Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

06 boost problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM
all2qwik

Default 06 boost problems

PROBLEM FIXED.............i have just bought my first sc mustang.it is a 06 with a vortec sc.the problem i am havin is when i try to accelerate the car starts poping into the exhaust like its flooding and will not build boost,the boost gauge goes to a vacuum.the wideband shows 14.7 at an idle and at normal driving speeds.it appears to have a pressure side leak but i cant find any loose couplins.anyone got any suggestions?the wideband goes lean under power.seems to be a fuel problem ...any ideas on what to check?

Last edited by all2qwik; 06-22-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you think you have a leak you will need to double check all of the connections on it.

Secondly check all the vacuum lines and connections to see if there is a leak in it.

AFter you have ruled out a mechanical, then I would lean towards a tuning issue. Do some research on who has tuned the S197s in your area and then take your car to them. A custom tune will do wonders.

Another option is to get a hold of Vortech and get an installation manual so you can go over the system to see everything is installed properly.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

What does your wideband say when your at WOT?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:32 AM
all2qwik

the wideband goes crazy at wot .the car has a custom tune,it makes alot of power on the dyno at 10psi .just started having the issue this weekend.thought is might be something i was over looking
Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 AM
all2qwik

i also have all the paperwork with the car.the guy who built the car spent his money in all the right places.the car only has 18k miles on it.thanks for your help.i will check my vacuum t's
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM
all2qwik

ttt any help
Old 06-19-2009, 12:01 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

at WOT your AF should go to about 11.5 solid.. If it is going up then you might be starving the car of fuel pressure.. does the car have a Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump? If so, make sure the dial is turned all the way up.
If the AF is going to the bottom of the scale (when it is popping and sputtering), then you are dumping fuel and it's most likely a spark issue.. plugs might be fouled, maybe need a colder range of plugs or just a tighter gap, or just could be a bad plug or COP.
Gotta pay close attention to the relationship between where your throttle is at and what the AF is reading if you want to troubleshoot the problem. If you can datalog with an SCT or Diablo tuner, then you can send the data to a pro to look for problems, but if not you need to use what you have.

If you have a vacuum leak, you will likely have a rough idle. If you have a leak in the intake between the MAF and the Throttle Body, you could be going seriously lean and potentially causing damage. If you have a boost side leak you obviously wont be making boost but it will also run way lean at any point.. Lots of places to look...
Old 06-19-2009, 12:54 AM
all2qwik

thanks for the info.i have pulled all plugs and they all seemed good.it does have a kenny bell but turning it all the way up doesnt change.at an idle it shows 14.7 does fine until it trys to boost or under load.i dont have any codes poping up but i cant data log .havent figured it out yet with the sct.the car was dynoed and tuned to 93 oct.at 485 rwhp but 1 week ago i added octane boost to the car and didnt make it 10 miles down the road until the problem started.any advice will be appreciated
Old 06-19-2009, 06:09 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by all2qwik
thanks for the info.i have pulled all plugs and they all seemed good.it does have a kenny bell but turning it all the way up doesnt change.at an idle it shows 14.7 does fine until it trys to boost or under load.i dont have any codes poping up but i cant data log .havent figured it out yet with the sct.the car was dynoed and tuned to 93 oct.at 485 rwhp but 1 week ago i added octane boost to the car and didnt make it 10 miles down the road until the problem started.any advice will be appreciated
.......NEVER, EVER, EVER add octane booster to your car ever.........this is the reason your car is running the way it is.......

https://mustangforums.com/forum/6117404-post2.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-booster.html

It fouls the plugs!....get new plugs and dont go WOT until the tank of gas is almost gone and dont install the new plugs until after the octane boosted tank of gas is gone........

https://mustangforums.com/forum/6122548-post9.html

Sorry for the CAPS and the bold/underline.....I just have to stress this point so all will se and know to NEVER use octane booster esp in a car with a tune and FI.....hope this helps

Sorry and welcome to the forum!

Last edited by mygt500; 06-19-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
all2qwik

thanks for the info .big help.....

Quick Reply: 06 boost problems