Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A Ford Dealer Wouldnt Honor My Waranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Rob72
1st Gear Member

Dealers don't get as much per hour doing warranty work as they would from a paying customer. He probably had enough work at the time and didn't want to mess with a P.I.T.A. like that. It doesn't matter where you bought it. They are under contract by Ford to fix it regardless. I'd report them to Ford.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
MustangGTpurist

punch him in the throat and walk out
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes you have to play hardball with them. The dealer I bought my car from told me if I put a ford part on there and something went wrong they would cover it. I went in about 9 weeks later with clutch problems and they said it was due the 4.10's THEY put in and they said they wouldn't honor it. I complained alot an they put the new clutch pack in coverd. This sounds bogus to me.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I used to be a service manager years ago. Crap, I'm over 50! I'm not sure if the rules are still the same, but our dealership got chewed when we exceeded our warranty quota. It was based on how many vehicles we sold vs. the actual warranty repairs we performed. A bent axle is a questionable warranty repair. Axles just don't bend by themselves. We used to get pretty frustrated doing other cross town dealers warranty repairs as it effected our quota. Also warranty work does not pay very well. The flat rate manual from the factory is very conservative on the repair times that a dealer can charge them. Hence the mechanics, the service adviser, service manager and the dealer get paid less for warranty work than customer pay work.

To be honest, you bought your car from an across town competitor and then took it to another shop and expected them to repair an issue that is very suspect. As a service manager I probably would have denied you warranty repair also. Remember that each dealer is independently owned and they are usually loyal to the ones who buy their cars from them. Suspect warranty repairs such as yours are up to the discretion of the dealer. Legitimate clear cut warranty issues are a different story. We also had to present the old parts to our district service manager for final approval before they paid our warranty claim. Looking back I could just hear him saying to me "what were you thinking, I'm not paying for this claim". Then my @$$ would have gotten chewed by the owner. It sounds to me that the repair should have been handled through an insurance claim.

Last edited by jerjan; 04-22-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by howarmat
they are if FORD approves the work. we might be missing some facts to the story, like how it got bent perhaps
I was just waiting for the 'how did it get bent in the first place' question.
Thats why they didnt warranty it. They have been around the block a few
times with dishonest customers claiming warranty work when it was customers
caused, not warranty. This service manager is covering his **** by
sending you back to the dealership YOU claim sold you a mustang with
a bent axle. That would/should have been noticed a lot sooner than 500 miles
and the service manager knows it.
Just the fact that you didnt return the mustang to the point of purchase with
500 miles on it with complaints and showed up at his dealership with the
problem is one big ol red flag....
Thats the FISHY part...

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
I went in about 9 weeks later with clutch problems and they said it was due the 4.10's THEY put in and they said they wouldn't honor it. I complained alot an they put the new clutch pack in coverd. This sounds bogus to me.
If anything, 4.10s put LESS stress on the clutch because of the increased mechanical advantage
4.10s have over 3.31s or even 3.55s. during take-off.
Now excessine slipping of the clutch is another story but not caused by 3.31s or 4.10s...

Last edited by 157dB; 04-24-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
cummins cowboy
2nd Gear Member

I had a steering issue with my truck, you could feel looseness in the steering wheel. I bought my truck from dave smith in idaho, which is a volume internet dealer, meaning local dealers here in salt lake know of them and hate dave smith. anyways while my truck was still under warranty I suggested to them the ball joints were bad, they said they were not. I took the truck back later with just over 40k miles on it, 4k past the warranty and was told the ball joints were bad. I knew this was going to cost me 1k out of pocket, so I went ape**** on the service guy right there in the service building infront of everyone. I was so pissed I wanted to break something as they told me they were not going to fix anything, add to they said why don't you take it back to idaho where you bought it. doing business with the selling dealer does have weight when it comes to warranty issues.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:16 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

dealerships have their warranty calims watched carefully by ford. if they are high in one area or another such as driveline, they can be audited by ford motor company. its my experience that if a dealer is high in a warranty area, for whatever reason, and has a first time customer come in with a car that was bought from another dealer for a high dollar repair in said area, they will send them back to the original dealer to avoid a warranty audit. nothing fishy.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
MOOK3456
4th Gear Member

I gotta say, I'm not sure why you're not already at the dealer who sold you the car with the bent axle...I'd be in there rippin ****'s until it was replaced.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:59 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by MOOK3456
I gotta say, I'm not sure why you're not already at the dealer who sold you the car with the bent axle...I'd be in there rippin ****'s until it was replaced.
Thats cus he slammed it into a curb while forking around and wont admit it.
He wants our sympathy or something.
Axles just dont bend for no reason.
I just dont know what this post is all about.
Seems he is learning lifes lessons the hard way and dont like it....
Old 04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
VRFlip
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Thats cus he slammed it into a curb while forking around and wont admit it.

Originally Posted by xxPIKExx
...take a look at a rear brake squeak and it seemed to ride a little unbalanced at lower speeds.

Sounds to me like his problem was subtle, and the primary reason for the trip to the dealer was his squeaky brake. There was another guy on this forum with bent axles on his car when he drove it off the lot. They replaced his for free.

If this dude curbed his car hard enough for the axles to bend, don't you think there'd be some obvious signs that he'd done so? Specifically damage to the wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: A Ford Dealer Wouldnt Honor My Waranty