Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking to purchase a 2005 GT but I have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Mupepe

Default Looking to purchase a 2005 GT but I have some questions

I'm looking at a 2005 Mustang GT for my project car right now and to be a stallmate to 2007 Corvette and 2005 Mini Cooper.

But first I had a few questions that I figured you guys could answer best:

1. What does a bone stock 2005 GT typically dyno? I'm sure it's not necessary, but I mean to the wheels, not at the flywheel.

2. Have there been any significant engine upgrades that would make it worth thinking of an older model? I ask because I always kicked myself after getting my 2007 Corvette with an LS2, when for just a bit more I could have gotten the LS3 in the 2008 with 30 more HP.

3. What is typically the weak point of these vehicles? Anything I should worry about? Such as a weak rear end, etc?

4. Anything else you guys can think of that I should probably know?

Thanks, guys! I can't wait to join your ranks.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
solidsnakegt89
1st Gear Member

the typical rwhp dyno is in the mid to upper 270 range. HP wise i know for sure that there isnt a difference between the 05-09. now other little diferences if there are any iam not sure about. I like the car a lot iam getting ready to supercharge here in a bit. I never found another car out there that you can have more different kinds of personal mods too...
Old 10-02-2009, 12:27 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

But first I had a few questions that I figured you guys could answer best:

1. What does a bone stock 2005 GT typically dyno? I'm sure it's not necessary, but I mean to the wheels, not at the flywheel.

RWHP is anywhere from 265-280 depends on the car and whether or not its a stick or auto.

2. Have there been any significant engine upgrades that would make it worth thinking of an older model? I ask because I always kicked myself after getting my 2007 Corvette with an LS2, when for just a bit more I could have gotten the LS3 in the 2008 with 30 more HP.

2010 has 15 more hp I believe. Engine upgrades for 05-09 don't think there is any.

3. What is typically the weak point of these vehicles? Anything I should worry about? Such as a weak rear end, etc?

Crank, Rods, and piston. I am on my 5th rearend. and if you push the hp will need a clutch. and a better fuel system and most performance mods for these cars require a new tune.

4. Anything else you guys can think of that I should probably know?

If you get one go FI!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Mupepe

Great! Thanks, so far guys. The extra price for a 2010 with 15 hp more doesn't seem worth it to me. So I'll stick with 2005

Can anyone breakdown the option packages for me? Or direct me somewhere that has it?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

05/06 mustangs had a number of common TSB and known issues. The main ones being

- Gas fill-up being difficult
- Strut mounts needing replaced with a new revised part number
- Water leak in passenger compartment due to bad seals or seam
- Passenger and Driver side door glass needing "Moleskin" to protect aftermarket tint
- E-brake has been known to "freeze" when we and the temp drops
- Also in cold wet weather the trunk can 'Freeze" shut, a little wd-40 fixs that one.

A completely stock S197 GT Manual will typically net 270ish RWH an Auto around 267ish

This is the current generation so going older would be going backwards unless you get a 4-valve motor like that found in an 03/04 cobra or an 03/04 Mach I

Weak point is the fuel system as in you will almost certainly need to upgrade the Fuel pump if you get FI.

Those are the main ones.

That's about it...Oh, and welcome to the forums
Old 10-02-2009, 01:23 PM
Mupepe

Thanks, Derf00. Great info.

And as for my previous question, I'm wondering about the names of models and packages. For example, I see S197 being thrown around while I'm reading threads right now, but I have no idea what it is. Any help in that area would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
06gt5spd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mupepe
Thanks, Derf00. Great info.

And as for my previous question, I'm wondering about the names of models and packages. For example, I see S197 being thrown around while I'm reading threads right now, but I have no idea what it is. Any help in that area would be appreciated. Thanks.

S197 is the body style name given by Ford. Just like the older models, fox bodys, SN95's and so on. I don't really think there was "packages". There are just the GT or V6, auto and manual and then you just picked from there. The newer models did have some interior packages but I don't think the 05's did. It was all options.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 AM
falcompsx

the only other difference is the Bullitt package that was available for a couple years, not sure exactly, but they also had 15 extra hp, due to a different intake and ecu tune.(easily duplicated with aftermarket on a standard model.)
Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

The 2005 GT comes as either a Deluxe or a Premium model.

The Deluxe has cloth seats, and a single CD player w/4 speakers.
The Premium has vinyl seats w/leather seating surfaces, and a Shaker 500 audio system(6 CD changer/MP3 player/8 speakers). (The Shaker 500 audio system is optional on the Deluxe model.)

Optional on both models are the Shaker 1000 audio system(6 CD changer/MP3 player/10 speakers/trunk mounted subwoofer), Interior Sport Appearance Package, Interior Upgrade Package(w/My Color), 17" polished alloy wheels, active anti-theft alarm system, front side airbags, engine block heater, and wheel locks.
This link describes the Interior Sport Appearance Package, Interior Upgrade Package, My Color, and the audio systems:
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/int.htm

Also, 2 other issues are a defective battery, and a defective fuel pump which causes hesitation when accelerating after an extended period of driving at a steady speed.

Last edited by ski; 10-03-2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by falcompsx
the only other difference is the Bullitt package that was available for a couple years, not sure exactly, but they also had 15 extra hp, due to a different intake and ecu tune.(easily duplicated with aftermarket on a standard model.)
The Bullitt was offered in an 09 model only.
It offered a different exhaust, a variable octaine tune and a CAI
for 15 more HP.
94-04 - SN95
05-09 and possably the 10' models also - S197

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase a 2005 GT but I have some questions