Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help with CAI/Tuner Combos

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Default Help with CAI/Tuner Combos

I hate to be that guy who makes a post about what I'm sure is a common question, but I was unable to find a thread that best suits my curiosity. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on which CAI and Tuner package I should go with on an otherwise bone stock 09 GT. Anyone see better performance gains on one vs another? Any suggestions or opinions would be a huge help.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Well I recently was in your same position. After reading many many posts from several forums I went with brenspeed tune jlt cai. The most popular CAI's seem to be jlt, c&l to name two. Brenspeed, bamachips and tillman seem to be the most popular tuners. The overwhelming theme I got from all the threads I read was, buy from one of those tuners. Dont just order the sct from some website and use the stock sct tunes that come from sct itself.

Bamachips website has some great info you should read about cai and tunes. He has been backed up with too many orders and not enough time recently so if your in a hurry you might want to order from somebody else. I do plan to order a tune from him when he gets caught up in the future.

Keep researching before you order, then you can make an informed decision. I will be installing my combo this weekend.

patrick
Old 10-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

All of the CAI & tune combos are equivalent in performance. What's more important is who writes the tune. Bama, Brenspeed and Tillman are very popular and have very good tunes and excellent customer support. Buy based on what suits your wallet and your eyes.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:37 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I have the c&l racer with a 93 brenspeed tune and i'm very happy with, and brenspeeds customer service is fantastic!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:19 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

The Ford Racing/Bullitt intake is great, the looks and fit are perfect. Brenspeed has a great tune for it.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I had the JLT II before the blower. It worked fine and was cheaper than most. As far as tunes, Brenspeed or BamaChips (if you're willing to wait for Bama to catch up on orders).
Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM
justin07vert
1st Gear Member

I was in your exact shoes just a few days ago. After researching the boards and speaking with the guys at Brenspeed, I ended up going with the C&L Street and SCT combo from them. I am just waiting for the kit to be shipped. I will say the Brenspeed Customer service was fantastic, and that was before I had even ordered anything. I figure once I have the tuner I can always go to Bama if for some reason I need to change up the tunes from Brenspeed...
Old 10-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

JLTII + Xcal II/III.

Doesn't really matter which brand of intake you get. Mostly it matters which tune you get to go along with the intake.

I'd recommend one of Brenspeed's intake/tuner/tune packages.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:23 PM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Thanks alot guys. Seems like Brenspeed is the way to go. I'll be putting my order in next week when a bonus check I'm expecting clears. Which brand intake will most likely be a last minute decision on which I like the best as far as looks go. Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by justin07vert
I was in your exact shoes just a few days ago. After researching the boards and speaking with the guys at Brenspeed, I ended up going with the C&L Street and SCT combo from them. I am just waiting for the kit to be shipped. I will say the Brenspeed Customer service was fantastic, and that was before I had even ordered anything. I figure once I have the tuner I can always go to Bama if for some reason I need to change up the tunes from Brenspeed...
+1 on the C and L Street, although my tune is from Bamachips. Agree that most CAIs have similar performance. If you are planning on more major mods such as longtube headers or porter heads then you might want one of the bigger CAIs such as C and L Racer or Steeda.

Quick Reply: Help with CAI/Tuner Combos