Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New (used) GT horror story

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 PM
halox07

Default New (used) GT horror story

Like I said in my shifter thread, I just purchased an 05 Mustang GT with a bunch of aftermarket parts and 30000 miles. Beautiful red with black racing stripes.

Well, today I had to travel for work and it was my first trip in the car. I was so excited. There were a couple little rattles here and there, but for the most part the car seemed perfect.

After work I decided to drop by Tulsa Car-FX and get my JBA exhaust completed with some axel backs. They put the car up on the lift and with a shocked look called me back to the shop.

He asked if I was the mechanic on the car ( which is always a bad sign), I responded with a no and he breathed a sigh of relief. He went on to unfold my nightmare...

1.) H-pipe was on upside down and the O2 sensors were there, but the wires were just cut... This led to the mounting system rubbing up against the frame and making noise.

2.) Aftermarket rear suspension was put on upside down... The bars in the back were so loose that the guy walked under them and turned them all by hand, and was able to spin the pinch nuts with a flick of the finger. This created a bowling ball in the trunk sound.

3.) My shifter was a Steeda Tri-Ax that was so cobbled together that the guy had went to the hardware store and replaced every piece of rubber bushing with metal pipe... The junction from stick to body was so broken that after it was disconnected from the transmission he was able to lift it out of the body...

4.) Then the most shocking part... He walked up to see what damage this guy did when installing the headers. He grabbed the motor mounts, and I'm not joking when I say that he picked the lower mount up and off of the car. No bolt holding it on at all...

This was my lovely afternoon. I'm so happy with the people at Tulsa Car-FX that was the best customer service I've ever had the pleasure to be on the receiving end of. I will never go to another shop as long as I'm driving muscle cars.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 PM
chuck biscuits
1st Gear Member

wow! I had a 72 camaro with the same kind of surprises.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
08GT4U
2nd Gear Member

be glad that they notice everything before something worst had happen.did you get everything sorted out?if i was you ill go over the whole car,god knows what else was install wrong.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Wow that sucks! Glad ya got it fixed though!
Old 06-13-2009, 12:45 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by chuck biscuits
wow! I had a 72 camaro with the same kind of surprises.
Yeah, but the Maros come like that from the factory...

To the OP,
You better check EVERYTHING that is noy stock on that car.
That will help for further prevention.
Good luck man.

Last edited by pascal; 06-13-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Wow. Is everything OK now?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:10 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Did you buy the car used from an individual or dealership? Either way, you should probably pay them a visit and see what they say...

Either way, caveat emptor...
Old 06-13-2009, 05:15 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

wow that is freakin nuts
Old 06-13-2009, 05:31 PM
halox07

I bought it from the dealer and I'm about to head back there right now. Everything is fine now. Took 6 hours to get it right at the best Mustang shop in Oklahoma, but it's there now and 100X better than it ever has been. Looks, sounds, and runs perfect.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Like said above, at least everything was caught before perma-damage was done, and it all could be corrected. Hopefully they found everything that was fubar'd.

Quick Reply: New (used) GT horror story