Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs > GT S197 General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypromanGT View Post
Oh, boy. I had a feeling that questions was coming I personally have NOT done this before, so please take my advice at your own risk. I believe there is such a thing as "MAF Cleaner" that you can use (obviously) on the MAF. Likewise, I believe that is a throttle body cleaner. You're best bet is to wait for someone else to chime in here and/or search around the forums; I know it's been mentioned several times before.

I cured this same problem by cleaning my MAF really good. i now do it every time I change the oil.

Just go to your local Autozone and buy a can of MAF cleaner. DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER OR ANY OTHER CLEANER. MAF specific cleaner doesnt leave any residue. Just remove the sensor and make sure you disconnect the wiring harness before spraying it. Spray it down really good and give it a few minutes to dry thoroughly. Replace and you're good to go!

To the OP, you may also try bumping up your idle speed by 50-100 rpms using your programmer. My SCT2 allows me to adjust the driving idle and neutral idle. i had to do this for my BAMA tune a while back.

Good luck!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

05 GT Prem,5spd,JLT2 w/Bama race, 4.10s, Steeda UDPs, Street Scene Gen 1 bodykit, Eibach prokit springs, hoodpins, Hurst shifter,O/R-H, various other appearance mods, Boomtube Crew
Exhaust Clip
harraid5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by harraid5711 View Post
DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER OR ANY OTHER CLEANER.
Good luck!
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Looking back on my post, I wasn't nearly clear enough (and there was a typo that made it even worse). My intention was to say:

1. Use MAF cleaner for the MAF.
2. Use TB cleaner for the TB.

I'll edit my previous post to make it clearer.
-- 2008 Alloy Metallic Mustang GT Premium --
C&L Street - Bamachips TQ Tune - FRPP Stingers
Prothane Motor Mounts - MGW Shifter - Chaser Sequentials
Ford replaced: 2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Premium (Water Leak Edition)
HypromanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Oh, gotcha. I'm notorious when it comes to typos so I understand.

05 GT Prem,5spd,JLT2 w/Bama race, 4.10s, Steeda UDPs, Street Scene Gen 1 bodykit, Eibach prokit springs, hoodpins, Hurst shifter,O/R-H, various other appearance mods, Boomtube Crew
Exhaust Clip
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, Ford, GT500

Cleaned my MAF sensor(Wasnt very dirty), took out battery, re-installed tune and I am still having the problem. I am thinking about doing the sparks soon even though there is only 24k on the car I figure its good to get the motorcraft ones out now anyway. Anymore ideas if the sparks dont work?

Last edited by simplexdesign; 02-08-2010 at 05:23 AM.
simplexdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Still having the Problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have Cleaned the MAF Sensor, Cleaned the Throttle Body, Changed the Spark Plugs, Changed the Fuel Filter, Took out Battery and Re-Installed my Brenspeed 93 tune
Old 03-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #16
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT Auto

CRC MAF cleaner, dont brush or wipe it just spray it according to diections on the can....CRC Throttle body cleaner again read label to be sure it is safe for the coated TB's like ours. Both can be found at NAPA and are what I use on mine. Disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance, I would invest in haynes or chiltons manual as well. If I remember correctly the MAF uses 2 #20 torx screws and the TB is 2 8mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts(deep socket).

2006 GT Auto Roush 2.3L TVS JDM Tuned and other stuff
Mikes_BLK_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #17
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT View Post
CRC MAF cleaner, dont brush or wipe it just spray it according to diections on the can....CRC Throttle body cleaner again read label to be sure it is safe for the coated TB's like ours. Both can be found at NAPA and are what I use on mine. Disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance, I would invest in haynes or chiltons manual as well. If I remember correctly the MAF uses 2 #20 torx screws and the TB is 2 8mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts(deep socket).

I hate when people do not read thru threads thoroughly or at all for that matter. This has all been done like I stated ^^^
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #18
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ford Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexdesign View Post
Still having the Problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have Cleaned the MAF Sensor, Cleaned the Throttle Body, Changed the Spark Plugs, Changed the Fuel Filter, Took out Battery and Re-Installed my Brenspeed 93 tune
Long shot, but can also check for any vacuum leaks, and/or clean the air filter. Check the bolts attaching the intake if you've added the delete plates. Also, check the mounting screws for your MAF.
Usually the idle issue ends up being a dirty throttle body, have you also cleaned the side behind the butterflies?
20yrs of mini-vans
1970 Grabber Blue Boss 302
1969 Lime Green Notchback
1967 Maroon Vert.
aircare84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:27 AM   #19
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircare84 View Post
Long shot, but can also check for any vacuum leaks, and/or clean the air filter. Check the bolts attaching the intake if you've added the delete plates. Also, check the mounting screws for your MAF.
Usually the idle issue ends up being a dirty throttle body, have you also cleaned the side behind the butterflies?

Haven't really checked any vacuum lines. Cleaned Air Filter, All bolts are tight, The Throttle body got completely taken off and cleaned.

If my MAF sensor was just bad for whatever reason I am sure it would be throwing a code?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

how about changing the throttle position sensor on the throttle body? I fixed an idle issue on another car by doing this. It was a pretty easy/cheap swap.

Exhaust Clip
Old 03-24-2010, 01:46 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 2006, 410, 46l, battery, decel, decelerate, deceleration, disconnected, drops, gears, gt, idle, leaving, mustang, rpm, stalls