Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

under estimated my whipple decision

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
allmotor03si
1st Gear Member

wish i had those problems lol!!
Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Of course it will. Any hard launching on sticky tires is going to put more strain on parts, than say driving like a grandma.

I do like the M&H tires, they look badass on the car. Just don't expect to be able to do 60 or even 50 mph in the rain or shortly after a Florida thunderstorm. Keep it at 45 and you'd probably be fine.

I need to decide on a new lca, so I can shoot for a 1.4 60 foot time. I bet that feels like pure joy! I tried to launch on the street with my pirellis, with stock lca's and the wheel hop was horrible.
I am very sad to report but feel I must tell you that the guy paul (psfracer) I was talking about in other posts got t-boned into his driver door by a semi-truck recently. Thank god he is alive. He broke a couple ribs and his pelvis. His roll bar is what saved his life...

The point is that the weather was not good and the car got away from him. He was on the M&H's...

I think it is important to note. I stand behind ANY DR is not wise in bad weather IMO. If you look at what can happen to save a couple bucks, it is probably less expensive to just by an extra set of rims and tires for racing...

There is a big thread on another forum with lot's of pics and let me tell you - if you read that thread, you may be very tempted to put a roll bar in your car. He would have been dead without it, I'm sure.

Proof that roll bars come in handy at more than just the track.

CORRECTION - I just found out from Paul that he DID NOT have the M&H's on the car at the time. He actually had his saleen wheels and tires on the car. He actually thinks he could have avoided it with the M&H's cause he says they have better traction than the saleen wheels... WOW

Last edited by modaddict; 02-09-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:18 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

so I should keep M&H's as a possible traction solution? I really want increased street traction.

I am thinking either the M&H's 275/50/17's or Nitto Invo's 255/50/17.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
Is it safe to run these super sticky radials at the track with stock rear? I know the 8.8 is a badass but I'd think after tracking a while and lauching the stock posi or something would start to go, no?

Also I spin like crazy right now. Would getting a sticky tire that prevents me from spinning put a lot of excess strain on the rear? thanks!
Originally Posted by moosestang
Of course it will. Any hard launching on sticky tires is going to put more strain on parts, than say driving like a grandma.

I do like the M&H tires, they look badass on the car. Just don't expect to be able to do 60 or even 50 mph in the rain or shortly after a Florida thunderstorm. Keep it at 45 and you'd probably be fine.

I need to decide on a new lca, so I can shoot for a 1.4 60 foot time. I bet that feels like pure joy! I tried to launch on the street with my pirellis, with stock lca's and the wheel hop was horrible.
Okay so I know it is more wear/tear launching with stickies on the track. My question is how well does the 8.8 hold up to this. With the occasional few track days a year do I have to worry about the rear failing or needing a new posi?

Also, on the street 1st spins and second spins REALLY hard on the 1-2 shift. I know preventing the car from spinning will put more strain on the rear but how much extra strain is put on from not spinning the tires on upshifts? I know it's a lot of questions bear with me Thanks!

Also Moose I'd suggest the steeda LCAs. I love them and you're right launching wheel hop free is incredible!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Your 8.8 is going to hold up fine.

If anything, it is going to be your diff that takes a dump...
Old 02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Cool Thanks Modaddict!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM
RedStang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
odd.... I guess they are still KDW2...... I had my dad buy some for his mach1 recently and i coulda sworn the name changed

these tires rock.

musicCityGT ran these on his and pulled deep below 2.0 for his short times pretty regularly.
Seriously?

I also have those tires on my car and the traction isn't good at all imo. I've been planning on a DR for a while now as soon as my KDWs are worn out.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Mow Rubba unda da reeeer end