Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

rear axle whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 11:32 PM
cliff

Default rear axle whine

I have an 05 GT 5 speed. Ford has ordered a new rear axle gear assembly and will install as soon as it arrives. It has a ringing/whine that goes up in pitch as speed increases. Its not very loud but you can hear easily if the rear seats are folded down. Has anyone had a similiar problem? I now have 2700 miles and no other mechanical problems.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

Default RE: rear axle whine

I don't have a 5 speed manual, I have an auto, but I am wondering if this is the noise I am hearing. I was thinking it may be a trans issue, but I'm still not sure as I've been so busy I had to reschedule my dealer appointment to check it out. It usually comes in around 35mph and stays until around 60mph for me. It seems to respond to acceleration/deceleration and the pitch does go up and down. Let me know how things go with that gear assembly you have replaced, and if this seems like a similar problem, then I will be in better shape when I take it to the dealer to get the prob fixed.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Cliff...

Just tell everyone you have a Muncy Quick Change Rear End.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:03 PM
wondercoolguy
1st Gear Member

I have the same problem only it's when I turn so I think I'm smelling a recall coming soon to a theater near you

[IMG]local://upfiles/11672/38F050667164469B96AE15B06F2989C4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Legend Lime
1st Gear Member

Yes I have the same whine in my 05 auto and it seams to be getting louder every time I drive it, and thats every day. I have also had the radio replaced, and now the new radio is doing the same thing and it's the(SN)(GB), the first one was a (GA). I also have front strut bushing popping, rear end bushings popping, and yesterday when I went to start off from a red light (normal take off) the engine stalled as though you cut the fuel off. The thing that really burns my a-- is I paid cash for this thing. Oh one more thing has anyone found the front of the front seat covers loose as in not attached to the seat frame both of mine are just hanging there. I love the car but man this is get old!!

Later
Old 06-23-2005, 03:17 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

I must be one of the lucky ones... other than a CD skip every week or two, I have had none - not one - of the other issues raised by others here. After 8 weeks and 3800 miles, all is well (knock on wood).
Old 06-24-2005, 08:11 PM
cliff

Just as an update-I am still waiting for the parts. The dealor has ordered the complete assembly including axles. I have a feeling that the problem may be a recall issue later. Thanks to everyone for their response.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:37 AM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliff

I have an 05 GT 5 speed. Ford has ordered a new rear axle gear assembly and will install as soon as it arrives. It has a ringing/whine that goes up in pitch as speed increases. Its not very loud but you can hear easily if the rear seats are folded down. Has anyone had a similiar problem? I now have 2700 miles and no other mechanical problems.
[/quote]

I have a GT vert manual that was built on june 8; i have a loud whine in the rear end between 63 and about 71; it only occurs when using the accelerator and stops if you are coasting; it is very annoying and loud when the top is up; i know this is not normal and am getting ready to make an appointment to have it looked at; i know it is gong to be a BS situation to get fixed but the more of us that have this problem the better chance of getting it fixed; i would like to see more specifics from the rest of you if this is an issue; my car currently has 1500 miles on it;

[IMG]local://upfiles/16309/C70790AC863E4DCEBB9C5A0ED672DD77.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
biged3
2nd Gear Member

I brought my car in on Wednesday for the same thing. The dealership said they would have to replace the ring and spindle. The parts should be here today, and I will have my car back this afternoon... hopefully.
There is a TSB out for this problem but it says cars built prior to 15 November 2004. Mine was built in May, but they said I am experiencing the same problems so they will follow the TSB.
FYI the TSB # is 05-7-3.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Dragonscales

ORIGINAL: vicmeldrew
I have a GT vert manual that was built on june 8; i have a loud whine in the rear end between 63 and about 71; it only occurs when using the accelerator and stops if you are coasting; it is very annoying and loud when the top is up; i know this is not normal and am getting ready to make an appointment to have it looked at; i know it is gong to be a BS situation to get fixed but the more of us that have this problem the better chance of getting it fixed; i would like to see more specifics from the rest of you if this is an issue; my car currently has 1500 miles on it
I have an automatic and I get the SAME problem. It's usually between 60-80mph for me and only does it when I accelerate, not when coasting. I think I am going to make another appointment to have this looked at.

Quick Reply: rear axle whine