Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this super charger good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Scord

May i just say that you need to SLOW THE HECK DOWN BOY!!!!!! So far, both the supercharger kits you mentioned, will blow up your engine, and leave you with no money and a broken car, and if you could detune the car so far to make those power hungry monsters work safley on the car it would be the same as if you put a 2.6L Kenne bell or a Vortech V3 Intercooled, on your mustang, expect you just spent WAY MORE for NOTHING

If i was you i would focus on supporting mods rather then the biggest supercharger you could find.... Its not all about power my friend, Ive beaten Supercharged GT's because all they did was through a Twin screw on the car and did nothing to the Tires or suspension. Granted, they will beat me on the freeway all day, but 1/4 mile it comes DUMB close.

Get a 5k Supercharger kit, get it installed and Dyno tuned for 1k, Get some suspension & good tires for 2k installed and some gears 3.73 for twinscrew and 4.10's for Centerfuge for 500ish installed. Now you got yourself a Fast, Fun, Supercharged, BEAST. Just keep the Boost/PSI under 11ish, and or 450RWHP seems to be the magic number, after you cross the bottom end will blow up. Granted, there are no safe routs to go while putting boost in an engine. And there are factory freaks out there, like my friend with an 550RWHP+ Hellion Turbo Mustang GT on stock block. But dont asume your so lucky.

Ohh and, you can save 1-2k on a supercharger kit buying used, Just make sure it came from a decent driver, and had not been abused. Most superchargers will last longer then the engine now'a'days.

Goodluck with what ever you choose to do.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:53 PM
JM05

I was putting down 493 to the wheels on my D1sc Procharger before I decided that I wanted to turn up the boost it is very costly when you want to get above 11 to 12 pounds of boost and have the engine to hold up. You really need to do a lot of research. The fuel system will need to be upgraded along with new injectors and fuel rails. New motor mounts and much more.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

What the hell? Did my post disappear? Anyway, 450rwhp is in no way the limit on these cars. Most intercooled kits have canned tunes for plenty more HP than that right now. Gears should be chosen based on full application and purpose of car.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Scord

Originally Posted by nineinchnail1024
450rwhp is in no way the limit on these cars. Most intercooled kits have canned tunes for plenty more HP than that right now.
What kits are you talking about? Actualy there are Very few kits meant for the stock block that will make "Plenty" more hp then 450 at the wheels.

Guess it depends on your idea of plenty is though... my idea of plenty is 490+ and your crazy if you think the stock block will handle that without effecting its life spand with a supercharger.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You can buy a 550hp whipple kit from any ford dealer that is designed for the stock block. I've been running 11 psi and 488rwhp down the drag strip for quite some time without so much as a hiccup. After you've been on the forum for a while, you'll find that most boosted members are running high output kits in excess of 450rwhp and there are only a couple of failures attributed to bad tuning or user error. There are now several members running in excess of 500rwhp. The S197 block is in no way limited to 450 rwhp. That myth has been busted since 2006 at least. I'm not crazy, I'm an experienced performance tech that knows the real limits of this motor.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I think you need to do a lot more research man. All of the kits you have described will grenade a stock block no problem. Take a look at brenspeed.com, and through their various supercharger packages. That should give you a good idea of whats out there. Who tunes the car is more important than anything else. Generally speaking, people say up to 440rwhp or so is "safe", however there are no guarantees.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:58 AM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

fact of the matter is you will blow up ur car faster then a kid with some gas u need to calm down and read alot more u clearly dont know what your doin and by my guess why you are doin it. i dont want to sound like an *** but damn man dont waste 40k+ if u can afford to lose it crank up the boost and video tape it plz
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
DLZ314
2nd Gear Member

I realize I'm about 2 weeks late on this thread, but I'm curious to see how your decision making is going. What did you decide to do?

Just for my own curiousity, what were/are you driving before you bought or as you shop for a Mustang?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

Well, i'm putting down 515 hp to the tires and just ran 11.46 @ 118.52 today with stock drive shaft, stock exhaust manifolds, stock upper control arm and stock converter. And that is with a box tune from JDM. I ran 11.75 @ 118 on stock 555 Nitto's (no drag radials). The automatic is very forgiving on tires and suspension. Stick with a 2.6L and get some decent tires and you'll be fine. Full specs below.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AndrewG.T.
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=15

Is it good? Can I use it for the 315HP V8 GT Premium Mustang? I dont know much about cars.. Thats why im here!

DOOooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo it!

Quick Reply: Is this super charger good?