Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cams or Longtubes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 PM
wrx2stang

Default Cams or Longtubes?

Got some money saved up to get either cams or longtubes. Car is a daily driver with intake/tune, 4.10's, hurst sts, and stinger axleback.

Looking at either ford racing hot rod cams or the pypes longtubes with offroad h. Both are right around the same price with the cams roughly $100 more.

Which one of these will provide the best bang for the buck? Also, any estimates on average install costs for these two?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Well wrx2stang, in my opinion it's not only the bang for the buck here,
I wouldn't put Cams in without some Headers. So ya, headers first and you will feel the difference...!!!

Last edited by 07 GT E UPP; 09-01-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Headers.

You won't gain a lot with cams without headers (and CAI).
Old 08-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrx2stang
Got some money saved up to get either cams or longtubes. Car is a daily driver with intake/tune, 4.10's, hurst sts, and stinger axleback.

Looking at either ford racing hot rod cams or the pypes longtubes with offroad h. Both are right around the same price with the cams roughly $100 more.

Which one of these will provide the best bang for the buck? Also, any estimates on average install costs for these two?

Thanks
I recently got quotes for both a hot rod cam install and long tube / off-road x. The cam install price was $585 and the long tube install (including installation of polyurethane motor mounts) was $850.

Logical progression, however, as the other guys posted is to do the headers first.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
wrx2stang

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS
I recently got quotes for both a hot rod cam install and long tube / off-road x. The cam install price was $585 and the long tube install (including installation of polyurethane motor mounts) was $850.

Logical progression, however, as the other guys posted is to do the headers first.
Ok, so it sounds like its gonna be the longtubes. But $850 for the install! Thats more than I was gonna pay for the longtubes and off road h. Is that a normal install price?

Maybe I'll just give my buddy with a gto a call and see if we can get them put on. Is it very difficult to install them yourself or just time consuming?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrx2stang
Ok, so it sounds like its gonna be the longtubes. But $850 for the install! Thats more than I was gonna pay for the longtubes and off road h. Is that a normal install price?

Maybe I'll just give my buddy with a gto a call and see if we can get them put on. Is it very difficult to install them yourself or just time consuming?
I've never done it so don't quote me, but I'm under the impression you have to raise the motor some and remove a decent amount of hardware from the engine bay. Difficulty I can't comment on, but from several very respected shops I've been told it just takes time- like 9 hours in a shop, hence the install price. Sucks.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yeah the install price is high for a reason.

I had mine installed at my Uncle's shop where he has of course a lift and all the tools you could ever need and it took us a whole day. It was far from easy and jacking up the engine and taking a few parts off (like the starter, steering shaft, etc) was needed.

I have the Kooks headers which are supposed to be one of the easier sets to install. Heh.

I don't see how people do this on jack stands...

They're nuts!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Why are they nuts for doing it on jack stands?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
JMoraru
2nd Gear Member

i did long tubes and motor mounts and it really wasnt that hard. it took me a while, but i had some fitment issues. i used a garage pit and jack stands.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:51 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i paid 550 for installing LT's and o/r x pipe. no motor mounts tho.

Quick Reply: Cams or Longtubes?