Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bassani X-pipe-high flow cats-no bungs?, WTF

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 03:51 PM
SMP
1st Gear Member

Default Bassani X-pipe-high flow cats-no bungs?, WTF

I bought the bassani X-Pipe with thier high flow CATS and there is no Bung holes for the o2 sensors. Anyone know the work around for this? Is there one? Why the hell did Bassani make High flow CATS for this car and no BUNGS. The race pipes that came with it have bung holes, but i can't install those because i live in CA.
Help Please
THanks
Old 05-30-2005, 04:25 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bassani X-pipe-high flow cats-no bungs?, WTF

Is the X-pipe (with or without cats) legal in CA?

I'm quite interested in this O2 thing myself - having read your note, I checked the JBA H-pipe I ordered with my long-tube headers and noted the lack of O2 bungs on the H-pipe..
Old 05-30-2005, 07:27 PM
SMP
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: delurker

Is the X-pipe (with or without cats) legal in CA?

I'm quite interested in this O2 thing myself - having read your note, I checked the JBA H-pipe I ordered with my long-tube headers and noted the lack of O2 bungs on the H-pipe..
I will contact Bassani and rpmoutlet to let them know i have no bungs in the CATS. There are bungs in the race pipes, but not the CATS. They may of screwed up my order. I doubt they would make these CATS without Bungs. If they did then i will get bungs put in the CATS.
Find out on Tuesday

NOTE: they sent the X-pipe with the race pipes, but the CATS back ordered then they came 2 weeks later. That may of been were they screwed up. I also found a picture of the CATS having bungs in them....
Old 05-31-2005, 03:18 AM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

I have asked the same question regarding if an X pipe is smog legal in California. The shop I'm going to use told me they don't do any work that isn't smog legal and they are going to install JBA headers, keep the stock cats (they said Ford did a good job installing high flow cats on the stock car), an X pipe and flowmaster super 40 axle back mufflers. The shop was referred to me by two or three different people and they were also the the least expensive (it would have mattered if they weren't but it's a nice touch that they are) for the job they will do. The JBA headers are on back order and should be in stock in a couple of weeks. Hopefully this information will help you delurker.

Steve
Old 05-31-2005, 01:26 PM
SMP
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gianf

I have asked the same question regarding if an X pipe is smog legal in California. The shop I'm going to use told me they don't do any work that isn't smog legal and they are going to install JBA headers, keep the stock cats (they said Ford did a good job installing high flow cats on the stock car), an X pipe and flowmaster super 40 axle back mufflers. The shop was referred to me by two or three different people and they were also the the least expensive (it would have mattered if they weren't but it's a nice touch that they are) for the job they will do. The JBA headers are on back order and should be in stock in a couple of weeks. Hopefully this information will help you delurker.

Steve
Yeah... I heard that same line from the guy at JBA. I doubt it would pass the vison part of the smog and i know if you touch the factory cats and they can tell then it will not pass. I am not worried about that. I can put the stock on in 6 years... the only way i can use the Bassani X-pipe is to remove the factory cats and put on the Bassani. To open it up more i might get headers later. Then to top it off with a SC, after i have seen peoples stories.
Thanks-stephen

Which leaves me with my intial problem. No bungs in the CATS-WTF

I am calling Bassani to ask them.

another good local shop that cares about thier customers is DPR
Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Same here as far as putting smog legal stuff back on in 6 years - I'm going to have the Predator turn off the rear O2 sensors, might get a bung welded into the H-pipe for my wideband O2. I'll go back to stock headers, intake, and H-pipe when it comes time to smog.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:28 PM
SMP
1st Gear Member

Just to rape this up. Turns out they sent me the wrong CATS. Hope to get the right ones this week or next, with bungs
Old 05-31-2005, 11:40 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: SMP

Just to rape this up.

hehe... that made me chuckle

ORIGINAL: SMP

Turns out they sent me the wrong CATS. Hope to get the right ones this week or next, with bungs
That's good... I kinda thought that might be it https://mustangforums.com/m.asp?m=547363&mpage=1&key=
Old 06-01-2005, 08:15 AM
MackinMike

So whats the deal if i get some X-pipes and cat backs in my 05 stang i will get some damn check engine light on all the time now??? i just wanna be 100% sure i get it right because i live in sweden and we get taxed like a mother of here!!!! everything costs double :-(
so if you got some advice i need to know about how it works ???
Old 06-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Qship

Replacing the cats in Calif (the whole country really) is illegal, and if the shop that smogs it out here knows what they are doing they will fail the car as modify. The Federal law is that cats are warrented for 8 years or 80k miles by the manufactures, so to the Calif enforcement you have no reason to replace the cats with anything other than OEM cats. If a car in Ca is failed for modified you open a whole can of worms and it can get really ugly, for one you can be fined heavily and fined for everyday the violation from the time it is discovered, plus you CAN'T put the original cats back on to bring car back to compliance you must buy new cat head pipe assembly from Ford.

Beside getting in trouble with the State of Calif. the replacement of the cats with different cats won't net enough power gain to make it worth the cost. Spend the money on gears instead with the headers, axleback, and a programer of some kind, you end up with a car that will easily pass visual here in the Peoples Republic of California Communists.

Quick Reply: Bassani X-pipe-high flow cats-no bungs?, WTF