Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shortening of life by adding Forced Induction

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Default Shortening of life by adding Forced Induction

I like to occassional stomp the pedal for a quick road challenge, but it is still my daily driver in the fair-weather months.

All of the other cars I have had "save a cobalt" were foreign: Saab, Mazda, Nizzan.
Based on that, I don't have a good understanding of what a Ford Mustang would get for total mileage if left stock.

By adding a turbo and running 8psi on a stock motor, how much am I shortening the life?
150k until death? I understand it depends on how you drive it, but what are your experiences? I would love to hear.

How much is that life expectancy increased by adding forged internals?
modded shortblock?

Thanks guys...and girls.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you take care of your car, it will take care of you. There is no reason the 4.6l 3V shouldn't see 200K miles if driven mostly conservatively and maintained properly.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:45 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

Good tune and not pushing it to far and I'd imagine it's last plenty long, that's what I'm hoping LOL and one of the reasons I went stage 2 Saleen over the stage 3, a little less boost so a little less strain on the engine.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:53 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

what starfire said...I'm shooting for his exact numbers (425, 404)
Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Wow, thinking of 150k? I don't think I could get that out of bone stock and granny driving. I would look to a centri if your really worried about engine life and low boost. i am looking to add a ts setup to my 06 gt. I think the turbo would be great if it was really tuned well for the car. My first pick would be a sallen ts or possibly an edelbrock e force.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Stay with the stock rev limit and it will last a weeee bit longer too. My first oil analysis was right in line with a stock 3v. I'll be doing another analysis soon.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

it will shorten the life of your engine. It just depnds on how you drive it, will determine how long it will last. Your putting every part of the drivetrain under more stress. That being said it should last a while if you don't take it to the track all the time. Just make sure you invest in all the supporting mods and you should be fine. Besides even if you blow it at 100k you should be able to get a block with forged internals installed for 5-6 g's.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

It's not like there aren't stock SCed engines, I had a GTP that I swapped pulleys on, did some exhaust work and CAI, it had 100k when I traded it in, still ran like a top, did drop the trans though on it lol. Made my own tune on it too!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:00 PM
raredesign
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for all the info!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Big50
it will shorten the life of your engine. It just depnds on how you drive it, will determine how long it will last. Your putting every part of the drivetrain under more stress. That being said it should last a while if you don't take it to the track all the time. Just make sure you invest in all the supporting mods and you should be fine. Besides even if you blow it at 100k you should be able to get a block with forged internals installed for 5-6 g's.
Of topic, but how did you manage a 12.10@111mph with a 1.64 60 ft? Did you let off before the end or are you at a high altitude. Given your hp#'s and 60ft, I would of expected a lower ET and a higher trap speed.

Originally Posted by Starfire
It's not like there aren't stock SCed engines, I had a GTP that I swapped pulleys on, did some exhaust work and CAI, it had 100k when I traded it in, still ran like a top, did drop the trans though on it lol. Made my own tune on it too!
Some of those factory motors have forged pistons or rods or both.

Quick Reply: Shortening of life by adding Forced Induction