Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hey guys! Some exhaust & CAI Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:50 PM
SSJ Stang

Default Hey guys! Some exhaust & CAI Questions...

Hey guys, have a few questions. I know there's probably dozens of these threads but I wanted to tell a little story with my thread.

I've had my 2006 Mustang GT for about 3 and a half years now. It's my daily driver and I love getting into it every day. The problem is it seems everyone at work is either buying nice new cars like Infinity G37's or my boss is in the middle of buying a 2009 Shelby KR edition.

When I had my old 2000 V6 when i added dual exhaust and a cai i know it reinvigorated my love for the car and since I just bought a house this year and a new car is out of the question, I was hoping a little extra power a mean sounding exhaust would do the same thing for me.

I'm far from a ricer, but the CAI in my old car made a nice loud sucking noise when it sucked in air, almost like a turbo blow off or the sound of a supercharger. I was looking for something like that again. I dont remember what model or brand it was though.

For the exhaust i'm looking for something deep and throaty. Would my best bet be to do a full on exhaust? maybe just new mufflers?

Like I said I just bought a house so i'm not exactly spitting out money, so i'm also looking for the best bang for my buck.

Thanks for any suggestions guys, and audio or video clips would be great!
Old 10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As far as the CAI, I wouldn't bother unless you get a CAI & tune comb. Stand alone CAI = maybe 4-6 RWHP; combo = 15-25 or more RWHP (if you buy from the right tuner). It also slighty adds some sound.

Axlebacks and catbacks provide the same power gain: 0, nada, zilch since the stock system flows quite well. But they will add some sound. The only gains you'll see with exhaust work are from headers and lose the cats or hi-flow cats.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM
SSJ Stang

Originally Posted by Nuke
As far as the CAI, I wouldn't bother unless you get a CAI & tune comb. Stand alone CAI = maybe 4-6 RWHP; combo = 15-25 or more RWHP (if you buy from the right tuner). It also slighty adds some sound.

Axlebacks and catbacks provide the same power gain: 0, nada, zilch since the stock system flows quite well. But they will add some sound. The only gains you'll see with exhaust work are from headers and lose the cats or hi-flow cats.
Thanks for the quick reply. Yah i'm not looking to gain much if any HP, just a lil pick me up and some better sounding exhaust. As far as the tune, will i run into any problems with inspections, and is it something i would have to have someone do? I'm not really familiar with how it works.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Any aftermarket exhaust will sound good IMO..........putting a little $ into your stang will make it seem brand new.....mine just was transformed!!

Dont bother with a cai unless you get a tune/cai combo. I just installed mine........freaking awesome!! Look for the thread.

patrick
Old 10-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A CAI & tune install is very easy and requires some basic tools and about 1 hour. Uploading the tune is plug'n'play and takes only a few minutes. There are some good install video's on the Brenspeed website. Even the custom 87 octane tune kicks azz over the stock tune.

Here's a satisfied customer: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-jlt-cai.html

Last edited by Nuke; 10-31-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:26 PM
SSJ Stang

A CAI & tune install is very easy and requires some basic tools and about 1 hour. Uploading the tune is plug'n'play and takes only a few minutes. There are some good install video's on the Brenspeed website. Even the custom 87 octane tune kicks azz over the stock tune.

Here's a satisfied customer: https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-jlt-cai.html
Nice...

808, do you have a sound clip of the CAI in action? Like i said I was looking forward to that nice loud sucking sound.

So this is something someone like me with little mechanical knowledge can do with no problem. Do you have a link to this tuner/cai combo so I can check it out myself. I usually run 89 by the way....
Old 10-31-2009, 05:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Here's the link to the combo packages on the Brenspeed site. You should be able to find install info. http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...r-package.html

I typically run the 89 tune as it suits my style of driving. The 93 tune that I have tends to pull harder in the uppwer RPM's which would work if I went to the strip but the 89 pulls harder in the low to mid range. If you contact Brenspeed they can answer all your questions.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 PM
SSJ Stang

Here's the link to the combo packages on the Brenspeed site. You should be able to find install info. http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...r-package.html

I typically run the 89 tune as it suits my style of driving. The 93 tune that I have tends to pull harder in the uppwer RPM's which would work if I went to the strip but the 89 pulls harder in the low to mid range. If you contact Brenspeed they can answer all your questions.
So there's really no difference between the cheaper JLT and the much more expensive Saleen version? It's all the same tune right? just a different intake?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSJ Stang
So there's really no difference between the cheaper JLT and the much more expensive Saleen version? It's all the same tune right? just a different intake?
The tune is tailored to the intake plus other mods and the PCM. The differences in the intakes are so minor that I personally don't put any stock in the dyno sheets claiming one better than the other since you can get similiar differences with the identical car and CAI on subsequent pulls.

You'll see much more difference in performance between a Brenspeed tune and the FRPP or SCT or AM tunes then you'll see between any of the tune-required intakes.

Some intakes are made from better quality materials than others and the ones with metal intake tubes are SAID to hold more heat than the plastic or composites but I think even that difference is so minor that I wouldn't sweat it. There's tons of info on the internet so read up until you're satisfied. But as I mentioned earlier, call Brenspeed. Their customer support guys will answer all your questions.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:56 PM
SSJ Stang

The tune is tailored to the intake plus other mods and the PCM. The differences in the intakes are so minor that I personally don't put any stock in the dyno sheets claiming one better than the other since you can get similiar differences with the identical car and CAI on subsequent pulls.

You'll see much more difference in performance between a Brenspeed tune and the FRPP or SCT or AM tunes then you'll see between any of the tune-required intakes.

Some intakes are made from better quality materials than others and the ones with metal intake tubes are SAID to hold more heat than the plastic or composites but I think even that difference is so minor that I wouldn't sweat it. There's tons of info on the internet so read up until you're satisfied. But as I mentioned earlier, call Brenspeed. Their customer support guys will answer all your questions.
Thanks, you've been a big help. How is brenspeed's exhaust stuff? Also, for the deep low growl im looking for am I better off with just the mufflers, or full exhaust package?

Quick Reply: Hey guys! Some exhaust & CAI Questions...