Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Low RPM dive on 05 GT with C&L and SCT

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

Default Low RPM dive on 05 GT with C&L and SCT

I have a 05 GT 5 speeed
I purchased the C@L intake with SCT Tuner

I just got the car back from some warranty work, I had the FEAD pulley replaced based on a earlier TSB that someone posted here on a whistling noise in the cold

anyway, I retuned the car once getting it back from Ford to my 93 Tune as Ive always had and now i have a very low RPM.

WHen i start the car and it's cold it'll be 1000+ becase it's cold but once it heats up It'll idle at 700RPM which is normal.

however when I drive as i'm breaking to a stop light or in general with the clutch down or in neutral the RPM will dive to 500, sometimes even 400 and it feels like it'll stall, it'll then climb back up to 700 and is fine

any idea as to what it is?
I've tried the 91 and 93 tunes and the RPM dives on both.
I haven't tried the 87 tune or return to stock
Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Well the first thing you want to try is putting back on the stock airkit and put the stock tune back on.

If that doesnt work, then you need to clean the MAF and Throttlebody really good.

If none of that fixes it then more then likely the throttle position sensor is starting to go bad on the throttlebody which bost about 70 dollars from ford.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Um no! First thing you need to do is find out if the Techs at Ford flashed your PCM, if they did then the strategy may have changed in the "tune" section of the programming in which case you need to contact SCT and find out how to remedy this. If they didn't flash the PCM then you need to check for air leaks in the air intake and MAF sensor make sure everything is hooked up properly, actually checking for leaks is the first thing you need to do. If none of the above is the case then most likely they disconnected the battery and you need to go through the 40 key cycles for the PCM to relearn its procedures. You MAF and intake didn't get that dirty from one trip to the dealer. and DO NOT mess around with your TPS sensor......EVER!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007VistaBlueGT
Um no! First thing you need to do is find out if the Techs at Ford flashed your PCM, if they did then the strategy may have changed in the "tune" section of the programming in which case you need to contact SCT and find out how to remedy this. If they didn't flash the PCM then you need to check for air leaks in the air intake and MAF sensor make sure everything is hooked up properly, actually checking for leaks is the first thing you need to do. If none of the above is the case then most likely they disconnected the battery and you need to go through the 40 key cycles for the PCM to relearn its procedures. You MAF and intake didn't get that dirty from one trip to the dealer. and DO NOT mess around with your TPS sensor......EVER!!!
I believe they did flash the pc because I asked them to somehow put through that pipe connecting the c&l intake back to the left cylinder bank there so on the workorder they said "check engine light" and got that pipe replaced under my ford extra care warranty

Having said that I reflashed back to the 93 tune twice. Are you saying the tunes have now been rendered useless and I have to get brenspeed to send remapped tunes

Also. What's the 40 key cycles?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

I should have read all of his post, i didnt notice it said after he got it back from warranty work. I had a problem with my rpms dropping low and my car almost stalling and it ended up being a bad TPS, but if it just started happening after warranty work i wouldnt think that would be it.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

what does that mean "flashed the PCM"? Is that something like a firmware update and now the data of the SCT is incompatible with the car computer?
Old 02-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

Ok

I don't think the Tech flashed it to the point that it rendered my SCT tuner inoperative.
I was reading Brendpeed's FAQ and if they had flashed a new strategy it would have rendered my SCT useless.

the fact is that my SCT can and still does program all the tunes from stock to 87 / 91 and 93.

So I rechecked all the connections, as per suggested. everything was tight. Regardless I loosened evertying and retightened all the clamps etc etc.

I went to Canadian Tire here and grabbed throttle body cleaner and had a friend sit in the car with the car on but not running and had him "floor" the accelerator to open the butterflies

I unloaded 1/2 can into the throttle body engine off and let the black crap drip out. I then started the car and had my buddy keep er at 3000RPM while i sprayed into the butterfiles in a random fashion.

put it all toghether and finished off the can by putting the straw into the port there where that PVC Tube connects.

sealed everything back up and went for a good through hard drive on the highways and bighways

this has remedied the low RPM. It doesnt' dip under 700 now

I'm wondering if this is a temp fix though.
Time will tell
Old 02-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

its pretty common with these cars to start running like crap when the throttlebody and maf get too dirty. As long as you clean them once in awhile you shouldnt have a problem.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Treatz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hufenstang
its pretty common with these cars to start running like crap when the throttlebody and maf get too dirty. As long as you clean them once in awhile you shouldnt have a problem.
Ya.
It just seems odd that I had no issues until after I got the car back from warranty.

I had done a tb clean late last summer anyway

What's a good time frame for tb cleans. 6 months. 3 months?
Old 02-16-2009, 02:21 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

The ECM relearning the idle strategy after you reinstalled the tune may also have had a hand in causing the problem.

Quick Reply: Low RPM dive on 05 GT with C&L and SCT