Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Question about tuning my computer..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 AM
aashesinthefalll

Default Question about tuning my computer..

Hey I'm new on these forums. SO here's my story.. I'm going to college part-time, and at the same time I still have monthly payments for my car. I would love to do a bunch of crazy things to my car but it aint gonna happen because of my money situation. So I'm looking to just start off simple. I want to tune my stock engine with a hypertech or JET tuner (the OBDII plug in computer things) BUT I also want to add two A/T Mufflers (for a touch of sound) and a K&N air intake system. What good will the Hypertech/JET tuners do for me? Will I mess something up with the computer specs by changing my air intake system? How do those tuners work? ... do I have to let it know that I changed the intake? These websites don't explain anything in full detail...
Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Get an SCT or a Predator and a tune, ditch all the others that can't be custom tuned.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I do not know much about the Hypertech or JET tuners but most on here are using the SCT or Diabolo tuners. They are the most popular from the major tuners such as Brenspeed. I would look at SCT. The best bang for the buck will be a CAI/Tune from shops like Brenspeed and Bama so check out their websites. Look at their tuner packages. It is the best starting mod that you can do for performance.

In working with the intake, you need to be careful in that most will require a tune to adjust for the increase in airflow. I do not think the K&N requires it but you will want to check. However, by not changing the tune you will not notice much difference with just an intake. Whoever you get the tuner from you will want to let them know what you've done the car. The axle back mufflers will not require a tune regardless.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM
aashesinthefalll

You guys are amazing. Thanks so much. I looked at the SCT X3..... For $479, They e-mail me asking me what I have done to my car. Then they setup they're own advanced settings in the machine and send it to me to program those settings on to my car. Is this what they're trying to say? The supercharger/NOS/Turbo thing got me confused. this is the direct page.. http://www.brenspeed.com/3000sc.html

Last edited by aashesinthefalll; 02-15-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Definately do the CAI & Tune combo from Brenpseed, Bamachips or VMP. They'll write your tunes. Unless you know what you're doing let the pros do it. Great change in performance with any of the combos from these vendors.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:56 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

VMP, Bama, and Brenspeed are the most popular tuners. I'd choose one of them, I myself went with VMP and its a great tune. I'd also steer away from the k&n cold air and go with some of the more popular ones like C&L or JLT.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

There is software that you can use to do your own tunes with a SCT, but you really need to know WTF you are doing. Going with a reputable aftermarket tuner is the best way to go.

There is a lot of OBDII data you can access with a proper interface (including via an SCT). But changing things in the numerous control components (ECU, tranny module, etc). is not something to play with, IMO.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:44 PM
aashesinthefalll

Nice, yeah I think im going to stick with the company doing my tuning. Okay... so I did all my homework.... I'm going with brenspeed's combo...... K&N Cold Air Intake w/ the SCT tuner for $599.99. That also saves me $50 from buying both of them sepreately. awesome.... plus I'll throw on the A/T axle-back mufflers by flowmaster to give me a nice sound to my exhaust. nice, this should satisfy during my college years... thanks guys so much!!!

OR maybe the C&L intake????????/ lol

Last edited by aashesinthefalll; 02-16-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

Get a C&L race, JLT or Steeda.

K&N does retain the same MAF area for you not to require a tune but it also does a lame job in the improvement area compared to the others.

Do it right the first time.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on anything but the K&N. Don't get me wrong; the K&N is a decent CAI but for the money get one of the others mentioned above.

Also, for the axlebacks, I've heard a few people complain about the Flowmasters rusting thru much faster than most of the other axelbacks that come in stainless stell. The Flowmasters, IMO, don't sound as decent as some of the others on our engines as compared to prior models.

Quick Reply: Question about tuning my computer..