Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How much N/A whp is possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 PM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

it takes alot money.. and a good engine and builder.. my motor has some really good stuff in it.. RGR built.. HP is 420hp my tq is 389tq at wheels.. with stock heads and small nsr cam .480
Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 PM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Mike,

What's your displacement? Do I understand correctly that your cam is only at .480 lift? I don't suppose you'd share the duration and lobe seperation.
14.5 and the cam is a stage 2 nsr comp cam.. nothing special.. so just think with heads she would be a solid 10.50 car for sure.. the way it is now i should click off some 10.90's if i drive it...lol i dont power shift it and i lay down a 11.26 and i left at 6200 rpm.. i will leave at 6700rpm this summer..
Old 12-31-2009, 11:15 PM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BFMacias
I think that Mike Castaldo is running the big bore Livernois block. I want one so bad....do you guys think they sell that block with a lower compression than 10:8 to 1 as posted on the Lovernois site?
nope no big bore.. and nope no lovernois.. RGR block..
Old 01-01-2010, 12:53 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The way I see it, the more crap one has bolted on to the car, the more likely something will break eventually. Especially with a fine tune that is nit picky.

Why bolt on a dozen or so parts on and gain a 55whp, when you can bolt on a simple 100+ whp, with ONE big mod? Especially for a daily driver/weekend warrior...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 AM
mike castaldo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
The way I see it, the more crap one has bolted on to the car, the more likely something will break eventually. Especially with a fine tune that is nit picky.

Why bolt on a dozen or so parts on and gain a 55whp, when you can bolt on a simple 100+ whp, with ONE big mod? Especially for a daily driver/weekend warrior...
i hear ya.. but doing it with just motor anlone makes people go ooohhhh aaahhhh... thats cause not many people do it or can aford to do it.. and the feeling of a car screaming at high rpm is just sick..
Old 01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Eaglestroker is over 400RWHP too.....he has his motor forged and many other N/A mods....think he is going FI soon....I will PM him
Old 01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mike castaldo
i hear ya.. but doing it with just motor anlone makes people go ooohhhh aaahhhh... thats cause not many people do it or can aford to do it.. and the feeling of a car screaming at high rpm is just sick..
Thats the only reason I was considering going N/A......nothing like an all motor screamer, but then again there is nothing like the wine of twin screw.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

lol I have nothing against all motor. As a matter of fact, I want to either build up a 4.6 stroked to a 5.0 or possibly a 5.4 Navi motor and build up that bad boy.

One of my classes next semester is motor repair/building. Still trying to convince the instructor to "lend" me the 5.4L we've got laying around but I don't think he's gonna budge lol.

When it comes to daily driver though, I'd stick to a blower/exhaust/tune.

(-;

Sorry to say, but once my GT is built up.. I may be getting a 2012 Challenger SRT-8 (hopefully with the 6.4) and leave it I/E/Tune, daily driver.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
I'm at 330rwhp with the goodies in my sig. Skip the heads unless you plan on going big in the future. I plan on eventually going to forced induction, but I'm taking the longer, more expensive route. I will go forged internals first and raise the compression to get the most out of N/A. At that point I will have a motor built to handle higher HP than the 450-500whp limit of the factory rods. My tuner assures me he has 800+hp forced induction cars running 12:1 compression on pump gas....I would expect rwhp in the high 300's with that kind of compression and the mods I already have.

FWIW, I lost some drivability with my setup. Between 2000-2500, I lost around 50ft/lbs of torque......this is the tradeoff you will make with a cam that you wouldn't have to make with forced induction. I think the heads probably contributed to the low end loss as well.
You can do anything you want once..... If they told you that, I would be seeking a new shop.

it takes alot money.. and a good engine and builder.. my motor has some really good stuff in it.. RGR built.. HP is 420hp my tq is 389tq at wheels.. with stock heads and small nsr cam .480
Now that's where I'm going to disagree with you Mike. It doesn't have to take a ton of money, it does however take a lot of knowledge. It's when you have to pay for the knowledge that things get expensive. You are most certainly right when you say it takes a good builder, I had my motor and car done by the same shop and couldn't of been happier.

Originally Posted by mygt500
Eaglestroker is over 400RWHP too.....he has his motor forged and many other N/A mods....think he is going FI soon....I will PM him
The last dyno before gears was 378 @ the rear on an MD, on a dynojet it would be around 415..... on 9.3 : 1 compression

To the OP, tell us how much you want to spend and it would help to guide you in the best direction (power vs. budget). Big power can be had, the biggest mistake you can make is to just start buying parts. When it comes down to making N/A power people seem to forget it's not rocket science. Sure it's a new platform, but power is made the same ways. Your upper echelon of engine builders understand this and there are some pretty complex things they work on when it comes to intake manifold design, heads, and cams which are the make or break portion of your build. If you go to an all motor route just remember it is definitely a give and take, you give it up down low to make big power up high.

Quick Reply: How much N/A whp is possible?