Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Irregular idle on Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HypromanGT
Oh, boy. I had a feeling that questions was coming I personally have NOT done this before, so please take my advice at your own risk. I believe there is such a thing as "MAF Cleaner" that you can use (obviously) on the MAF. Likewise, I believe that is a throttle body cleaner. You're best bet is to wait for someone else to chime in here and/or search around the forums; I know it's been mentioned several times before.

I cured this same problem by cleaning my MAF really good. i now do it every time I change the oil.

Just go to your local Autozone and buy a can of MAF cleaner. DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER OR ANY OTHER CLEANER. MAF specific cleaner doesnt leave any residue. Just remove the sensor and make sure you disconnect the wiring harness before spraying it. Spray it down really good and give it a few minutes to dry thoroughly. Replace and you're good to go!

To the OP, you may also try bumping up your idle speed by 50-100 rpms using your programmer. My SCT2 allows me to adjust the driving idle and neutral idle. i had to do this for my BAMA tune a while back.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:23 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by harraid5711
DO NOT USE THROTTLE BODY CLEANER OR ANY OTHER CLEANER.
Good luck!
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Looking back on my post, I wasn't nearly clear enough (and there was a typo that made it even worse). My intention was to say:

1. Use MAF cleaner for the MAF.
2. Use TB cleaner for the TB.

I'll edit my previous post to make it clearer.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

Oh, gotcha. I'm notorious when it comes to typos so I understand.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Cleaned my MAF sensor(Wasnt very dirty), took out battery, re-installed tune and I am still having the problem. I am thinking about doing the sparks soon even though there is only 24k on the car I figure its good to get the motorcraft ones out now anyway. Anymore ideas if the sparks dont work?

Last edited by simplexdesign; 02-08-2010 at 04:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Still having the Problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have Cleaned the MAF Sensor, Cleaned the Throttle Body, Changed the Spark Plugs, Changed the Fuel Filter, Took out Battery and Re-Installed my Brenspeed 93 tune
Old 03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

CRC MAF cleaner, dont brush or wipe it just spray it according to diections on the can....CRC Throttle body cleaner again read label to be sure it is safe for the coated TB's like ours. Both can be found at NAPA and are what I use on mine. Disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance, I would invest in haynes or chiltons manual as well. If I remember correctly the MAF uses 2 #20 torx screws and the TB is 2 8mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts(deep socket).
Old 03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
CRC MAF cleaner, dont brush or wipe it just spray it according to diections on the can....CRC Throttle body cleaner again read label to be sure it is safe for the coated TB's like ours. Both can be found at NAPA and are what I use on mine. Disconnect the battery before doing any maintenance, I would invest in haynes or chiltons manual as well. If I remember correctly the MAF uses 2 #20 torx screws and the TB is 2 8mm bolts and 2 10mm nuts(deep socket).

I hate when people do not read thru threads thoroughly or at all for that matter. This has all been done like I stated ^^^
Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Still having the Problem and any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point I have Cleaned the MAF Sensor, Cleaned the Throttle Body, Changed the Spark Plugs, Changed the Fuel Filter, Took out Battery and Re-Installed my Brenspeed 93 tune
Long shot, but can also check for any vacuum leaks, and/or clean the air filter. Check the bolts attaching the intake if you've added the delete plates. Also, check the mounting screws for your MAF.
Usually the idle issue ends up being a dirty throttle body, have you also cleaned the side behind the butterflies?
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 AM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Long shot, but can also check for any vacuum leaks, and/or clean the air filter. Check the bolts attaching the intake if you've added the delete plates. Also, check the mounting screws for your MAF.
Usually the idle issue ends up being a dirty throttle body, have you also cleaned the side behind the butterflies?

Haven't really checked any vacuum lines. Cleaned Air Filter, All bolts are tight, The Throttle body got completely taken off and cleaned.

If my MAF sensor was just bad for whatever reason I am sure it would be throwing a code?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

how about changing the throttle position sensor on the throttle body? I fixed an idle issue on another car by doing this. It was a pretty easy/cheap swap.

Quick Reply: Irregular idle on Deceleration