen so soon.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Ok now that you've said it twice. Why dont you think I should power shift when I get my new trans?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I would Powershift the new trans! Great times and I know you should be in the 10's soon! So did you upgrade the internals and input shaft? Or is the input shaft the problem on these manual trannies and the only thing that should be replaced/upgraded? Granted you were stock and at that power level it was bound to happen IMO and glad it is getting worked on...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

As for now the internals are going to stay stock. From what I'm gathering the input shaft is the weakest link in the stock transmissions but I guess we'll have to wait and see how long it takes for me to break something else. But theres one thing for sure, I'm not going to be scared of breaking something, I'm gonna drive it like I did before. Ya, it sucks when you drive your car to the track and then have to stare at it on the back of a truck as you follow it home in a friends Honda Accord, but it happens.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

Hmm, I don't know why it posted twice. Ive always heard that power shifting will put excessive wear on a transmission if done too many times. Maybe its fine if your new transmission is bullet proof. But you did happen to be power-shifting when your transmission decided to explode, despite the fact that it was stock.

Last edited by TheLowsters; 11-24-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I think if you're going to power shift, do it right and get a trans that's strong enough to handle it. Or just get a 4r70w and call it a day. If you still want to shift manually, no prob. Get a B&M ratchet shifter to go along with it.

Not meaning this in a bad way, but going back with the same trans and power shifting again deserves a Darwin Award.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

same trans, better input shaft
Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

I highly recommend getting the hardened 26 spline input shaft from Liberty gears, many guys are running around on 600+rwhp/tq without any problems at all.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

btw last i checked, they charged 455 shipped for the hardened 26 spline shaft, also if you can get ahold of a 10 spline you can send that to them and they cut and weld a 26 spline to it for 300 dollars shipped instead.

http://www.libertysgears.com/

give them a call and just ask them about it.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:20 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
I think if you're going to power shift, do it right and get a trans that's strong enough to handle it. Or just get a 4r70w and call it a day. If you still want to shift manually, no prob. Get a B&M ratchet shifter to go along with it.

Not meaning this in a bad way, but going back with the same trans and power shifting again deserves a Darwin Award.
Plenty of guys with the stock tranny and 100s of passes without issue and Brian's stated he doesnt want an auto
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Thats what I'm doing with Justin. We are taking a new stock input shaft and getting it fabricated into a 26 spline.

And I will never go auto, never!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Didn't expect for it to happen so soon.