Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Magnaflow Tru X w/cats on today

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:21 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Magnaflow Tru X w/cats on today

Anyone who is going to put any x pipe on (under a jacked up car especially), make sure you measure the ends that bolt up to the manifold before starting. I didn't of course and it took me 35 minutes of loosening this and adjusting that to realise that the thing had been bent ever so slightly in transit. However, "ever so slightly" might as well be 6 inches when your trying to bend stainless steel into place underneath your car. It would have been easier if I waited to use the lift at the Hobby Shop on base but thier not open on Sunday. After I worked that out everything went smooth. The sound is so much raspier than stock and somewhat louder. People can definitely tell its not the stock exhaust. I would highly recommend inslalling any name brand x pipe to anyone. Unfortunately I won't be able to dyno before and after but someone on another thread said they got 10 hp and 15 ft/lbs from this same x pipe.

Any suggestions about the best shorties to bolt on behind this thing?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Magnaflow Tru X w/cats on today

Tell us how it drives and feels cool daddy as soon as you can. congrats
Old 06-13-2005, 11:30 AM
KandyMan
2nd Gear Member

yeah lets us know whats up....this is the xpipe im looking to get
Old 06-13-2005, 01:10 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I have no idea on "the best" shorties. Personally, I think I am going to go with the FRPP ceramic coated ones.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:35 PM
KandyMan
2nd Gear Member

i was thinking bout going with the jba headers...but who knows

Old 06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, I "bounced on the devil" in first with the TCS on and the tires broke loose, hit second and the thing got all crossed up until I hit third and the Pirrelli's were still screaming at me.[sm=gears.gif] The car used to spin in second before but not like that and third was just a healthy chirp, so there seems to be some difference though this is far from a scientific experiment. I love the sound of this thing, it's almost like stock at idle but when you jump on it the exhaust has a very stong note. It is a tad louder inside the car also though. If any of you are interested, I suggest rpm outlet, they have the best price I found and they give you a 10% discount when you enter the coupon #1212 and I ended up getting the thing shipped to the house for $386.00 which is more than $150.00 less than the SS Bassani w/ cats. You can get the discount on any SS exhaust you want though (Bassani,Magnaflow,MAC).

As far as the install goes, it's about the same difficulty as a CAI except your working in a small space on your back. One more thing, make sure you check the position of your tail pipes before final tightening, I noticed mine were a little off last night and I just got done readjusting where the catback and x pipe connect. At minimum you'll need a 15mm deep socket, a 6" extension, a hinge type extension, and a 17mm open end for the O2 sensors.

KandyMan, I too would like the JBA's but they're a little pricey, FRPP or MAC are probably just as good for me. Hawgman, I thought you were a member of the "wanting a SC" club, aren't you going with LT's?

PS: Sorry for the long post, hope it helps [sm=type.gif][sm=sorry.gif]
Old 06-13-2005, 04:41 PM
budgy
1st Gear Member

Sounds awesome, I would imagine the other X-pipe options without the cats would be much too loud for a street car.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:56 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

I don't know about too loud for a street car, they would be noticeable but not enough to get you pulled over. Compared to the axle back systems they are still quieter because of the factory mufflers. Now if your talking about JBA LT's,X pipe, and SLP loudmouths, yeah thats probably pushing the noise ordinance a little.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:29 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

You by chance plugged your Predator in to see if it is throwing any O2 sensor codes out with the new cats?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:33 PM
budgy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

I don't know about too loud for a street car, they would be noticeable but not enough to get you pulled over. Compared to the axle back systems they are still quieter because of the factory mufflers. Now if your talking about JBA LT's,X pipe, and SLP loudmouths, yeah thats probably pushing the noise ordinance a little.

Yeah thats kind of what I meant, like if you say already did an axleback exhuast, those mufflers are louder than stock already, removing the cat's altogether will pretty much take away any sound deadening there is. I personally plan to do headers into x pipe w/high flow cats and an axleback.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Tru X w/cats on today