Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Buying a supercharger for my GT....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:41 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default Buying a supercharger for my GT....

Hey all,

I am gonna buy a supercharger for my 05 GT in the next week and I wanted opinions.....you have to understand that I am NOT technical and only got into cars to this extreme in the past year or so...

I understand from my own research that its Vortech, Paxton and Protech which are the main 3. I am goin to use this not as a race car but an everyday driver which will go fast as hell when I want it to, with this in mind which one would you guys go for?? The most important factor for me is reliability and longevity and following this I guess the price of product........HP is a secondary 'need' as I am sure you will tell me they all have a huge amount of HP!!!

I live in England and so I am very nervous about reliability as if something goes wrong it is far more expensive to fix.

What is the life of these things....same as engine or 30,000 miles, etc???

Last question - seems like some of them come with aftercoolers and some not - about a £1k difference in price - is an aftercooler essential to keep the heat down?

don - would be interested to think what you think so far as I know you are looking into getting one?

Nick
Old 06-10-2005, 10:45 AM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a supercharger for my GT....

The Saleen super charger produces quite a bit of power at a low boost rate (4 to 5 lbs.) Unless I'm mistaken, it is designed to give you what you are seeking and do it everyday, without doing damage to the machine it's boosting. It's the one I will do when I get to that point.

Steve
Old 06-10-2005, 11:19 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

not to be a dick but try the search feature...this topic has been beaten repeatedly
Old 06-10-2005, 12:55 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang9325

not to be a dick but try the search feature...this topic has been beaten repeatedly

Dont worry about being a dick - its not your fault......I spent one hour this morning reading everything said on the topic using the search area, still wanted people's opinions now as they were not that current.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:25 PM
gt6974a
1st Gear Member

Saleen looks like the best bet as far as not tearing up your engine.

Don't have my GT yet but wasn't even thinking about putting S/C on until I saw what the Saleen does at lower boost. Still probably won't put one on until Warranty is close to being up and by then hopefully I can get a Shelby w/o getting ripped off, then S/C that thing.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Twin screw all the way.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Blown00GT

when you get the blower your not gonna feel a big difference until you step on it. unless its a screw blower like the kenny bell or the eaton. it will have more of a pep to it but its gonna feel the same as if it werent there, until u get on it. i seen a 05 gt with a procharger with 9 lbs of boost do 440 to the wheel. youll have to get a dyno tune and make sure your A/F ratio is correct. youll be movin pretty fast, just dont get stupid with it. Procharger is rated the best right now because its producing the best numbers as well as being very dependable and self contained. it doesnt feed off your oil lines like vortech or the others, its definetly a good buy. dont try to install it your self have a certified place do it. youll love it and never take it off. it will wear on your engine, but any modifications that adds horsepower beyond the factory limit is causing damage to your engine in one way or another. you can safely run a blower(up to 10lbs) on your car. but it all depends on how you drive it. if its a daily driver car, commom sense would tell you not to rag on it all the time cuz it might be your only car and its brand new as well. let it break in and dont get right on it cuz ur engine wont know its there right away. tell me what your plans are?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
fin1
1st Gear Member

There is no one "best". You have to look at pros/cons based on what you like/want. I am partial to the Procharger only because the performance shop I'm using (installing mine next week) was comfortable with ATI with past stangs and it received good reviews, but I think they are all very good products.

Keep in mind that all supercharger manufactures are in business to give you the most hp within safe "known" limits. It would do them no good to release a 15 psi blower for a stock 05 GT that would cause their customers to blow their engines. Also, how you drive and what you do with your car directly attributes to longevity regardless of forced induction or not.

My recommendation: the best blower is crap w/o a GOOD tune. The key is tune, tune, tune! So focus on how you can get a good tune for whatever blower you go with.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:12 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

EXACTLY the point of my post here
https://mustangforums.com/m_563876/tm.htm
Old 06-10-2005, 05:28 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Unless I am reading your opening statement wrong, your goals are similar to mine... streetable, dependable, daily driver, that just happens to have over 400hp. So, like several above me here, I'm squarely in the twin screw camp. I don't need the highest peak HP numbers, or the higher boost of the centrifugals. And I am drawn to the low end torque numbers of the twin screws. If I was ordering one today, I would get the Saleen personally. Nothing against the Whipple or KB units, but I like the design of the Saleen, and it might even allow me to use the C&L CAI with it (it least it looks like it would fit). I would also add headers at the same time, and have it all installed and tuned by a high quality, reputable race shop with a dyno.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15351/AEB281B077CA42609AB33960DBC95626.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15351/64191E563FC34D2BB889D0ED0FEF857A.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Buying a supercharger for my GT....