Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car feels sluggish few days after tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

Default Car feels sluggish few days after tune

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that after installing a performance tune on your s197 gt and driving it for a few days that it starts to feel sluggish after awhile, when i first upload my tune the car feels fast and peppy but after driving a few hundred miles the car feels as if it looses some of its pep. any ideas?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:25 PM
RetroGT2006
2nd Gear Member

I notice this too, it is very frustrating.. If you don't run it hard all the time the cars pcm uses that adaptive learning and i guess adjusts the tune? I tried it out, drove it slow for a good amount of time/miles.. and then from a dig, my tires were barely able to spin(06 GT automatic).. I went home, got my tuner, re-tuned it.. Tried the same little test, and my car spun all through first, and caught grip in middle of 2nd.. That tells me right there it learns to adjust to your driving..?

I just reload my tune after a few weeks or if i notice it to get sluggish.. You can feel a huge difference, at first i thought i was making crap up in my head and it wasn't really sluggish but after the re-flash it brought it to my attention i wasn't making it up.. lol..

You are not the only one to experience this, many on my other forum have made threads of this..
Old 04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

I have a Brenspeed tune with a Granatelli CAI. RPMs below 2000 seem pretty weak. Weaker than stock in my opinion. Between 2000 & 3000 seems about like stock. But, after 3000 the tune is strong. I'm wondering what setting in the options we could set the tune to be stronger at low rpms. I experience this in all 3 of my tunes...87,91 or 93. I've only had the tune for about a week or so. When the engine is cold the tunes seem to run a little less smooth than stock. After it warms up things smooth out. I've still got to spend more time with each tune though. With any of the tunes when I stomp it from 1st to 2nd the tires spin a lot more than stock. With stock I only got a small chirp. They almost fishtail now with these tunes. So, overall it's been a little weak at low rpms but kick butt at higher rpms.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by RetroGT2006
I notice this too, it is very frustrating.. If you don't run it hard all the time the cars pcm uses that adaptive learning and i guess adjusts the tune? I tried it out, drove it slow for a good amount of time/miles.. and then from a dig, my tires were barely able to spin(06 GT automatic).. I went home, got my tuner, re-tuned it.. Tried the same little test, and my car spun all through first, and caught grip in middle of 2nd.. That tells me right there it learns to adjust to your driving..?

I just reload my tune after a few weeks or if i notice it to get sluggish.. You can feel a huge difference, at first i thought i was making crap up in my head and it wasn't really sluggish but after the re-flash it brought it to my attention i wasn't making it up.. lol..

You are not the only one to experience this, many on my other forum have made threads of this..
that is correct but thought with aftermarket tunes that this would not be a problem as it is blocked or turned off or something...not sure as I dont tune cars but mine feels the same from my dyno tune
Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Well I'm certainly not the authority on this, but I believe there was decent thread on this site explaining the difference between the stock tune and the custom tunes as far as adaptive learning is concerned. I believe the general idea is that the stock tune can adapt in both closed loop (idle, part throttle) and as well as open loop (WOT). The custom tunes usually have the adaptive learning disabled in open loop, so at least when you go WOT the computer won't mess with you. However, closed loop will still be affected by adaptive learning over time, which is what I believe you guys are experiencing.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
RetroGT2006
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
that is correct but thought with aftermarket tunes that this would not be a problem as it is blocked or turned off or something...not sure as I dont tune cars but mine feels the same from my dyno tune
I never noticed this stock, but noticed this with my custom tunes.. I am going to email my tuner and ask about this issue.

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
Well I'm certainly not the authority on this, but I believe there was decent thread on this site explaining the difference between the stock tune and the custom tunes as far as adaptive learning is concerned. I believe the general idea is that the stock tune can adapt in both closed loop (idle, part throttle) and as well as open loop (WOT). The custom tunes usually have the adaptive learning disabled in open loop, so at least when you go WOT the computer won't mess with you. However, closed loop will still be affected by adaptive learning over time, which is what I believe you guys are experiencing.
I will have to look this up for sure. I too have heard/ thought the adaptive learning was turned off in a custom tune.. but it just seems that is not the case in mine.. Each time i reload it- its like i just gained a boatload of performance..

Does this have to do with the fact that the car is flashed and its not a new performance pcm with a dyno tune?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:04 AM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
I have a Brenspeed tune with a Granatelli CAI. RPMs below 2000 seem pretty weak. Weaker than stock in my opinion. Between 2000 & 3000 seems about like stock. But, after 3000 the tune is strong. I'm wondering what setting in the options we could set the tune to be stronger at low rpms. I experience this in all 3 of my tunes...87,91 or 93. I've only had the tune for about a week or so. When the engine is cold the tunes seem to run a little less smooth than stock. After it warms up things smooth out. I've still got to spend more time with each tune though. With any of the tunes when I stomp it from 1st to 2nd the tires spin a lot more than stock. With stock I only got a small chirp. They almost fishtail now with these tunes. So, overall it's been a little weak at low rpms but kick butt at higher rpms.
I have the same problem at low RPM with Brenspeed tune. Power is great after 3k but until then the car is anemic. I'm going to try a VMP tune hoping that will cure the weak low-end. I had good experiences with Justin's tunes before. Some 4.10 gears would solve the low-end problem too, but I'm considering going to twinscrew in the future and need to save some cash until then.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
+1

My thoughts exactly. Lift one of the battery leads for about 20-30 minutes to reset the adaptive learning. You do not need to reload the tune after that. Simply reloading just the tune does not reset all of the parameters that are causing the return to a less aggressive engine response.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster

I felt the same way when I had a Brenspeed tune. Above 3K is was awesome, but below that it was more sluggish than stock. What really sucked is when I had to take off from a stop on an incline. With the Brenspeed tune, it felt like the car didn't want to go.

This is not the case with my Bama tunes, especially the race tune. Starting off from an incline with the Bama tune is a complete 180. The car wants to launch me over the incline. LOL

I know that these engines really start waking up after 3K which is why Brenspeed concentrates there. But I'd rather have most effort put from 1K to 4K. That would be better for the street.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Nuke
+1

My thoughts exactly. Lift one of the battery leads for about 20-30 minutes to reset the adaptive learning. You do not need to reload the tune after that. Simply reloading just the tune does not reset all of the parameters that are causing the return to a less aggressive engine response.
+2
+2
+2

Quick Reply: Car feels sluggish few days after tune