Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

opinions needed on cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 08:50 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

Default opinions needed on cold air intake

i recently installed SLP exhaust on my 05 GT, and am next getting a new cold air intake system. I have heard alot of good things about the Steedas, but I don't know if i can afford to buy the flash tool, which costs more than the friggin intake! the upgrade will quickly go from $300 to close to $700. I saw this K&N intake at the link below, which requires no reflash. It doesn't give as big of a boost as the steeda w/flash, but close. opinions on this intake please

http://store.yahoo.com/spideraccessories/mustangkn.html
Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: opinions needed on cold air intake

My opinion...??? No matter what intake you get, you'll need to do a tune, too. Either Predator or XCal. Save up for it...
Old 06-25-2005, 09:15 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

Thanks Don. I'll admit i am a rookie when it comes to performance car parts, but why would they make/sell/advertise no need for tune?

Thx..
Old 06-25-2005, 09:42 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

It's no doubt better than stock, but there is so much unrealized potential if you skip the tune. And, without the tune, the car is likely to run lean (more air).
Old 06-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Robs05gtvert
2nd Gear Member

I don't know for sure, but I suspect if you don't use a tune you will throw a engine light because of the lean mixture. Get the tuner, you will love the performance.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:51 AM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

I installed the C&L CAI with the Predator tune. It is a modification I'm thrilled I did. The tune makes all the difference in the world. I think I paid about $670.00 delivered to my house. The install was straight forward and fairly simple as was the tune.

Steve
Old 06-26-2005, 01:24 AM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

I've installed the Steeda CAI and the 4.10's as well as borla cat-backs but I am still waiting on my tune. My temptation to ride her seems to win all the time. I haven't installed the tune yet but on the same note the check engine light has not come on but I fear what Don_W said about running rich because you can really hear that sucker sucking in air!

Nonetheless I will not leave her without a tune. You know....gotta take car of my baby.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Mach69to05

I've got the same set up.... SLP Loudmouth's and K&N Intake system. No tune needed at all. I did not put the H/C trap in either. Made a good difference. Throttle is more responsive and spins up quicker. If you plan on tuning it later, just save up your money and get the C&L setup. If you don't want to tune or don't want to wait get the K&N setup. I love mine, my dealer gave me a hastle about getting it tuned so I went with the K&N. [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 06-27-2005, 02:17 PM
2Stangs
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 05gtrules

Thanks Don. I'll admit i am a rookie when it comes to performance car parts, but why would they make/sell/advertise no need for tune?

Thx..

If you tune, and your engine blows, you're screwed, because when you take it in, they'll have a record of you changing the factory tune, even if you flash it back.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:05 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Thx..
[/quote]

If you tune, and your engine blows, you're screwed, because when you take it in, they'll have a record of you changing the factory tune, even if you flash it back.
[/quote]

Do you have first hand knowledge of this because I have a friend who lost a engine in his 05 at 1000 miles it had been reflashed the tune did not cause the engine to fail warranty covered the engine it is nothing like putting nitros to the engine the engine is designed to take what a tune can give it especially if it is dyno tuned.

Quick Reply: opinions needed on cold air intake