Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shorty Headers vs. Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:45 PM
07 GT/CS
1st Gear Member

You can get MAC LT from brenspeed for around 465-480ish compared to shorties for around 350-450ish depending on the company. Now something to think about, our engines rev fast so you don't spend aehole lot of time in the low RPM band anyhow. I spent about the last 3 month deciding between LT or Shorties and then I norrowed it down to MAC and KOOKS LT's. I went with MAC both brands sound good IMO and they are very close IN HP gain MAC is about -1HP compared to KOOKS
Old 03-27-2009, 04:22 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

BBK shorties seem to lose hp compared to stock at high rpms, probably because of the very sharp bend in one of the exhaust tubes on the header. If going with shorties, the JBA is a much better design. Everyone on here is going to tell you to get long tubes besides the people who have actually seen the gains from shorties. Even on JBA's website, if you compare the shorty headers to their long tube headers, the shorties gain ~2hp and 2ftlbs less than the long tubes. the long tubes have high flow cats installed. you can get an offroad h pipe for $140 bucks and make 10 more hp on top of what the shorties give you and then you actually made more hp than long tubes for cheaper. That's just my plan, but everyone else is going to tell you shorties suck, which they cant back up and to get long tubes.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:38 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If I was going to get shorties, I'd have chosen JBA without a doubt. But I chose Kooks LT with high flow catted H. Still haven't installed them yet.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
BBK shorties seem to lose hp compared to stock at high rpms, probably because of the very sharp bend in one of the exhaust tubes on the header. If going with shorties, the JBA is a much better design. Everyone on here is going to tell you to get long tubes besides the people who have actually seen the gains from shorties. Even on JBA's website, if you compare the shorty headers to their long tube headers, the shorties gain ~2hp and 2ftlbs less than the long tubes. the long tubes have high flow cats installed. you can get an offroad h pipe for $140 bucks and make 10 more hp on top of what the shorties give you and then you actually made more hp than long tubes for cheaper. That's just my plan, but everyone else is going to tell you shorties suck, which they cant back up and to get long tubes.
Eww, I have some ceramic BBK's on the way. I will report back on dyno results.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Please do, and also post the dyno graph. I'm not saying that the BBKs were a bad choice, but all of the gains with those headers seem to be down low which is why shorties seem to have such a bad rep on the forums. Try to post up the whole graph so we can see how much torque you gained down low and any installation difficulties. I will be installing my headers the week before easter hopefully.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
Please do, and also post the dyno graph. I'm not saying that the BBKs were a bad choice, but all of the gains with those headers seem to be down low which is why shorties seem to have such a bad rep on the forums. Try to post up the whole graph so we can see how much torque you gained down low and any installation difficulties. I will be installing my headers the week before easter hopefully.
Got my BBK's in the mail today. I probably won't be able to install them until April 19th with a dyno tune on the 21st. Will update with before/after dyno sheet.

Last edited by scoots; 04-01-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

OK which is the best header........j/k.....not another shorty vs. LT thread
Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

I have BBK long tubes and the fitment is nice. The only thing I have to say about them is they rub against the steering linkage if you are lowered. THAT IS ALL. I have great sound but cant judge performance against any other brand because I havent used them. Check your smog regs to determine what you get. I live in So Cal and the smog laws here smole pole...literally. If you have sh*t like this in your state go for the safe choice, JBA shorties which are CARB coded. If they pass CARB they are good to go anywhere.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...est/index.html

interesting article. testing not done on a s197, but the results were shorties get more power from a stock or lightly modded mustang. more modded mustangs benefit from LT's better. they summarize if you are over 350 hp then LT's are better.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:19 AM
robbie01gt

long tube will give you better gains but are those little gains worth the extra hundreds of dollars??????

Quick Reply: Shorty Headers vs. Long Tube Headers