Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Kooks vs. American Racing Headers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 02:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Lethal usually runs a 5-10% discount around this time a year. I jump on them last year when they ran it and saved some dough. They are good guys there and might work you a deal if they dont have the coupon code up yet this year
Old 12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I would have liked to have had my kooks coated. Oh well.

Since with kooks the O2's (front and rear) are closer to stock locations, they'll be easier to tune any CEL out and making it easier to pass emissions (with cats) than ARH will. That's why I went with the Kooks for the just-in-case reason. Plus the gains between the two is quite insignificant. The longer headers, like ARH, do look the most awesome though.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:19 AM
yellowjohn1

Have you given any thought to using pypes primaries and just getting a kooks midpipe to save money? I am considering this as I have heard the pypes are pretty much an exact copy of the kook's. Anyone's thoughts on this?

I just had to use this smiley, it's freakin hilarious
Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 PM
hirevn
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yellowjohn1
Have you given any thought to using pypes primaries and just getting a kooks midpipe to save money? I am considering this as I have heard the pypes are pretty much an exact copy of the kook's. Anyone's thoughts on this?

I just had to use this smiley, it's freakin hilarious
I was told this also. Pypes copied KooKs headers and there built from the same matriel at a much lower price. I am not concerned about cats so i was leaning towards the pypes and then having them coated before install. Still not sure what to buy yet.
Old 12-24-2009, 04:59 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
either one is top quality. you can't go wrong with kooks or ARH.
+1...... .. .
Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
Well, here's what I have heard about ARH: Because they are very long, that you lose some bottom end torque. Also, because the O2 sensors are so far downstream, the tune has to keep the O2 sensor heaters on all the time to correct driveability issues, from what I understand the sensors "cool off", and the PCM goes open loop, closed, etc, making the car run like crap, like at stop lights, and then when you go, it straightens out. (Thats how it was explained to me).

They are high quality, ARH is a spin off of Kooks (former Kooks employees), and the quality and fitment of both are great. Definitely two of the best headers out there, period. And if someone says they're too expensive, well, you get what you pay for!
I have 1 5/8" ARH long tubes with OR X pipe, and I do not have any of the driveability issues mentioned above. I did have a CEL after installing them with a Brenspeed provided tune. I called Brenspeed up, and they emailed me a new tune that works perfectly. They told me that the O2 sensor location of the ARH headers is a lot like the sensor placement of JBA headers. I went with ARH since I got a good deal from a forum member. I'm not sure how ARH headers are a spin-off of Kooks, because from what I can tell is that the ARH long tubes are longer than the Kooks long tubes and as a result the ARH mid-pipe is shorter than the Kooks mid-pipe. This also changes the placement of the O2 sensors.

Either way, I think both headers will be fine. If you are absolutely certain that you are going FI, then get 1 3/4" primaries otherwise I would personally stick with the 1 5/8" primaries.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

That is the only size they come in. If you want 1 3/4 you'll have to go with something else. FWIW you can make plenty of power with a supercharger and Kooks 1 5/8.
Kooks makes 1 3/4" long tubes. What are you talking about?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:09 AM
MarylandSpeed
Former Sponsor

One thing to consider is that Kooks makes theirs in the US on exhaust specific machinery. A lot of times when a product is made of the same material but signifigantly cheaper it is made overseas. When that happens, the stuff gets made at some Chinese contract manufactuer who spits out headers between runs of Walmart lawn furniture. Their benders sometimes cannot bend the radiuses needed consistantly, and the quality and attention to detail is not as good since the product is not theirs.

Again..if anyone wants Kooks, I strongly implore them to call us @ 443-730-9428..we have some great Holiday deals..some of which are listed in the thread below!

https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...save-more.html
Old 12-31-2009, 09:38 PM
2006gtmike
2nd Gear Member

Are the potentional gains about the same between the Kooks and the ARH headers on supercharged applications?

I am looking into getting catted long tubes with an H-pipe (due to the sound of an X-pipe).

Motor vehicle inspections are the only thing that worry me, but I was told a tune fixes that.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM
sSsmokin!!

KOOKS

Quick Reply: Kooks vs. American Racing Headers