Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me pick my Saleen Supercharger! Any Brenspeed customers here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

Talking Help me pick my Saleen Supercharger! Any Brenspeed customers here?

Sup Guys,

I think my time has come, a time probably every stang owner dreams about... forced induction baby!!!
I'll be ordering my Saleen supercharger from brenspeed sooon. I had the S/C's cut down to either Saleen or Whipple, but since i'm already a brenspeed customer i figured i'd just go with them.

http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...rs-saleen.html

They have a lot of packages, mainly 2 from Saleen, the 435 pack and 475 pack.
And then you have 4 packages from Brenspeed, 470hp, 485+hp, 500+hp and 540+hp.
The price difference between the first three is like $100-$300, and suddenly the 540 pack is $700 more expensive then the 500pack.

Which one do you think has the best value? I think the only dif between the 500 and 540 pack is the FRPP GT500 Fuel system.

Why is there such a big price dif. between the kenne-bell boost-a-pump and FRPP system?

Also, since i'm bored at work right now;
Will my AT tranny be able to hold that much power? (Cuz after this investment the stang mods fund will have run dry)
What times can i expect to be putting down? (on the most sucky track ever..)
I currently have 245/35ZR20's all around, will i need to go wider?
Which other supporting mods should follow? (i was thinking a Brembo braking kit, cuz the stock brakes suck IMO)
Should i use the stock Saleen gauges or just get a pillar gauges?

By the way, my other mods are in my sig, and i still have 3.73's waiting to be installed.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Super Shaker!!!

With Brenspeed's tune you should be ok on the trans as long as you don't beat on it very hard constantly. But better to ask Brenspeed about that.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
kolb02
2nd Gear Member

If you are at sea level I would do Brenspeeds stage 3 and supershaker, tranny will be fine, and get an A pillar pod with boost and wideband. if you are up high in elevation go stage 4.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mellowdien
Sup Guys,

I think my time has come, a time probably every stang owner dreams about... forced induction baby!!!
I'll be ordering my Saleen supercharger from brenspeed sooon. I had the S/C's cut down to either Saleen or Whipple, but since i'm already a brenspeed customer i figured i'd just go with them.

http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...rs-saleen.html

They have a lot of packages, mainly 2 from Saleen, the 435 pack and 475 pack.
And then you have 4 packages from Brenspeed, 470hp, 485+hp, 500+hp and 540+hp.
The price difference between the first three is like $100-$300, and suddenly the 540 pack is $700 more expensive then the 500pack.

Which one do you think has the best value? I think the only dif between the 500 and 540 pack is the FRPP GT500 Fuel system.

Why is there such a big price dif. between the kenne-bell boost-a-pump and FRPP system?

Also, since i'm bored at work right now;
Will my AT tranny be able to hold that much power? (Cuz after this investment the stang mods fund will have run dry)
What times can i expect to be putting down? (on the most sucky track ever..)
I currently have 245/35ZR20's all around, will i need to go wider?
Which other supporting mods should follow? (i was thinking a Brembo braking kit, cuz the stock brakes suck IMO)
Should i use the stock Saleen gauges or just get a pillar gauges?

By the way, my other mods are in my sig, and i still have 3.73's waiting to be installed.
SUPERSHAKER!

I've got plans for a SuperShaker to get put in my car in June. My car is totally stock, so I'm trying to get the 475 kit mated with the Shaker in order to retain my factory warranty. Since you might not be under warranty anymore, I'd recommend going with a Staged kit...Stage II or Stage III.

The price difference between the Stage I, II, III kits is due to a supercharger pulley change. The Stage IV kit has some other upgraded peripherals, namely a high-horsepower intake and new fuel system, in addition to the pulley. If you had a SuperShaker, you wouldn't have to worry about intake because the Shaker IS your intake (coolest design out there).

The SuperShaker whines a lot more than the regular Saleen supercharger setup!

Tranny should hold up as long as you don't go hard on the car constantly.
A Saleen blower could put you in the 12's or 11's depending on the pulley size, wheels/tires, etc.
Wheels and tires are not *vital,* but you might be wanting better traction with that increase in power.
Brakes aren't a bad idea, but brake kits are pretty expensive. Typically, really high horsepower cars will tend to actually need them...500+ rear wheel horsepower vehicles

The Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump only increases the fuel pressure created by the stock pump whereas the FRPP GT500 fuel system actually replaces the stock fuel pump.

Last edited by East87; 02-06-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Help me pick my supermodel.

Any wealthy GQ models in here?

....aight, just jealous - that's all...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 PM
graygt07
2nd Gear Member

if you want to keep your warranty intact WAIT. i thought i wanted to keep mine so i went with the 435 kit from saleen. my car never ran faster then a 13.0 at the track. not worth the money....i desided to upgrade and say the hell with the warranty and went with the stage 3 from bren. with the upgrade of the fuel pump. i wish i would have just started there. i spent more money then i needed. with the stage 3 and no other upgrades i ran a few 11.9's at the track on stock tires. i could run 12.0 all day. with an auto it ran very consistant. i run mine car hard and often at the track without any problems. the 435 kit was lame do not waste your money. get a stage kit and run the hell out of it. i now have the supershaker with the stage 4 and was only able to run at the track once on jan. 1st but in the midwest it was cold that day and no prep on the track. i spun like chazy but was able one time to cross the line at 121mph. so a stage 4 could get you an 11.7. just take your time and get it right the first time. if you are going to the track much get a line lock. i worpped a rotor before i got mine. upgrade the brake pads atleast. good luck
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
Jersey Stang
2nd Gear Member

Stage 3 is the way to go. you can add the supershaker for effects and some added horsepower, but stage 3 is really the safest for our auto tranny. you're right about the price increase form stage 3 and 4. the GT500 fuel pumps will add an extra $700. and you're getting saleen's extreme air kit. its also recommended to have a forged bottom end if you want to have over 450rwhp.
If you don't have LCA's, i'd probably put that on your next mod list to help you put the power to the ground. Although the 20" wheels will slow you down a little, you should see 11.7-11.9 at the track depending on your experience.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Mellowdien
3rd Gear Member

I wanted to get wider tires but my rims are only 8.5".
So instead i think i'm just gonna stick with these for another year or so, and maybe get some GT500 take-off wheels afterwards.

Hmm so can someone explain to me what a "built bottom" is exactly?
I don't want a fully built beast, just a fast car with a little sense of security that it wont break.

We dont have highways overhere (Suriname, south america), literally none. I drive my car atleast every 3 days, because it rains alot. I've had her since march 2007, and i know have 8900miles on her. I do go through the gears alot, because i sometimes get frustrated that i cant drive her like she should be driven (maximum speed limit is 60km/h, most places 40km/h), so whenever i find an opening i just mash the gas for a few seconds.

I was planning on getting a ram air hood after the supercharger, so the super shaker isnt the best idea for me.

also, i see 07+ need a extra "coolant kit" for the s/c, anyone know why exactly?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Hmm so can someone explain to me what a "built bottom" is exactly?
This generally refers to an engine which has replaced the stock sintered iron (crap) rods with forged pieces (much stronger) and forged aluminum pistons in place of the cast stockers. Most failures in 4.6L engines happen because the stock rods 'let go'. Certainly the tune can make or break you regardless but there is a limit to the cylinder pressure/RPM that the stock components can tolerate even with the best of tunes.

Forged assemblies often include a forged crankshaft as well plus some of the supporting pieces (new bearings, rings, etc.). Taken together these are often referred to as the 'reciprocating assembly' and/or the 'bottom end'.

I don't want a fully built beast, just a fast car with a little sense of security that it wont break.
If you go with the Stage 3 you wont need to do anything to the bottom end. I haven't heard of anyone that's managed to blow their motor using that setup/tune.

It will be fast . I still remember driving mine for the first time back from Indiana and passing strings of cars on the back roads. Wow.

I was planning on getting a ram air hood after the supercharger, so the super shaker isnt the best idea for me.

also, i see 07+ need a extra "coolant kit" for the s/c, anyone know why exactly?
The Super Shaker is cool if you are going for that look but the performance difference is very doubtful. Been thinking about it for my car but customizing the scoop itself. In the end, when I upgrade things I may go with the TechCo intake or the new Abaco MAF instead <shrug>.

Can you be more specific on the extra coolant kit thing? Are you talking about the intercooler? That comes standard with the Stage 3 kit.

Last edited by 2007GT/CS; 02-08-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Those ram air hoods don't do anything. It's just for looks like the CDC shaker is. The Saleen SuperShaker WILL work as ram air.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my Saleen Supercharger! Any Brenspeed customers here?