Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Adverse effects of modding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 08:34 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Default Adverse effects of modding?

Well, like the title suggests, I'm curious about any longterm effects of mods to our cars. Even something as simple as a CAI/tune, could that wear the engine down faster than normal, throw rods out, hurt the transmission, etc.?

Thanks, and happy Turkey Day!

Eric
Old 11-26-2009, 09:31 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Mostly, the thing that gets worn down is your wallet!

CAI/tune, no problem.

If you go FI, too much boost will kill the stock bottom end of the engine, esp if the tune is not that good. 450 HP I've heard is the limit, I've heard some cars running 500 HP on stock internals.

The more extreme you go with mods, the more wear on the car ( Ex: higher HP strains the trans, clutch, etc) and daily driving, and ride quality goes down, but you'd have to get pretty radical for that to happen, it depends how far you want to get into it.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

shiet breaks lol.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 AM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

I'm not looking to go F/I or anything, just a few simple bolt-ons. My brother-in-law was basically advising against this, as he's heard bad things about his coworker's Chevys and how badly a tune/chip messed things up. I always assumed that, if done right, there's nothing to worry about, but he was adamant about me not buying toys.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:32 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Mustangs are built to be rebuilt. So what you blow the engine? The trans drops? Time to go crate or built. If you are worried about a cai hurting your car over the long term- get a Honda or Toyota. A stock GT is like a blank canvas. What you do with it and how far you go is up to you. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there are limits to what you should reasonably do but the reason this forum is here and the reason that the Mustang is the most modified car on the market is because they were designed and built to be customized. In short, get the CAI and tune and sleep easy.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:41 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

another effect of modding a mustang is a BIG SMILE when you drive it.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:25 AM
IWinULose
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ejanderson05gt
I'm not looking to go F/I or anything, just a few simple bolt-ons. My brother-in-law was basically advising against this, as he's heard bad things about his coworker's Chevys and how badly a tune/chip messed things up. I always assumed that, if done right, there's nothing to worry about, but he was adamant about me not buying toys.
Get my drift? =]

Originally Posted by S197winstang
Mustangs are built to be rebuilt. So what you blow the engine? The trans drops? Time to go crate or built. If you are worried about a cai hurting your car over the long term- get a Honda or Toyota. A stock GT is like a blank canvas. What you do with it and how far you go is up to you. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there are limits to what you should reasonably do but the reason this forum is here and the reason that the Mustang is the most modified car on the market is because they were designed and built to be customized. In short, get the CAI and tune and sleep easy.
I agree. If you have the budget and the sense to research your options, make the car yours. Do what you want with it. I've modified cars, trucks, boats, atvs, and motorcycles to my liking for years. I will continue to do so for many more years. Modifying is my passion. If it has wheels and/or a motor, I want to take it apart, open it up, see what makes it tick, and modify it to my tastes. This can be an extremely expensive hobby, but with so many options on the market, it is only as expensive as you make it. My final thoughts are do what you want to do, not what your brother-in-law wants to do. After all, it's YOUR car and YOUR wallet. Happy modding, friend.

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
another effect of modding a mustang is a BIG SMILE when you drive it.
Oh my, we wouldn't want that. lol
Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Dude get the CAI and tune! You'll quickly realize that your brother in law was wrong... One thing to consider is which company you go with.. I recommend the following..FYI a custom tune is the way to go..

VMP tuning
Brenspeed
BAMA chips
Old 11-27-2009, 09:26 AM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ejanderson05gt
Well, like the title suggests, I'm curious about any longterm effects of mods to our cars. Even something as simple as a CAI/tune, could that wear the engine down faster than normal, throw rods out, hurt the transmission, etc.?

Thanks, and happy Turkey Day!

Eric
None of the above. If fact your car will run more efficiently with better performance.

Last edited by GT John; 11-27-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I've had the CAI/with brenspeed tune since almost the begenning and my car was bought november 2004. I haven't any problems. I also have 4.10s, underdrive pullys (no air flow problems) .Only problem I have is I want to go faster. The car now isn't too shabby. My friends at work think it's the true deal. I also have mac axlebacks and macprochamber with cats.

Quick Reply: Adverse effects of modding?