Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tubes VS. Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Do you have to worry about emmissions? I live in Cali of which I am worried about getting pulled because I have long tubes (they could impound my car if they wanted because of long tubes). If I were to do it again I would just comply with the state emmission laws.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:57 PM
MarylandSpeed
Former Sponsor

Shorties are kind of the flip flops of the header world. They are cheap and easy to put on . That being said, you don't want to get stuck trying to win a foot race in a pair of flip flops. Shorties are your only option however if you want to pass CA emissions.

Either way, I run LT's on all of my cars..they typically make 15HP or more than shorties would on a bolt on car.

We have a great sale on Kooks where you can get free coating..or if you don't want coating, you can call us for more money off. If anyone needs help, give us a call @ 443-730-9428. Thanks!

The details on the sale are here-
https://mustangforums.com/forum/vend...save-more.html
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 AM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

Long tubes are a foundation mod. By themselves they dont give you a ton of HP, but they add a little to almost EVERYTHING else you do (cams, porting, even FI).

Look at a set of shorties, then look at your stock manifolds. What about the slightly (if any at all) diffrent shorties makes more power? Is it magic pipe or something? Long tubes on the other hand are PROVEN to flow better. If all you plan to do is headers, the maybe LTs aren't for you. But if you plan on doing anything to your car after, LTs will benefit you in the long run.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BFMacias
Do you have to worry about emmissions? I live in Cali of which I am worried about getting pulled because I have long tubes (they could impound my car if they wanted because of long tubes). If I were to do it again I would just comply with the state emmission laws.
That's an urban myth. You have to be cited and show a persistant neglect and disregard for attempting to comply with the law.

As long as you aren't street racing you shouldn't be hassled.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Simon. I actually thought my world would damn near end if I were pulled over.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swat 79
I agree...Cams and headers seem to give our cars anywhere from 35-50 rwhp, where as a cai and tune is at best 30 rwhp. There is a pretty big price difference betweeen cams and headers and a cai and tune tho.
And someone thats not really car smart can install a CAI and tune for free... where the headers and cam install would consist of taking it to a shop and costing a lot to have put in.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 AM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeitzelGT
And someone thats not really car smart can install a CAI and tune for free... where the headers and cam install would consist of taking it to a shop and costing a lot to have put in.

Like myself haha. How much does it usually cost to install headers and cams?
Old 01-02-2010, 11:58 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

My highway fuel economy went up from 22 mpg to 25 mpg by installing the JBA ceramic shorties. My accelerometer claimed an 8rwhp increase as well, but that isnt the most accurate device.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swat 79
Like myself haha. How much does it usually cost to install headers and cams?
Im not sure on the cost, I know it shouldnt take a master certified tech. long to do it though. As for prices, there again, not sure since Ive never had it done...

Im somewhat car intelligent but I'd still say Im a amateur, Im not 100% but it seems like headers could be a somewhat easy install for a beginner?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BFMacias
What are you going to do when it comes time to smog? I would like to have L/T installed, but they will fail the smog. Some "shady" shops may hook test equipment up to a "tester" car, but with Cali is cracking down on these shops.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes VS. Shorties