Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Paxton or Vortech for dummies like myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Default Paxton or Vortech for dummies like myself

Ok please dont flame I searched and couldnt find exactly what I was looking for. I have 2 months left before getting F.I. and I am torn between the Paxton and the Vortech. Which is better? Also can someone explain the differences. I see the vortech has the intercooler in the engine compartment near the top grill, and the paxton maybe near the lower grill is this correct? I have the CDC Aggressive and I think the paxton would also look better through the big opening of the aggressive chin if it has the intercooler down yonder. Thanks for your replies everyone sorry for the newb thread. Also if you were mentally challenged like myself and not a car brainiac how long would an install take maybe have 1 more person helping me and alcohol will probably be involved Maybe a weekend or 2 weekend project? Just trying to save myself 1400 bucks for installation if at all possible....
Old 02-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Toy4Bob
3rd Gear Member

Before finally getting myself to pony up the extra for my SuperShaker, I was looking at these two so I could still incorporate my shaker hood. I started leaning toward the Paxton for whatever reason, and spent some time talking to Brenspeed about choices. Since I ended up with the Saleen and living on that high, all I can remember about comparing the two is that the Paxton was much more complicated/or work to install... I think because of the cooling system.

Not sure I would let that sway you one way or the other though.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

If the paxton is better than the vortech I'll take it to brenspeed.... only a 8 hour trip lol.... Thanks Bob
Old 02-24-2009, 09:37 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

The head units themselves are very similar. Remember that Paxton and Vortech are the same company now... one bought the other.

The main difference is going to lie in the aftercooler. Vortech liked the air/water cooler, and Paxton likes the air/air. Note that Vortech just came out with an air/air cooler, but again, that makes sense since they're basically the same hardware now.

So, if you really want to know which one to pick, decide which type of aftercooler you want. I chose the air/air kit because I didn't want to worry about refilling water, ice, methanol, or any other kind of consumable. There are plenty of centrifugally blown guys that will advocate air/water coolers, and some that like meth injection. That choice is yours, though.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

For an HO kit, I would pick the Paxton over the Vortech due to the air/air intercooler and the reasons stated above. The Brenspeed $4995 Paxton kit is one of the best HO kits on the market IMHO. Dollar to HP, you can't beat it.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
If the paxton is better than the vortech I'll take it to brenspeed.... only a 8 hour trip lol.... Thanks Bob
Dooooo it!

When would you be going?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
For an HO kit, I would pick the Paxton over the Vortech due to the air/air intercooler and the reasons stated above.
Someone mentioned in the post above yours that Vortech has just come out with an air/air IC.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Someone mentioned in the post above yours that Vortech has just come out with an air/air IC.
Yeah I don't know anything about it though. Assuming its similar to the Paxton IC, those kits would be essentially identical. Vortech also has a twin screw coming out...
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Yup one of the first to break into TS when Centri's were the only thing they did. Not sure any other FI company does that yet.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

I'll be getting it done in May sometime. I have to wait for a 4 day weekend from the Army and make a trip maybe take a couple days off. I called brenspeed and they said I have to give them an exact date so they can fit me in. I wish they were coming out with the twin screw sooner but I'm impatient for the drag strip this summer... oh well.. thanks everyone for your input...

Quick Reply: Paxton or Vortech for dummies like myself