Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Different TPMS Sensors for 2010 Mustangs..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^ WTF does that second pic of a key in a locking cylinder have anything to do with tpms? And learn to type in sentences that are understandable.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:11 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

ha..ha....nothing but we can file it under, I'm done with this thread....need to secure my gas cap now, on to new topic....got to run, time to fight crime...DRIVE SLOWLY...LOL
Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
ha..ha....nothing but we can file it under, I'm done with this thread....need to secure my gas cap now, on to new topic....got to run, time to fight crime...DRIVE SLOWLY...LOL
You on the job?
Old 08-13-2010, 06:20 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I was a cop in SC for 3 years back in 80's, lets just say I'm still involved in it, but a different capacity lol, not cuffin and stuffin anymore, but cyber side.

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 08-13-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:34 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

tires cool this morning, checked psi, set all at 42, let air out of right rear, 25 psi in there going for a ride see if system working, air compressor in trunk, talk later.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:13 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Ok....I'm back, drove 20 mins, no lights came on with only 25 psi in right rear, stopped for lunch, drove another 20 mins. no lights, so came home, called ford dealer, asked if they had time to train/look at the TPMS, they said sure bring over, .......now they are 30 mins away, I told them what I had done, that I have 25psi in right rear and I'm not getting alerted if syytem is working, they said 25 in there should have set off , .....especially with 40 mins of driving, so I told them I was going to let out 5 more psi and drive over, if comes on I will call and cancel, return home , guess what happened? just like my 2010 GT, 10 Mins down road tire indicator light on speedo side and low pressure showed where your mileage shows, pictures below of the tire at 20 psi, thats 22 psi less than what I run, can't realy tell low looking at it, .......here's a dashboard shot. between walking 2 miles at 7 am, weedeating, cutting grass, raking, trimming bushes, washing car, shopping and doing this test, time for golf I recorded, I'm spent, lol...and yep, about a $80 tire gauge from northern tool, very accurate, heat from driving must brought up to 20.7, I even stopped after light came on and filled to 25psi light stayed on, soon as got home filled to 42 psi started car light went out. (disclaimer, this is internet spelling and grammer not checked, read at own risk, but was proof read)

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 08-14-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:37 AM
sundog33

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Strangely enough, I put on new wheels with out TPMS sensors, and have no alarms, go figure!
So, I think this is what I was looking for.

I want to get some winter tires and cheap rims from TireRack but don't want to pay the $165 for the TPM's.

Sounds like I don't have to if there are no anoying alams.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 PM
thepartsman

Default Tech truth about TPMS sensors and tools.

Hi Guys...

Unfortunately there are a lot of mistakes or maybe just misunderstandings on this thread, I would like to clarify something. To preface, I want to mention that our company is a supplier of new TPMS Sensors and OE Installation Tools to the automotive industry.

Here are the main issues I'd like to discuss...

1. There are two frequencies in our industry... 315 and 434 MHz (no 420)
2. There are only two types of sensors, those on bands (center of rim) and those mounted to the rim via a valve stem.
3. There are only two types of valve stems, a rubber type (snap-in) and an aluminum stem and nut system (clamp-in)
4. Tire shops are required to replace the snap-in and reseal the clamp-in, every time the tire is taken off the rim.
5. On some vehicles, the TPM sensor will self program by driving after an install but do not rely on it if installing more than one sensor.
6. Whenever you rotate tires you must reprogram the sensors so that their new location is sync'd in the ECU (computer). This can possibly be done by driving, but most likely needs to be done with the manual procedure or through the OBDII connector (under dash) by using a professional tool*.
7. You can put on a set of rims/tires without sensors (put in std snap-in valves) if you don't mind the MIL (dash light) being on, but it is illegal for a show to do it. (Note that some vehicles may require you to push rest button on in-dash electronic monitors, each time you restart the vehicle.)

There are many more technical issues, but I did not want to drive everyone crazy. The bottom line is you should put sensors in your tires, not take them out. They are a safety issue and there is a federal law against disabling them.

Part of 49 USC 30122(b); known as the “make inoperative” provision of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (TREAD ACT)...

2. If the customer has an extra set of wheels to be installed and refuses to either install the OEM sensors or purchase another set of sensors for those wheels, can the shop install the wheels?

According to NHTSA, "a service provider would violate the ‘make inoperative’ prohibition of 49 USC 30122(b) by installing new tires and wheels that do not have a functioning TPMS system. To avoid a "make inoperative" violation, the service provider would need to decline to install the new tires and rims, use the TPMS sensors from the original wheels (if they are compatible), or convince the motorist to purchase new TPMS sensors and ensure that the sensors are properly integrated with the vehicle's TPMS system."

"We are admittedly surprised by NHTSA's response that aftermarket tire and wheels must include TPMS sensors," said Roy Littlefield, TIA executive vice president. "Based on the language in the April 2005 Final Rule, we believed that the presence of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) would notify the driver that the TPMS was not operable as a result of their decision to decline new sensors or pay for the additional labor to install the original sensors in the aftermarket tire and wheel assemblies. While we have some genuine concerns regarding consumer backlash, it is clear that the Federal government is requiring retailers to make sure the TPMS continues to function following the purchase of aftermarket tires and wheels."

For any of you in need of sensors, I made up a special set for Mustangs when I bought new wheels for my 2010 pony. They are unique in that we can "clone" the original ones in the vehicle. If you just want to add a set of wheels (winter, drags, etc) you can set them to reflect the original ID number (from the OE part). When you switch the wheels, the lights go out because the car thinks the are the original sensors. If you just want to move up in wheel size, clone the originals and you again do not have to worry about reprogramming when you replace.

Only one issue, you need a small programming pad that hooks to your computer. It allows you to go to our website and download the OE sensor software for your specific car, in only about 30 seconds. You then click and move the info into our blank sensor, along with the original serial number from OE sensor. You can likewise do anything you want in the future, simply by going back online for resetting, when ever the need arises.

If you are not following all of this you can contact us and we will be glad to explain in greater detail. This may not be the cheapest option on a single vehicle, unless you are going to pay retail for a shop to install new sensors and then do the resetting procedure for you. Our Clone-Able Sensors are about $55 each and the mouse pad reprogramming tool is about $150 (one time purchase). Again, this may sound expensive but you only buy the pad once and then its free to use over and over, forever. If you have friends or belong to a club you can split the cost of tool and use the website at no additional costs, ever.

If you do want to purchase a full blow reprogramming tool we are the OEM and number one in the world. There are three options and the best does not cost $2500 as mentions in one of the posts.

Base Unit (Reader Only)... $250
Top End Reprograming Tool... $600 (No pad required)
Top End Full OBDII Reprogramming Tool... $1100 No pad required)
(Note: These tools work on all vehicles, not just Mustangs)

Here are the sites, for more info on all of the above.

www.ateqTPMStool.com
www.UniversalTPMSsensor.com
www.GWRauto.com

Gary (The Parts Man)

1(800) 266-4497
Best time to call tech line is 1pm to 8pm EST
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Wow, what a way to drum up business.
Join a Forum and advertise on product related posts...

4 posts and counting...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...and-mount.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...r-package.html

Fork the TPMS and squint at the indicator.
Your wallet will be fatter for it...
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^dont forget that they are 2-3 year old post too.

Quick Reply: Different TPMS Sensors for 2010 Mustangs..