Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Comp Thumprs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

doctorj- congrats and yes that is the best customer service I have heard from a tuning/aftermarket shop and they are really an A+ in my book......looks like I may have to get some work done with them and I have never said that as I think my tuner Lidio is GOD!.......anyway gald its almost 100% and let us know how the rest of the tune feels! Jason
Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
ASHY2CLASSY

Man...Good info Cant wait to cam this spring, just paid off my gt at 20k miles just need a trusted tuner in NC, GT owners in my area spend all of their dough on body kits and and heavy rims, I am part of a fraction of s197 with real power adders, I love pulling up to the GT with the 3000$ body kit and rims with my Full SLP. Soon with FRPP CAMS!!!! AHHHHHH HAHAHA THE MADNESS OH my head hurts.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 AM
cookedrice

Originally Posted by doctorj77
Problem Solved:

Well my woes are over. Brenspeed arrived last night at my house last night, bear in mind its a 200mi drive one way, raining like hell and they towed a car carrier trailer. Turned out it was a tuning issue.

Basically they got to thinking, they really never tuned one with the Airaid without the sleeve, so the MAF was 101mm, and the fact I don't have charge motion deletes.

So they brought a Xcal3 with them with a set of tunes to try with the sleeve in. Basically on the first try it was night and day difference. That 2500-3200rpm hesitation is almost non-existent now. More like 2600-2700, if that even. Its that brief. The low end hesitation/backfire is greatly reduced. Well the hesitation is normal "5th gear at 30mph" but the backfiring is nearly non-existent.

What they've done is change the way the stock charge motion valves open under part throttle, mimicking like delete plates are installed. Essentially the car was getting choked until WOT, and then the valves would open all the way.

So all in all, took about 1hr of test driving and tuning to tweak it right. The only thing left is when the car comes to a stop and I push in the clutch, the rpms dip way below idle, close to 500rpms, and the tach does a little bounce and comes back to its idle rpm. They said they have a fix for that, but it can't be done via the tuner. They have manually edit the file.

So they left me the Xcal3 and they're emailing me the new tune today to load on my Xcal2. So I'll be switching the tuners back this afternoon, and trying the revised tune when I get home. They also are sending a pre-paid envelope/package to send their Xcal3 back to them.

Now that's customer service man. I was completely amazed by it. Its truly another testament to Brenspeed's name and quality of work. Now I can enjoy my car, the only downside now is I have to leave out of town for 2wks starting tomorrow morning....... oh well.
Glad you got your issues sorted out. This thread was particularly interesting since I just purchased comp stage 1 thumprs (127010) and I purchased a brenspeed 93oct tune. When i asked about the tune, they asked me about my mods and i told them that i wanted to use my factory charge motion plates. The highly recommended that i get the delete plates and if i did they would give me a tune for them and the cams for free. Lets see what happens when my cams get installed....hopefully this week. The 2000rpm cold start idle has me worried though.....i dont think the neighbors will like that too much.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 AM
provofam
1st Gear Member

Cookedrice,
Please post your thoughts after you install your Thumpers. I'm still debating cams FRPP, Comp Thumpers, or Comp NSR. I look for other members thoughts and am still hoping to hear the Thumpers in person instead of on youtube. Good luck on the install and I can't wait to hear your results.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

get the cmdp
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

I installed the CMDP's last weekend. 1st off, I'm a complete moron. I read Taco Bill's write, which is awesome, but towards the end, when it calls to put the intake bolts back in, I could have swore the it said use 89ft lbs. I looked the tiny little bolt and though, "is he sure?"

So get the torque wrench, and start cranking away. SNAP! I almost picked back up smoking over this.

Apparently it was 89in lbs, or close to 8-9ft lbs. Ooops! So after pulling that, I could lift the broken bolt straight out. Lifted the intake off, and the bolt remains was still protruding out of the block.....phew! So good ol vice grips and manually turned out and removed the broken bolt.

So initial thoughts on the CMDP's? They're worth it. They did 3 noticable things for me.

1. I get more static engine noise from inside the car. Kinda like when we all added our 1st CAI and noticed how much the engine growled. Its kind of like that.
2. The car is much more driveable. Meaning, before with stock plates, I would have to give the car much more gas to get it moving. Now, with the deletes in, I can slowly let out the clutch and the car moves without stalling.
3. I can tell there is a difference under WOT past 3300rpm. Might not be as obvious with regular NA vehicle, but in combination with cams, its definitely noticeable.

Plus I took the sleeve out of my Airaid so now its using the 101mm MAF. I'm anxious to see what the dyno says. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm thinking this will all be worth 15rwhp at least.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the MPG sucks now. I haven't ran a full tank yet on the highway, but its definitely dropped.

Last edited by doctorj77; 04-21-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
cookedrice

I installed the CMDP's last weekend. 1st off, I'm a complete moron. I read Taco Bill's write, which is awesome, but towards the end, when it calls to put the intake bolts back in, I could have swore the it said use 89ft lbs. I looked the tiny little bolt and though, "is he sure?"

So get the torque wrench, and start cranking away. SNAP! I almost picked back up smoking over this.

Apparently it was 89in lbs, or close to 8-9ft lbs. Ooops! So after pulling that, I could lift the broken bolt straight out. Lifted the intake off, and the bolt remains was still protruding out of the block.....phew! So good ol vice grips and manually turned out and removed the broken bolt.

So initial thoughts on the CMDP's? They're worth it. They did 3 noticable things for me.

1. I get more static engine noise from inside the car. Kinda like when we all added our 1st CAI and noticed how much the engine growled. Its kind of like that.
2. The car is much more driveable. Meaning, before with stock plates, I would have to give the car much more gas to get it moving. Now, with the deletes in, I can slowly let out the clutch and the car moves without stalling.
3. I can tell there is a difference under WOT past 3300rpm. Might not be as obvious with regular NA vehicle, but in combination with cams, its definitely noticeable.

Plus I took the sleeve out of my Airaid so now its using the 101mm MAF. I'm anxious to see what the dyno says. I'm not getting my hopes up, but I'm thinking this will all be worth 15rwhp at least.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to mention, the MPG sucks now. I haven't ran a full tank yet on the highway, but its definitely dropped.
Make sure you call brenspeed and get a retune for those delete plates and the maf.....in sure there will a difference in programming between delete plates and factory plates and now the larger maf housing.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM
cookedrice

Originally Posted by provofam
Cookedrice,
Please post your thoughts after you install your Thumpers. I'm still debating cams FRPP, Comp Thumpers, or Comp NSR. I look for other members thoughts and am still hoping to hear the Thumpers in person instead of on youtube. Good luck on the install and I can't wait to hear your results.
You are probably close to brenspeed......you should pop on over when they do a thumpr cam install. Im sure they install cams on a daily basis. I'll start a new thread with my impressions and a crappy youtube vid to accompany it. I got lucky that a local bullitt owner had the ***** thumprs install and it sounds awesome......when he fires it up it draws alot of attention. With the right exhaust setup, it makes our small block sound like a big block.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:37 AM
doctorj77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cookedrice
Make sure you call brenspeed and get a retune for those delete plates and the maf.....in sure there will a difference in programming between delete plates and factory plates and now the larger maf housing.
I should have clarified, I already got the tune from Brenspeed prior to install. That's why its running so smoothly. And yes it was very noticable after install/tune.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

your honesty is refreshing doctorj77!

it's just a fact of life with cams like these,
that mileage is gonna take a hit, it's
just reality. i would say people should expect
to see - 2 or -3mpg on average and if that is
a deal breaker, then so be it.

Quick Reply: Comp Thumprs Installed