Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Different TPMS Sensors for 2010 Mustangs..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Ok time to clarify this crap, you have a 2010 ? No you don't according to your sig. I',m not going to explain how you put a 2010 into train mode, you can google it, but involves pumping brakes, turning key on and off several times and then the damn horn beeps, on dash says Train Left front, you stick the tool they use on valve stem area, car horn beeps, says train right front, horn beeps and you go to rears and when complete says on dash, training complete, I'm telling for a fact with proper pressure in tires I drove home...I drop the pressure down on a rear tire 20 lbs cause not run on a low front risking a blow out cornering testing these stupd things, 10 mins driving the light came on low pressure, the 2010 are valve stem sensors, older stangs used bands and I have no idea how those worked but I know how the '10 works , you can be a bad *** cyber banter, ranter whatever, but it doesn't change fact I'm right end of story, I'll not address this anymore, you try to share some real life experience here on this forum all time and always catch **** , all the testing and watching dealer figure it out too I know how works, the thing I learned at dealer was after car sits too long the things won't train until you drive them for about 5 to 10 mins and wake them up then they train, and if the dash says to train this wheel and that wheel then makes sense when move the wheel to new location it knows.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 08-11-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:57 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

here saved you a search....

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
Press and release the brake pedal.
Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place by the valve stem.

Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.

Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.

NOTE: Do not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.

Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire valve stem. Press and release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB.
Yes, you are correct on that procedure, except that is for training NEW sensors to the vehicle. Not when you rotate. the tmps light does not tell you which tire is low, just that one of the four is low.
And read my sig again, better yet here is a pic of my 2010.

Look closely you will see my '91 and my '08 in the background and the '00 is tucked in the garage
Old 08-12-2010, 10:22 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Sig Noted.............now go let the air out of a tire and drive, test your self, I just know what happen to me if your lights up saying A tire is low, I never said what tire was low, but that I had a low tire, I let the air out so I knew which one was, all I ever did with my 2010 was drive and rotate every 5,000 and never questioned until i tested due to my Caddy going flat and did not know until I was parked next to a Firestone and came wonder why was so low, the caddy did not have them to that explained that, but the Stang was supposed to so when tested and did not work I questioned it and was told due to rotating I they untrained and once dealer trained, I let air out and drove, within 10 mins the light came on first time in 14 months, you know, just trying to share here so if you want to continue to insist I'm misinformed or whatever you are trying sell go ahead I'm done with subject, so until you test and make the light come on, I'll treat you like anyother stang along the highway.......Hmmmm, nice ride, got to get home.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 08-12-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
This doesnt make much sense. When I changed out the rims on my 2010 the car was parked in the garage with the old rims right next to it, after I started the car I had no light but after getting about 20ft down the street the light came on. Also upon return the light went out as soon as I got near the garage again.
You mean 'it makes sense', dont you?
The old OEM rims are reporting the correct pressure
until you get out of range and then a TPMS light?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

157dB-yeah I ment it did make sense.

GTJT2010- read my previous post about the tires sitting in the garage. Funny thing is they are stacked up in the corner of the garage and the sensors work until I get a certain distance away. If they work stacked up in the corner of the garage then why would they stop working if their position on the car was rotated. The dealership is feeding you a line of bull**** and you swallowed. What did it end up costing you for them to "retrain" the factory sensors to the same car?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

was free, just my time, they could not figure out why would not train, while i waited they had free computers, i googled why won't train, saw something about sensor batteries going to sleep so battery don;t die and to wake up they must be in motion for few mins, so guy drove around few mins. trained right away, i even bought tool and it only made horn sound on front left and rest would not, got money back from ford and that's when they trained with their tool, what you are experiencing i believe, my buddy tom, 10stang same as you i think, i will let air out my 2011 this weekend to see if light comes on, while only 800 miles on car, then if comes on when i rotate, will test at 5000, and we'll see.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:30 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

I'm struggling here guys....So if I get aftermarket wheels, I need to do what to get TPMS to play nice? Also, I didn't know it was the stems for 2010. Thought it was bands.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Cresent- you dont need the tpm sensors if you dont care about the light on the dash and know how to routinely check your tire pressure. You can also just have the factory sensors swapped over to your new rims if the light bothers you.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:32 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I did 20's on mine I just went by book said could not swap stock with aftermarket but I also kept stock wheels adn tires for winter did not want to ruin summer rims with salt, I bought the 315 MHZ sensors, yes 2010 has valve stem, some are metal, our are rubber looking, look just like a reg. valve stem, but I watched take a tire off a 2010 that was at tire shop when I was there, same car I had and when I questioned they put monitor at just tires by stem and their tool tis nice, when they hold next to stem, gives the freq. of sensor, temp of tire, and PSI, what a simple way to chek but 2500.00 no way LOL.
But like i was telling pony...I never got a light when they were not working by doing that release of PSI to 20 lbs in a rear tire, so after ford trained my stock wheels that air was let out again, light came on,and that's where was told that when you rotate you have to retrain, matter fact they told me if you keep tire too far from car for a certain time and put back on may not work again and need retrained, so like i said before I knew all this I had been rotating tires twice, that was when I decided, hey does this crap work, do i really have, they look like reg. valve stems.........and so here I am LOL that just my experience, you are in NC, hey look me up Clayton.NC

These are the ones came with Godspeed wheels

But right now with new car, keeping stock wheels, I'd rather have this LOL

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 08-13-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Different TPMS Sensors for 2010 Mustangs..