Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

BOOMTUBES are a boomin'!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:57 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Default BOOMTUBES are a boomin'!

Today I installed my boomtubes!

And I have to say wow. These things rock. I should have bought these a long time ago. They sound so much better in person than on video, and they sound sweet in video.

They're very deep and aggressive and just plain mean sounding. I liked my Corsas a lot but at times I wished they were just a little deeper and louder.

AmericanMuscle4.6GT's video review was dead on about these. There's not really any drone as you'd get from Bassani, Borla, etc where with those, it's a very loud and constant low freq tone going MMMMMMMMMM. That is annoying as crap but a throaty engine growl is great. That is what the boomtubes have. It might be considered drone by some but it's not like the drone of said muffs. It's quite different.

I did a test at 2K RPM going 60mph (for me it's 60 with Auto and 3.31 gears) and while it's not dead silent like the Corsa (or stock) but it's not a typical drone either. It's instead a kinda loud (but not too much) deep rumble. This is the spot where my old Bassani Race would drone my head off. Man those things were intense on drone...the annoying variation.

If you want a deep, aggressive and loud muffler but do not want crappy drone but instead a ruble sound that's pure muscle car then get boomtubes. I'm going to keep my Corsas for a little while still. I'm not sure if I'll sell them or not but I want to keep them for just in case. I still think they're one of the best muffs for S197s. A hell of a lot better than stock that's for sure.

One thing I will note that I did not care for is the clamps that come with the boomtubes. They were made out of very thin metal and they just looked and felt weak and crappy. Instead I used the much more heavy duty and thicker metal clamps that came with my Corsas (which are the same as stock). I feel these can hold on stronger and I feel better about them. So to anyone going to boomtubes from stock, just use your stock clamps or buy new ones. I don't have any confidence in the clamps that came with the boomtubes. They might be fine, but I was leary of them.

I don't have a video yet. I was going to wash/wax my car first but I didn't get a chance so I'll get a video real soon. I'll try to make an external and internal video.

I really think that those who got the Corsas to get away from drone will be happy with boomtubes. They are not as quiet for sure, but they don't emit the annoying drone other muffs do. Boomtbues are just pure deep rumbling V8 sound. My real test of how they drive will be tomorrow when I got to work as it'll be a longer drive with all kinds of driving conditions.

It's still possible that if you have a passneger (wife, gf, etc) that does not like a noisy car, they want it dead silent inside, they may not like these. So if you have someone sensitive like that, keep in mind that boomtubes will not give a complete silent ride like the Corsa/Stock will. You may want to stick with Corsa if you fall into that category.

One thing that was interesting was that on the inside, once I get to 4K RPM and higher, the sound was pretty much exactly the same as the Corsas at that RPM range. I guess this goes to show that the Corsas wake up in a good way at WOT.

Boomtubes should be the official muffler of the Mustang as it's pure muscle car sound. I can't wait to hear what they'll sound like with Kooks LT and H and then later with the FRPP Hot Rods. Should be sick.

Just for grins, I may put the Corsas back on for a little while after headers and after cams just to see what they sound like in that config and make videos. But I'm sure I'll be keeping the boomtubes on for the long run.

They're also not as loud as you'd expect by how they look. They look like they'd be loud as hell but not really. Another interesting thing is the muffs I have on my Harley Street Rod bike (VRSCR) are almost exactly the same as boomtubes. They have the same perforations that stick out inside but only maybe half the number the boomtubes have. But my bike is loud as hell. That thing freaking wakes the dead. Of course there's no cats and the exhaust is very short. I fired it up yesterday to keep the battery charged and revved it to 6K (red line is 8.5K) and thought I was going to go deaf inside the little building I have it stored in. LOL. It's great.

As AmericanMuscle4.6GT said in his video...GET SOME BOOMTUBES!
Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The Boomtubes were the 2nd mod I installed after the side louvers. I think it's safe to say I got this one right the first time. I won't be in the market for another axle back.

Kooks + catted H are my plan as well. Once the car is paid for.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

excellent review SirKNightTG, i really want
these. how was the install, how was getting
them aligned?

i look forward to hearing more after tomorrows
testing
Old 12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Install is cake. 20 minutes with a set of ratcheting wrenches. You don't even have to get the car on ramps.

My passenger side was down about 1/2" over the driver's side and pointed off to the right a little bit. It wasn't bad but it was noticeable. I ended up taking mine to a muffler shop and they aligned them for me for $30. I could've bent the hangers or borrowed jacks and tried fiddling with the midpipe but I didn't feel like playing around with it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Looking forward to those videos!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

I couldnt agree more. i had borlas on before switched to boomtubes and love them!!!! i have longtubes with offroad x into boomtubes. trust me if you r after a really loud mean sounding exhaust this is the way to go.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

I'm anxious to see your video also. I have ordered Corsa Xtreme AB's to replace my Corsa Sport AB's but I'm now wondering if I should've gone Boomtubes. I've had similar experiences with different exhaust set ups but like you I want a more aggressive exhaust without the mind numbing drone. I hope the Xtremes are that exhaust but Boomtubes might be too for less $$.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:14 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

ok thanks Riptide, i have roush rear springs
now, so the days of sliding under the rear
end are long gone

i won't mind jacking it up, if that's what i have to
do

Originally Posted by Riptide
Install is cake. 20 minutes with a set of ratcheting
wrenches. You don't even have to get the car on ramps.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
SONICBOOST3
2nd Gear Member

I didn't read all of it but glad you like them
Old 12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The alignment is fine as far as left and right and how far they stick out. The right one does hang down a little lower, but it's not the boomtube's fault. All of my other muffs, including the stock, did that. I'll try to fix that up when the headers get installed but it's ok for now. The only thing I worried about was a muff touching the bumper but they don't. My Bassani Races did that on one side and melted it a little.

It was pretty easy putting them on. I jacked the car up on one side and that gave me enough room. One thing that helped was my Corsas are not as big as the stock so I could reach the hanger bolts easily. It's a PITA to get to those when the stock muffs are on. Since the boomtubes are even smaller than the Corsa, it was even easier to put the hanger bolts back on.

I also only had to take off the front hangers (closest to axle). The back ones (closest to the rear of the car) stayed on. I took off the clamp to the over-axle pipe, took off the front hanger and slid the mufflers out/in.

It didn't take long at all. Ratcheting wrenches would have made taking the bottom hanger bolts off easier when the Corsas were on but it wasn't bad with regular wrenches. The other bolts came on/off with a socket.

If I can remember, I'll take my camera to work with me tomorrow and get some videos from the inside while driving.

Quick Reply: BOOMTUBES are a boomin'!