Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help Weird Problem with Electrical.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
numusle

Angry Help Weird Problem with Electrical.

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and i thought that you guys might have some insight on my problem.

I have an 06 gt, in the past week my car has not wanted to start twice, i was able to get it running with a jump and it would be fine for a day. I had the battery and alternator tested and they tested good. Now here is the weird part, today i jumped it to get it started, it ran fine. but i noticed that my auto up window on the driver side stopped working, auto-down works fine, also the window will kick down a 1/4 inch when i open the door but when it shuts it wont go back up. It will also let me roll the window all the way up with the door open, it doesn't retain that 1/4 inch gap. Anyways i was curious if anyone knows what could cause this. This might sound stupid but this all started happening the day i took the front bumper off to change out the grill, I only drive the car a few times a week so i figured it was just a fluke the battery went dead. I appreciate any help you guys can give me thanks.
Tony
Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 PM
cjb7804
1st Gear Member

The window just needs recalibrated. It shows in your manual how to do it. It's something like with the door closed, roll the window down and hold the button down while the window is rolled down for 2 seconds and then roll the window up and do the same. I'v had to do it to mine before, but don't remember the exact procedure without looking at my manual.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 PM
donhall

Since your car will start and run fine when connected to a charged battery, and assuming the tests on the batt and alt are valid, then the problem could be a short in the electrical system. Your car draws about 30 milliamps (computer & clock) when not running, which will draw down the battery in about 2 weeks. Since you are losing a charge over a period of a day or two, then there is a current draw around 2+ amps. Check for any obvious lights that remain on - interior, vanity visor, engine compartment, glove box.

If no lights are on, then connect a clamp-on ammeter to the positive batt cable, and note the amp reading. Then pull one fuse at a time looking for a reduction in the amp reading with each fuse pulled. When the amp reading reduces when a certain fuse is pulled, you have located the source of your short. Unfortunately, a fuse may protect several circuits requiring additional tests.

cjb7804 has provided a fix for your window, so I don't think there is any relationship with the window motor being the source for the current draw.
To verify that the window motor is not your problem, start with that fuse first when testing current with the ammeter.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by numusle
but i noticed that my auto up window on the driver side stopped working, auto-down works fine, also the window will kick down a 1/4 inch when i open the door but when it shuts it wont go back up. It will also let me roll the window all the way up with the door open, it doesn't retain that 1/4 inch gap. Anyways i was curious if anyone knows what could cause this. Tony
Read the owners manual on the short drop recalibration procedure
that needs to be done after a battery disconnect.
And the adaptive learning also needs to be reset as well....

Window motors dont cause battery draining draws.
1.5Amps parasitic draw for my non-shaker equipped stang.....

Last edited by 157dB; 09-02-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:02 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

My car was starting very hard for a while. Battery test aren't always correct. I replaced the battery with a new one, starts right up with no problems everytime now.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:09 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by numusle
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and i thought that you guys might have some insight on my problem.

I have an 06 gt, in the past week my car has not wanted to start twice, i was able to get it running with a jump and it would be fine for a day. I had the battery and alternator tested and they tested good. Now here is the weird part, today i jumped it to get it started, it ran fine. but i noticed that my auto up window on the driver side stopped working, auto-down works fine, also the window will kick down a 1/4 inch when i open the door but when it shuts it wont go back up. It will also let me roll the window all the way up with the door open, it doesn't retain that 1/4 inch gap. Anyways i was curious if anyone knows what could cause this. This might sound stupid but this all started happening the day i took the front bumper off to change out the grill, I only drive the car a few times a week so i figured it was just a fluke the battery went dead. I appreciate any help you guys can give me thanks.
Tony
mine has done that to me a couple times, usually after i give her a bath and listen to the shaker for an hour or so, car wont start, jump her of then the windows dont want to work like urs did, usually clears its self up after a day or so.