Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Kooks vs. American Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

I ordered my Kooks from MarylandSpeed. Great customer service. I had one small inquiry, sent an email, and I received a call within 10 minutes to resolve the issue. I shopped around and they offered the best price on the product, free shipping, free O2 sensor extensions and even had free jet coating! The quality of these headers and the cat'd x-pipe are incredible.

I installed mine last Sunday night, started at 6:30 pm and was able to drive the car to work the next morning at 9:00 am. Installation is not for the faint of heart. I had to unbolt the passenger MM bracket and jack the motor, and on the driver's side, remove the dip stick, steering rod, MM bracket and jack the motor. Not because of any issue with the Kooks, but simply because there is not enough room to get the new headers up to the heads.

Installation was a long process, but I did it at night, with a shop light, on one set of jack stands, a floor jack and simple hand tools. You will need an assortment of extensions and swivels. There is no way I would want to try and fit a lesser quality pair.

You can just hear and feel that the motor is breathing easier and the butt dyno does notice a difference. IME, you get what you pay for.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:55 AM
90stang5.0
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know if you can service the clutch with the Kooks headers in place? ARH said you can. Do you guys recommend coating or not? Finally, did anyone purchase locking header bolts so they don't loosen up at the heads? thanks.