Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010 Mustang GT mods that won't void Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM
rsfisher1991

Default got ?

if i get gears in my 2010 mustang will it void warranty?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rsfisher1991
if i get gears in my 2010 mustang will it void warranty?
SMACK

Did you NOT read Legion5's post? Obviously not.

Children allow the dealer to intimidate them. What a bunch of pantie waists...
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Tebos4

Originally Posted by Legion5
it's against federal law to "void" the warranty due to any modification. The law was passed in 1975 which was after the greatest boom and bust of car modification in America, surpassing even todays trend. At this time warranties were voided and this was a real result to almost every enthusiast. This could be in some ways be responsible for this common misconception in many people nowadays. Now thanks to lobbying by the SEMA organization regulating car warranties in a carry on of a bill regarding consumer product warranties called the Mangusen Moss act OEM manufacturers can no longer void car warranties due to aftermarket parts. SEMA is a group that represents most companies that manufacture modifications. Obviously if a modifications breaks something mechanical you have to fix what broke just like if you damage your car's body in a crash it's not warrantied even though your car body has a warranty.

Law also requires that manufacturers have a warranty arbitration process which has consumer advocacy in mind. Ford actually has the simplest to use system compared to any other American sold manufacturer where they've established a 1800 number to call something in to Ford Corporate directly. ask your dealer about where to arbitrate your warranty claims.

Furthermore it's international Ford policy in every country not to void your warranty due to cat back exhaust systems or appearance parts though they can void your warranty in those places for other things.

The only brands that exempt themselves from this federal regulation in their warranty disclaimers are BMW with every model and Nissan on the GT-R model. Ford actually specifically restates information which follows the Federal law on it's stance on modifications in a section of the information it prints about the Mustang warranty.

Also there have been over 5,000 threads on this forum backing this subject up not to mention the post above this one, this is a misconception that's so common that there are 3 threads a day made about it.

Some aftermarket manufacturers also warranty their own parts against failures of the car such as Roush mentioned above, which actually is a great supercharger that I'd recommend to anyone.
You, my friend, are my new best friend. Your post pointed me in all the right directions to get the info I needed. I will be at the dealership first thing in the morning armed with a TON of sh*t to smack down on that j*cka** service manager's desk. Then I will say to him...'Now fix it, B*tch. And don't you dare look at my ***** again.'
Old 03-01-2011, 11:25 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

Something interesting to read.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:52 AM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95

Ditto.

Recite this to the guy at the service counter and he won't say another word about it.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Tebos4

Very nice! Thank you!

BTW, I even found a TSB on the same exact issue......
Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tebos4
You, my friend, are my new best friend. Your post pointed me in all the right directions to get the info I needed. I will be at the dealership first thing in the morning armed with a TON of sh*t to smack down on that j*cka** service manager's desk. Then I will say to him...'Now fix it, B*tch. And don't you dare look at my ***** again.'
Nice!!!!!!!............Lets us know how it turns out.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by madmann26
Ditto.

Recite this to the guy at the service counter and he won't say another word about it.
It's for those that don't know where they stand as far as warranty laws....how an individual handles it with their dealer if need be is up to their discretion.

As far as breaking your car due to mods/abuse....you know if you have been naughty or nice and your not gonna fool anyone but yourself....why argue with the dealer? Break out the wrenches and get to work or $$ pay!!!
Old 03-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Can we get a Sticky made: thread title: Important Warranty Information

first post:

Nothing ever voids your warranty. If your modification causes a warranty claim you have to pay for it, if it didn't then they have to honor your warranty.

That's all you should need to know, maybe if you keep it short like that people will read it.

second post:

Some superchargers and items installed by ford have factory warranties, saleen offers a warranty as well if you have it installed by an authorized shop. Just about every supercharger can have some sort of warranty, either maintaining it or an addtional, sometimes it drops the warranty to 12 months/12,000 miles though.

yeah yeah.. i know, people still wont read it.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-02-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Tebos4

It's for those that don't know where they stand as far as warranty laws....how an individual handles it with their dealer if need be is up to their discretion.

As far as breaking your car due to mods/abuse....you know if you have been naughty or nice and your not gonna fool anyone but yourself....why argue with the dealer? Break out the wrenches and get to work or $$ pay!!!
I agree completely! I know for sure I have been nothing but 'nice' to my car. There is a TSB for the exact issue I am having. From what I understand it is the dealer's responsibility to prove that the mods caused the issue. This dealer, however, jumped right through the 'modification loophole' without even acknowledging the TSB. My question is.....how do you prove mods did/did not cause the issue? The fact that there was a TSB issued on the exact thing in 2007 makes it seem like a no brainer to me.....