Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

what tunes are people using

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what tunes are people using

ORIGINAL: bahbahblacksheep

hmmmmm...your predator tune is adding timing but if you're pinging, then the knock sensors are pulling back timing and its kinda counter productive if you know what I mean.

Very true, I suggest backing the timing off in the 4-6k (I assume thats where the pinging is occuring) range off by halves until the pinging goes away and then by one more .5 to be sure, and make sure you have quality gasoline. Also try increasing the MAF curve by one, this helped me a little.

If the knock sensors detect detonation they will back the timing off by more than the stock degree to correct it so this will more than negate the benefits of increased timing over stock.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:32 AM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

Dave/Bahbah,

thanks. I'll try that once the car is back from the body shop.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:07 AM
bdtank

Dave-thanks a bunch that was helpful. And yes-I put the C&L/Predator/x-pipe/SLP setup on yesterday. I really love the sound, the jury is still out on the power curve. I can definitely tell I will need to do some tweaking, it feels like I have a flat spot accelerating through 2nd at about 3-4k rpms.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:32 AM
cobra1990r

I am new to the board but my friend and I have a shop in Oklahoma and have done lots with Mustang but we just purchased a 05 Mustang which seems to be a lot different than any Mustang. We have been playing with the car on the dyno and bone stock it made 270hp & 288TQ on a dynojet. We purchased a predator for the car and put it back on the dyno and data logged the run and the stock timing past 4000rpm stayed at about 23 to 24. A/F was about 12.8 through the entire run. We installed the 93 octane tune and and made another pull making sure the car temp was the same and the intake air temp was the same and logged the data again and saw 31 to 32 on the the timing and the A/F was about 13.0 and the Mustang lost 6hp and less TQ. I uninstalled the tune and installed the 91 octane tune which showed 28-29 degrees of timing and A/F was 12.8 and the car made 275hp and 292TQ. We picked up about 5hp and TQ but that was all we have gained. We made a few more pulls and the last pull the timing stayed the same but we lost a lot of power to the tune of 266hp. We ran out of time that day to make more adjustments but as of right know we are not very impressed with the tunes and the Mustang seems to have a mind of its own. I am going to contact Diablo and see if they have any suggestions. Has anyone else done some dyno tuning and have any numbers on the dyno? Tonight we put the car back to the stock tune and made a pull which was 270hp to the rear tire and then installed a Maganflow Cat-back system and only went to 273.58hp. Not much of a gain for the money. It is a little frustrating but we also installed a ZEX nitrous kit and made a pull with tha 100hp jets but the bottle pressure was only at about 750 and the Mustang made 350hp and 403TQ. It feels awesome on the juice. Does anyone offer a colder plug yet? Sorry for the long post but look forward to any suggestions.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

im not that crazy about my tune either i have a93 octane tune and c&l cai

what should i tweak to make it better?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

can't tell, you need to get a dyno readout, then start playing with parameters
Old 08-05-2005, 12:25 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

can't tell, you need to get a dyno readout, then start playing with parameters
I totally agree...every car is slightly different...so you really need a dyno or data-log to see what your particular car is doing.
You can increase your spark and fuel, but without some data, its hard to see if you are at optimal levels

Old 08-05-2005, 12:32 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cobra1990r

I am new to the board but my friend and I have a shop in Oklahoma and have done lots with Mustang but we just purchased a 05 Mustang which seems to be a lot different than any Mustang. We have been playing with the car on the dyno and bone stock it made 270hp & 288TQ on a dynojet. We purchased a predator for the car and put it back on the dyno and data logged the run and the stock timing past 4000rpm stayed at about 23 to 24. A/F was about 12.8 through the entire run. We installed the 93 octane tune and and made another pull making sure the car temp was the same and the intake air temp was the same and logged the data again and saw 31 to 32 on the the timing and the A/F was about 13.0 and the Mustang lost 6hp and less TQ. I uninstalled the tune and installed the 91 octane tune which showed 28-29 degrees of timing and A/F was 12.8 and the car made 275hp and 292TQ. We picked up about 5hp and TQ but that was all we have gained. We made a few more pulls and the last pull the timing stayed the same but we lost a lot of power to the tune of 266hp. We ran out of time that day to make more adjustments but as of right know we are not very impressed with the tunes and the Mustang seems to have a mind of its own. I am going to contact Diablo and see if they have any suggestions. Has anyone else done some dyno tuning and have any numbers on the dyno? Tonight we put the car back to the stock tune and made a pull which was 270hp to the rear tire and then installed a Maganflow Cat-back system and only went to 273.58hp. Not much of a gain for the money. It is a little frustrating but we also installed a ZEX nitrous kit and made a pull with tha 100hp jets but the bottle pressure was only at about 750 and the Mustang made 350hp and 403TQ. It feels awesome on the juice. Does anyone offer a colder plug yet? Sorry for the long post but look forward to any suggestions.
Thanks for the info...nice write up! Its very interesting that you made more power with the 91 tune and actually lost power with the 93 tune. There are a few people here that aren't impressed with the diablo 93 tune(Maybe because you lose power with it?)

Old 08-05-2005, 12:45 AM
cobra1990r

bahbahblacksheep

Have you had a chance to dyno your 05? I am curious to how the SCT tune performes. We will keep trying different things with the 05 and see what we can do.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:31 AM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

cobra, no one is making a colder plug yet. i have the same kit and all we did was change to autolite plugs. i dont know if it was a bad plug but the car picked up about 5hp on the dyno. that sure is some good numbers for a bone stock car. we only got 250 out of mine. but once again that was with the old plugs. i have to put the water pump ,pulleys, and charge motion plates on this weekend. oh yeah i ordered the throttle body spacer too. should be here today. thank goodness i have a 4 day weekend. but anyway, with the cai and tune it put out 288hp.i think the guy tuning my car bumped the timing up to 34 total, i dont have a problem with pinging, but i do run 93 with lucas octane booster.

Quick Reply: what tunes are people using