Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Yello4u

Vehicle: 05, Mustang, GT
Unhappy Broken spark plug, how to remove?

I started with #8 and there was no issue removing the Motorcraft plug but noticed carbon buildup on the long cylinder tip- the computer told me a misfire on that cylinder so wanted to start with the plugs. Got to #6 and it also came out nice, except the lower metal casing, ceramic, and tip remains in the engine, I only got the electode and the top threaded portion.

Is there any tool or advice that can remove the remaining piece without having to pull the valve covers and other pieces off? There are no threads or anything else holding it down there... first time this has happened to me with any vehicle. Just looking for options... thank you for any advice/thoughts.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

Last edited by Yello4u; 09-26-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Yello4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT

start here, this will explain a lot

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ke...sb08-07-06.pdf
hammeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

I saw on motorweek a while back that they have a special tool for taking out the broken part of the plug. They were talking about the f150, but the 5.4 on the f150 has the same or similar heads as the 4.6 in the mustang so it should work for you. I would search the internet or motorweeks website for either the 5.4 or 4.6 3 valve.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
3v4.6l
1st Gear Member

check this link, http://allfordmustangs.com/forums/20...extractor.html
Old 09-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yello4u View Post
I started with #8 and there was no issue removing the Motorcraft plug but noticed carbon buildup on the long cylinder tip- the computer told me a misfire on that cylinder so wanted to start with the plugs. Got to #6 and it also came out nice, except the lower metal casing, ceramic, and tip remains in the engine, I only got the electode and the top threaded portion.

Is there any tool or advice that can remove the remaining piece without having to pull the valve covers and other pieces off? There are no threads or anything else holding it down there... first time this has happened to me with any vehicle. Just looking for options... thank you for any advice/thoughts.

And yet, there are still those that say these 2 piece plugs are not a problem.
18" "Fanblade Wheels"
CORSA Performance exhaust
Brenspeed 87 octane performance tune
MGW Shifter
Goldenpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Mustang Gt

Although I have not changed my plugs to date. I was also concerned about broken plugs. Found this site that sells the removal tool. According to a write up I saw somewhere it's a pretty straight forward procedure to get the broken parts out. Here is the link.

http://www.etooldirect.com/lisle-656...&cvsfp=LS65600
Saleen Supercharged,3.6 Pulley, 39 lb Injectors, wmsracing 95mm MAF CAI Stock mufflers,Stock 3:55's, Maganflow HiFlow Catted Xpipe, ShaftMaster 3 1/2 in alumium Drive Shaft ,Che Lower control Arms/Panhard Bar,Mishimoto radiator ,Rousch rear springs,CHE K-member w/torque limiters,MGW shifter,SOS Piller POD w/Autometer C2 Boost/fuel pressure gagues.
Dyno'd 442 rwhp @6200 424 Torque on a Mustang Dyno.4/2/2009
zoomerman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Yello4u

Vehicle: 05, Mustang, GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomerman46 View Post
Although I have not changed my plugs to date. I was also concerned about broken plugs. Found this site that sells the removal tool. According to a write up I saw somewhere it's a pretty straight forward procedure to get the broken parts out. Here is the link.

http://www.etooldirect.com/lisle-656...&cvsfp=LS65600
I just bought the tool, and downloaded the link (instructions) listed above. Thanks all! Will let you know how it goes. First time my GT does not run and I did to her myself.... will I ever be forgiven?
Yello4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
decipha
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1990 Ford Tbird SC

depends only time will tell if she feels as though she's been molested things will fail rapidly

you may want to give her a good wash down and detailing
decipha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 AM   #9
S197scout

Vehicle: 2006 mustang gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yello4u View Post

For those individuals who can't wait for the spark plug removal, like myself. What I did was go to home depot and purchased a large screw and drill it into the broke piece and pulled it out with some pliers. Sounds crazy, but it works.
S197scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:23 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
06, 2006, 46, 54, broke, broken, extractor, f150, gt, mustang, plug, plugs, removal, remove, spark, tool