Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ultimate goals for a N/A 3V GT... Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:23 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Default Ultimate goals for a N/A 3V GT... Need some advice

I plan on making the power for my car through a N/A setup for AT LEAST the next three years. With that said and the mods listed in my sig (2008 automatic Mustang GT), what else would I need to possibly creep past 400 RWHP N/A? What would be the best heads? Best Cams? Any other suggestions?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
08SmokedAlloy

Damn cuz, over 400 ponys you say, and at the wheels nonetheless..
not sure about heads or cams but as far as other suggestions go..
I picked up 15rwhp with my HP head rest, and another 10hp with a custom window decal. Maybe that in combo with a serious ground wire kit setup will put you up over the 400rwhp mark. Alright, i'm done.. my b

Ant, where my headers at???
BTW nice lip and spoiler..
Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08SmokedAlloy
Damn cuz, over 400 ponys you say, and at the wheels nonetheless..
not sure about heads or cams but as far as other suggestions go..
I picked up 15rwhp with my HP head rest, and another 10hp with a custom window decal. Maybe that in combo with a serious ground wire kit setup will put you up over the 400rwhp mark. Alright, i'm done.. my b

Ant, where my headers at???
BTW nice lip and spoiler..
lmfao the JBA's and the MAC's are on big time backorder, but I've seen people do 400/400 to the wheels on a N/A setup. Ported Heads, Stage II/III cams, LT's, Prochamber, Intake, Pullies, Aggressive tune, and a One-Piece Driveshaft might get me into the 370-380 range, then a stroker kit can net another 30-40 to the wheels and that's where the power would be coming from. I just really want to know which are the best cams, best heads, and best driveshaft based on durability and number of problems that arose and ultimately the power they gained
Old 06-16-2009, 12:32 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the DS wont really get you any hp. but i like my spydershaft. no vibration, quick thru the rpms. i heard good stuff about comp cams. and that is probly a good idea of building the bottom end first. but i wouldnt be so concerned about the 400 rwhp threshold. i mean its a number. i think having a solid bottom end that works well and is ready for the next step is more valid.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

Livernois stage 2 heads / Comp SPR stage 2 cams and the usuals. Oh and 4.56 gears.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

I'm looking to do something similar but I'd be happy with 350-360 at the wheels.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
the DS wont really get you any hp. but i like my spydershaft. no vibration, quick thru the rpms. i heard good stuff about comp cams. and that is probly a good idea of building the bottom end first. but i wouldnt be so concerned about the 400 rwhp threshold. i mean its a number. i think having a solid bottom end that works well and is ready for the next step is more valid.
That is true about having a rock solid bottom end being the cherry on top of this goal. I already know what would happen if I were to purchase a blower... slap it on, boost set to 6#. A month later, a pulley swap and boost is up to 9#. Six months down the road, still no build on the way, but hey it's all good because there's a new 12# pulley, and then KABOOM! The n/a build is one that is not seen much anymore for the Mustangs, and I believe that this route will allow me to progressively enjoy my car through it's build, until the day comes that I am ready to add the blower. The power is more of a ballpark, and I always thought that the decrease of rotational mass of a lightweight driveshaft also decreased the drivetrain loss? Correct me if I am wrong please I swear I'm not attacking you onederful100 lol
Old 06-16-2009, 06:46 PM
stang5151
2nd Gear Member

P&P Heads and a Stage II cam will certainly help out. May as well do the Delete Plates as well while you are in there, then get it custom tuned.

Mine is undergoing that transformation over the next couple of weeks. Its sitting in a shop disassembled now - just waiting for parts. I'll be hoping to reach 350+ RWHP with those mods along with the others, which are similar to yours. 400 is certainly a number I'd like to see at the wheels too, but figure a 12-15% loss from the crank and we'd need to make 450ish at the crank to get that.

I'm using BBR's stage II cams - springs required. A local shop is doing the port/polish. And I'm putting on American Racing LTs.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

While not a step by step how to get 400 rwhp, the article titled Mercury rising, done by MMFF.
Shows that it can indeed be done, but with the compression ratio they run to get it, you would have to change out pistons to lower it, if you wanted to go FI.
I think with careful planning, you could get close to your goal, with parts that would still be supercharger friendly.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

yeah higher compression ratio. I dunno but if its possible then switching to dry sump system?

Quick Reply: Ultimate goals for a N/A 3V GT... Need some advice